recliner hinge level2- gear swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nakman

addict.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.gamiviti.com
With the recent resurgence in recliner hinge interest, I though I'd provide an update to my latest recliner hinge endeavors.. first assumption is you're already well versed on the original recliner hinge mod, and already know about removing hinges and removing the heads of pins. Second assumption is that you're too cheap to just buy the real thing from Mot, saving yourself quite a bit of time, and minimizing the risk that you'll screw up both your 2nd and 3rd row seats forever.

If you're still with me, here goes. As you know from assumption 1 your 3rd row seats provide the highly sought-after incremental adjustment, after one does the first hinge mod, because of its many-toothed gear. The second rows only provide 2 settings- full erect and full recline. So the solution then, is how do I get the good gear from the 3rd row hinge installed in the second row?

Let's take a look at the hinges. I drew a 2 on the second row, and a 3 on the third row, both are from a RH side seat. Notice how when alighned, the two top sections appear almost identical, the only difference is the bottom "leg" of the hinge, and of course the gear.
hinge_compare.jpg
hinge_compare2.jpg

So the to take the hinge apart, first close the hinge to relieve some of the big spring tension. Then pop that coil spring of, then pop off an E-ring below it around the large hinge pin. Then remove the lever spring, and grind off the two rivots that are holding the lever assembly to the top part of the hinge. Once you get it all apart, you'll see that the gear is held on to the bottom portion of the hinge by 3 more rivets- 2 are just rivets, and one is a dowel pin that sticks out, and travels inside a slot that's been cut out of the hinge. This dowel acts as your "hard stop." But basically all you need to do is remove all 3 pins, then break that gear free.. the pictures below are of a 3rd row seat (the one I was least worried about fubaring..)
hinge_apart1.jpg
hinge_apart2.jpg

Last edited:
What I did to put the hinges back together was drill into the rivet stub with the drill press, holding it with a vice grip so it didn't spin. I drilled it to tap some 8-32 threads, then cut down some screws and put those in place with a washer, basically replacing the ground off rivet head with a washer and screw head. I only got as far as taking the 3rd row apart and ran out of weekend, but will hopefully tear into the second row this coming weekend and complete the gear swap. I estimate it'll take 2-3 hours per side when all's said and done.

But in the end, I should have fully adjustable 2nd rows, and the 3rd rows in the attic above the garage will be demoted to just 2 positions. I did take the bottoms of the 2nd and 3rd row hinges and line them up, and it really appears that those rivets in the gears are in the same location. That's the only show stopper at this point that I haven't fully accounted for. stay tuned..

Last edited:
Good show! Act two??

DougM

Nice, lookign foreward to the results, my 3rd row just sits in the living room as spare seating, does not need adjustable recline, the second row could really use it.

This will kill my reclining hinge business! :flipoff2: :rolleyes:

Just kidding! ;)

Please do keep us posted. I may just use one of the hinges I get, but I would be interested in doing the 3rd-row seat recline, too!

Good luck!!

Mot

thanks for the support, IdDoug & Raven.. hopefully 'act 2' is Saturday afternoon, I'll be sure to post up my pics and progress if so..

Mot, since you have access to the real deal you should just run with those.. much less hassle. Also your 3rd rows already recline "incrementally," you just need to take out that one pin (the basic recliner hinge mod). The picture above shows both types of hinges with that pin removed, here it is again:
hinge_compare2b.jpg

Yes, yes, yes yes yes... yes! this totally works. 80 series :princess: mod history just took place in my garage.

I pulled both right side hinges off again, and drilled through the remaining rivets that I hadn't got to yet. In total, there are 6 rivet heads to remove, if you count the pin you removed in recliner hinge mod #1, or 5 total if you've already done that. Yes, rather than subject the neighborhood to a lot more grinder noise, I chose to drill them out this time on the drill press, which worked much better. Here's a quick play be play...

1. Revove the hinges, remove both the coil spring and the lever spring, remove the E-ring from hinge pin.
2. Drill all the way through the 4 rivets that hold the unit together, plus drill fairly deep into the one rivet that holds the "hard stop" pin to the gear. Used a #30 drill, tried to get as on-center as possible but that's not critical. Why all the way through, you ask? makes chip removal a lot easier when tapping, plus allowed me to use standard 1/2" screws so I didn't have to cut any down.
3. Once my small holes were drilled, I swapped bits to a 1/2" bit, then used the small hole as a pilot to drill away the rest of the rivet head. Got as far down as I was comfortable with, then cleaned up the rest of the head with the grinder until the surface where the rivet head was is totally flush.
4. A punch and MSFH worked great for separating the gear from the lower hinge arm. I tapped a prybar between the upper lever support piece and the supporting posts to get it to separate, be careful you don't bend any of the sheet metal, take your time, or your hinge won't work as well when you put it together.
5. Now that the hinges are apart, I switched drills to a #29, which is the tap drill size for 8-32. Drilled all of my holes bigger, then tapped threads. Again, on the blind holes in the hard stop pin, just tapped as deep as I could.
6. Once all the pieces are tapped, swap the gears then press the gear into the lower arm support. I deburred the rivet posts a little with a file to get them to start, but if you support tha back of the rivet then smack the top with the MSFH, it'll press together nicely.
7. Reassemble the hinges, securing with screws & washers in place of the rivet heads you removed earlier. I did have to cut down the screws that went into the blind holed rivet.
8. Reinstall, #6 time. :bounce:

Pic below shows the second row hinge, same one as above, but with the 3rd row's many-toothed gear installed. Note the screws holding it together, instead of rivets. Only thing is in the pic I put the lever spring on the wrong hole, it didn't "snap in" to gear very well, but once I moved it up to the hole that's a little higher on the lever, it worked much better. Pic quality not so good, left the digi at work so I had to use the wife's camera phone. But you get the idea..
hinge_swap.jpg

Last edited:
Good job and congrats! ;)

Hope this thread will become a part of the FAQ.:cheers:

Mot

thanks, Mot.. to my recliner hinge brother! :cheers:

One clarification to the picture in post 2 above, you drill those three rivets from the other side, not the side with the gear shown in the photo. the two rivets and the rivet opposite the pin actually stay fixed to the gear. That should be obvious when it's in your hand, though.

so far I've only done the right side, left side should only take about 2 hours hopefully, now that Ive figured out the ways.. :cool:

Nice one NAK...

That's on my to do list. Maybe to make it a better FAQ...and to keep those from asking too many questions...you could do a pic by pic process on the more critical steps to see what you're tlaking about. Thanks again.

Yes, yes, I will take more pictures tomorrow evening- an "exploded",drawing, so to speak. LX_T is that your rig in your avatar? Trust me dude, you will be way pimpin, rollin down the .. suckin on gin & juice.

Left side only took 1.5 hours today, since everything was out and the steps were all in my head.. drilled both hinges at once, saved me 3 drill setups.

but trust me guys, this works.

Thanks Nakman!

:beer:

Very nice effort!

:beer:

thanks nakman, did my right side this morning, everything is pretty straightforward...I drilled all rivets from the same side, whoops never thought about it till after. Left side I'll drill opposite side. I didn't tap the holes, just drilled em out and installed self tapping screws. Also the two rivets that hold the gear (along with the dowel) I just used some fat stainless machine screws with medium threadlock cause of my screw up and then self tapped the dowel back in place. I thought I hacked them up with lots of marks but when reassembled it looks clean. definitley worth it!
:cheers:

nakman said:
Yes, yes, I will take more pictures tomorrow evening- an "exploded",drawing, so to speak. LX_T is that your rig in your avatar? Trust me dude, you will be way pimpin, rollin down the .. suckin on gin & juic

Thanks ill expect the pics ASAP :rolleyes: By the way that LC80 in my avatar -628HP single Turbo, forget about the Prince of Arab -White LC80 500Hp :flipoff2:

Brwnj, you da man, dude!! Way to take the leap of faith.. Alright, hold tight everyone, more pics coming real soon.

edit: ok, first some recline positions. The left seat will remain at "full upright" throughout...
reclinerhinge_1348.jpg
reclinerhinge_1349.jpg
reclinerhinge_1350.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom