100 series Windshield Replacement Question: OEM vs. After Market Glass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 LC with the original windshield on it.

The windshield has a few small chips in it and hundreds of tiny ones that look like dust particles speckled all over it that's really visable when driving into the sun. I'd like to get it replaced.

My local dealership quotes a replacement for about $900, parts and labor. (makes me feel like puking)

If I remember correctly, C-Dan said he could get the glass for about $350, plus $100 or so shipping to California. But he said that shipping is a pain, and it may even crack during the shipping.

I found www.windshield.net that can install a replacement at my home for $256, or $165 for just the glass and molding.

My question is whether an OEM windshield is that much better than an after market windshield? I know the dealership asked if I wanted bronze glass or green glass, so I assume that the OEM glass is tinted for the LC.

Would anyone have any experience with any of the services that come to install an aftermarket windshield at your home, or the quality of glass?

Thanks

-Kalen

Kalen, get out the yellow pages and look at any of the major glass installers. They can do the job cheap with OEM tinted guality glass. Takes a couple of hours. You might also just have them look at your existing glass, they can often fill the chips and buff out the glass so it looks like new.

I've seen a factory original Toyota windshield installed by an Indy glass guy for my father in law's Forerunner, so they are available. I think he had an insurance deductible, though.

many people will tell you to get aftermarket, but will then reduce a vehicle's value if it has non-oem glass. it's one or the other. either you want it to look original or you want to save few $$. i too keep a $100 comp deduct on our LX's insurance becuase the glass is sooooo outrageous to replace. it was $8XX a few months ago at the lexy dealer. it looks like original and they used a real toyota trim kit.

my $0.02

ace10 said:
many people will tell you to get aftermarket, but will then reduce a vehicle's value if it has non-oem glass. it's one or the other. either you want it to look original or you want to save few $$. i too keep a $100 comp deduct on our LX's insurance becuase the glass is sooooo outrageous to replace. it was $8XX a few months ago at the lexy dealer. it looks like original and they used a real toyota trim kit.

my $0.02

I doubt that, maybe on the door glass, because it may indicate a collision. I look at windshields as a wearing item, especially in New Mexico. I got 3 chips and one turned into a crack the other day. :whoops: I will argue that the factory glass seems to last longer, but I have never put in another OEM after the fact. So I can’t say it will last just as long as the original. The original seems to last longer than any non OEM replacement I have done. Not sure why this is, it just happens I guess. My driving habits don’t change with the new windshield. :rolleyes: Also the dealers here do not do their own glass for the most part and when I went to them they referred me to an independent glass co. that does all the replacements for the dealer, and they use Toyota factory parts other than the glass.

Dean

Be careful with a cheap glass outfit doing the work. My glass guy was here the other day fixing a crack in my 2000 LC windshield, and I saw him studying the molding around the sides. When I asked him what's up, he was comparing it to a Lexus he had recently done, and noted there's more to these than a usual replacement.

He said the windshield has several pop rivits along each side (underneath molding), and if they aren't installed correctly, it'll crack the new windshield. Said he'd seen one where a cheap installer had replaced the rivits with half the number of screws, and didn't even replace the molding.

So, make sure you trust the glass guy you get to do the work. And, as someone else pointed out, going to the dealer doesn't automatically mean they're trustworthy.

BillWms01 said:
Be careful with a cheap glass outfit doing the work. My glass guy was here the other day fixing a crack in my 2000 LC windshield, and I saw him studying the molding around the sides. When I asked him what's up, he was comparing it to a Lexus he had recently done, and noted there's more to these than a usual replacement.

He said the windshield has several pop rivits along each side (underneath molding), and if they aren't installed correctly, it'll crack the new windshield. Said he'd seen one where a cheap installer had replaced the rivits with half the number of screws, and didn't even replace the molding.

So, make sure you trust the glass guy you get to do the work. And, as someone else pointed out, going to the dealer doesn't automatically mean they're trustworthy.

I agree. You can’t trust anyone anymore. Every time you turn around someone is doing shotty work. I’ve been going to one particular glass shop for my car probably 5 times over the years. It’s never been the same guy, (company loyalty is pretty much non-existent) but when I went there this last time I went across the street to get a burger. When I walk back, I looked in to see this butcher pushing out the glass with out removing the cowl trim; needless to say it was bending it all to hell. At this point if one tries to tell the guy he is not doing his job right than it will just get worse (sending food back idea). After it was all done I asked why it did not lay flat against the glass. He said it was like that. I had already called my insurance and told them not to pay because I was PO. The owner (after a few days of getting calls form the insurance) met with me & he straightened the piece & apologized. I certainly could have done that but I paid them to do it. Now, I do not recommend A1 Classic Glass in New Mexico.
The glass shop the dealer had recommend for to use on my LC, had stepped on my remote and broke the plastic housing to my key. They just snapped it together so I would not notice. But as soon as I pressed the button it felt funny in my hand. I opened the door and looked inside to study the remote and the whole interior was dirty with glass and caulking. To make a long story short they ultimately paid for half of the key and cleaned up the interior.
Note: do not leave you remote key with anyone! Get the solid rubber transponder key form C-Dan to loan with your LC. This will save a ton of headaches later. (Some of these guys can’t have anything sharper than a rubber ball!)
I think it’s important to develop a good rapport with the people you plan on surrendering you vehicles to, but it’s hard to do on the first visit, like the above glass co with the LC. You just take a chance.
Later,
Singed,
Looking for quality workmanship

I used a nationwide company called SafeLite - http://www.safelite.com/

I used them many times to replace windshields on my other cars. The glass is aftermarket, but they have a lifetime warranty. I would have to say that I am satisfied with their services and products. Plus, it's a mobile service, so you can have them replace the windshield at your office or home.

Haven't replaced glass in the LX470, but I've had to replace it 2 times in my 80. Went the OEM route the first time for the tune of about $450, but the glass is so brittle it got several nicks and a large crack pretty quick; needed to be replaced again within a year. The aftermarket glass I replaced it with (safelite, I think) lasted about 2.5 years before it got a nick that turned into a crack within a half hour this last fall. Haven't replaced it yet, but probably will not be going with OEM when I do.

YMMV.

Move to KY. It is free (read free) here. A long time passed state law due to the high rate of coal spills off of trucks. The state picks up the bill through your carrier.

On a serious note, I have noticed 0 difference in glass (replaced 5 windshields in 3 years on several vehicles including my 98 100). The only issue I ever had was some smuck putting on too much sealer.

i'm not speaking of dealers... i'm talking about advice given/debates here on ih8mud.

BillWms01 said:

Thanks Bill,

Someone else had mentioned that to me too and it's nice to have someone on the board reinforce it.

They also said that it could create wind noise and even crack if they used cheap glass and if it was not installed properly.

sejinro said:

I used them many times to replace windshields on my other cars. The glass is aftermarket, but they have a lifetime warranty. I would have to say that I am satisfied with their services and products. Plus, it's a mobile service, so you can have them replace the windshield at your office or home.

Thanks Senjinro,

I like the idea of the lifetime warranty. I'll have to call them up to ask what that means. It sounds like everyone has gotten a much better price than the $900 that my dealer quoted me. Makes me wonder why I even call them at all.

BillWms01 said:

I remember reading something like this, too, on a past thread on this forum...it's not a typical windshield installation. If it were me, I'd have the toyo dealer do it and have insurance pay for it. Although most of us on this forum can perform most maintenance/repair tasks, there are just some things left to the pros. :)

Reactions: KDL
Jim_Crow commented
there are just some things (better) left to the pros.

Yes, but how many times has the tech at your dealer replaced glass in a 100. Not many times I bet. I might photocopy the FSM section detailing the procedure and go talk to the tech in person about it leaving them a copy no matter where I was having it done.

Last edited:
NMuzj100 said:
Jim_Crow commented

... photocopy the FSM section detailing the procedure ....

My glass guy specifically mentioned having a tech article on 100 series LC windshield replacement. I'm not sure of the source.

My 99 has a non OEM windshield and it has a lot of wind noise. Probably a bad install. A local shop quoted me $228.40 to install a new one in my driveway.

Reactions: KDL
sejinro said:

The Safelite I went to in Brooklyn blew. It was a Geico reco'd shop and it took them two times to get the mirror to stop falling off. Can't recommend those clowns. Probably different from shop to shop of course.

My windshield was covered by Geico, maybe a stray stone might get kicked up from a passing 18-wheeler...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom