No Brakes!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, new member here, although I have been lurking for a while. My '99 Land Cruiser's brakes suddenly decided to stop working. Pedal goes all the way to the bottom and the result is 5% of the usual braking force. The ABS and BRAKE lights are on and there is an annoying tone that won't shut off.

It did this a few weeks ago, but then magically fixed itself and everything was back to normal again.

From what little I have been able research, looks like it could be the master cylinder, or booster pump, or accumulator. Is there an easy way to know for sure what has failed? Yes, I already know how much these parts cost for this vehicle, which is why I'm trying to figure out exactly what's broken before fixing it.

Is this a DIY job, or is there some specialized computer needed to "code" or "initialize" the system after the repairs?

TIA,

-Luis Marques

You will need a computer to read this code, Sorry, but I do beleive you will need to see a dealer or someone that speciallizes in toyotas(I would not want just anyone to work on this, personally) that will have the computer to read what is wrong. This is a 4 channel system with a High pressure pump instead of a vaccuum booster. This could be a problem, If it is unsafe to drive, have it towed to some one that can help fix this problem.
later robbie

The only thing worse than having a vehicle that now-and-then won't start is having one that now-and-then won't stop! Better get this fixed ASAP!

What's the fluid level like in the brake reservoir? Is your current braking capacity just like trying to brake with the engine off while rolling down a hill?

Robbie,

Do you know if any odb2 reader is compatible with specifically the brake computer systems on 100's, or does Toyota have their own prop interface for these type of modules?

Bielecki said:
What's the fluid level like in the brake reservoir? Is your current braking capacity just like trying to brake with the engine off while rolling down a hill?

Robbie,

Do you know if any odb2 reader is compatible with specifically the brake computer systems on 100's, or does Toyota have their own prop interface for these type of modules?
Here's another web site on OBD-II. According to this site and the pins wired in the test socket, the ISO protocol is used in the 00 model year (not PWM or VPW protocol).

http://www.scantool.net/products/index.htm

Long story short, the electric motor of the ABS/Booster pump quit working - failed open circuit. With the accumulator empty and no way to pump it back up, the ABS shut down and the system went into "failsafe" mode. Some Toyota engineers must have a really funny concept of a failsafe system because in this case it means a very long and soft pedal with almost no brake force at the wheels.

All is fixed now, $1,400 later + tax. Instead of buying just the pump, I replaced the whole assembly. Call it insurance against some other little thing failing down the road, really requiring replacing the whole assembly. Now I have a spare everything but pump motor. It is a fairly straightforward DIY job. This particular '99 model only had a 3-channel system. It took 3 quarts of brake fluid to finish the job: one to fill the huge reservoir, and two more to really flush and bleed all the air and old fluid out of the system.

I also have some detailed technical information for diagnosing the system. It is a lot easier than it looks at first, once you have a better idea of how it works and how it's all wired.

Regards,

-Luis Marques

calamaridog said:
Good work and good job. $1400? Wow.

The MC/pump assembly on the 100 costs like $1K vs. $130 for the one on the 80 series, which also work on the 4runners and virtually every toyota truck made prior to the 100 series.

Timely thread for me:
ABS/VSC/VSC off lights are all on and I got that annoying alarm.
Code reader:
C1223/43 - Is this the master brake cylinder?

@fnpierce, do you have brakes? The code you have is for the ABS. Read through some of the other threads on the pump failure to see if that's a relevant code. The alarm would indicate imminent failure, but I'm not sure about the code.

@fnpierce, do you have brakes? The code you have is for the ABS. Read through some of the other threads on the pump failure to see if that's a relevant code. The alarm would indicate imminent failure, but I'm not sure about the code.

I've got brakes but I ain't driving it. The question is what to replace. Rebuild the booster pump or replace the master cylinder or other?

I replaced the whole assembly at 180K, shortly after I found out it these events occur (generally after 150K miles). No way I wanted to risk any of the long, steep, twisty rock and dirt descents we have around here (we frequently climb above 9,000 feet) exposed to the threat of at any moment losing all braking power. My life expectancy would be measured in seconds if one of these failures were to hit on those descents. Even after replacement it's a concerning single point of failure in a serious off road vehicle (which I'm otherwise very happy with).

@marques.

May you give us a bit of history, if any, on the truck?

I'm curious as to your location in the U.S?

Where has your truck spent most of the time? Again location in U.S.

How long have you owned the vehicle?

Anything funky with the truck that you can recall prior to the first incident?

Do you suspect previous owners did not alert you to this issue?

Yo do realize this happened some 11 years and 190k miles ago! At the time the truck about 80k miles and was 6 years old. No brake issues what so ever since the master cylinder/booster assembly was replaced with a brand new factory one. It's just the brushes/commutator on an electric motor that wear over time. Not much you can do maintenance wise to make it last longer. Rebuild the motor when it does wear out or replace it with a quality one. And flush the brake fluid every other year or so.

Wow! I totally missed your original post date. Haha! Thanks for the reply.

It's just that when this issue rears its ugly head I get all freaked out. I just went down Montezuma Valley Road here in SoCal. It's a gnarly drop that ends up in Borrego Springs. Even though I drove my 80 I was a bit nervous about my brakes. It's just the thought. I couldn't imagine having complete brake failure in such a situation in my LX.

I'm always practicing dropping from 4th gear to 3rd and so on and so forth just in case.

Seems like the same thing is happening to me right now. The annoying alarm, all the lights on the dash, and once almost no braking. Luckily I was in a parking lot when the brakes went out. Unfortunately, I’m a few hundred miles from home visiting Charleston, SC. I’m planning on taking it to a dealer today to get it checked out. Anyone know a good land cruiser service place down here that won’t charge me what the dealer will?

Long story short, the electric motor of the ABS/Booster pump quit working - failed open circuit. With the accumulator empty and no way to pump it back up, the ABS shut down and the system went into "failsafe" mode. Some Toyota engineers must have a really funny concept of a failsafe system because in this case it means a very long and soft pedal with almost no brake force at the wheels.

All is fixed now, $1,400 later + tax. Instead of buying just the pump, I replaced the whole assembly. Call it insurance against some other little thing failing down the road, really requiring replacing the whole assembly. Now I have a spare everything but pump motor. It is a fairly straightforward DIY job. This particular '99 model only had a 3-channel system. It took 3 quarts of brake fluid to finish the job: one to fill the huge reservoir, and two more to really flush and bleed all the air and old fluid out of the system.

I also have some detailed technical information for diagnosing the system. It is a lot easier than it looks at first, once you have a better idea of how it works and how it's all wired.

Regards,

-Luis Marques
My 01 LC is doing the same exact thing. How did you diagnose the pump motor? Sorry you already said this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom