Carb Works Great! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
This was added to the FAQ already, just thought I would post results and the one modification to the method I made.

I Adjusted the carb per Treeroot's and IDave's recoomendations and it runs great warm, starts up fine at cold with a little choke and runs fine then as well. This method was easy and the only thing I did different was used a sponge over the carb instead of putting the filter back on. I couldn't get to the mixture screw easily. My idle now is set at about 650-700 rpm.

Again, credit goes to Treeroot and IDave and I have pasted their instructions below:

Vacuum leaks need to be fixed first. Pull the air cleaner and with the engine running, block off all airflow to the carb. Don't use your hand because it could backfire out the carb. I use a piece of cardboard that is big enough it won't get sucked in. As the engine dies, listen to the idle. If it goes up before it dies, you have a vacuum leak/leaks. If it just dies, proceed to carb adjustments.

If you have a vacuum leak/leaks, best way I know to find them is with water. Carb cleaner/Ether works but burning down you, your house, or your truck isn't fun. Just buy a cheap 1.00 spray bottle. Engine is running and warm so I highly doubt a cracked block is even possible. Mist around the engine on all the hoses and fittings. Anywhere you spray and the engine rpms drop, you have a vacuum leak. Somewhat messy but this is another one of WD-40's many uses as well.

The idle mixture screw is only for idle. If you look at a carb out of the truck, you can see a small hole below the throttle plate. It is very important you have the idle low enough that the engine is running off that hole. There is another above this one and as you increase your idle, you expose the second hole.

Your engine needs to be at operating temp.

Set your idle down all the way. Most Cruisers will allow you to lower it until the engine dies. Turn it up around 450-500 so the engine is slow but running by itself.

Make sure the choke is open completely.

Air cleaner needs to be installed. Even though it makes it harder to adjust, you need it on because it changes the air/fuel ratio.

Hook up a vacuum gage to direct vacuum. Your brake booster hose will work. (be careful not to break the plastic taking it off. Been there )

Adjust for highest vacuum at idle. 15+ inches of mercury at your altitude.
There is a plateau for max vacuum as you open up the idle mixture, and once there, I would then adjust down (tighten) to the point where the vacuum begins to fall. There is some delay in response after an adjustment, so beware. - IDave

Set idle back to spec.

Check timing.

Go through carb adjustments one more time.

Set idle

Grab a beer and let the truck cool down.

Adjust choke cold or if manual, pull until truck runs and go buy more beer. Make sure on both that the choke closed doen't completely block off air to the engine. The stops usually keep it slightly open even when fully closed or choked.

The only reason for a choke is to increase fuel until the intake manifold can warm up. At colder temps, fuel doesn't atomize. Instead it tends to condense on the sides of the intake. Once your truck warms up, this is no longer an issue. Assuming everything else is ok, it should run fine. Keep in mind how well and efficient a Cruiser's intake is designed.......2" vs. 8" to the 1 and 6 cyl doesn't help in the cold.

I still need pictures for those instructions...D'oh!

Any good affordable Aisin carb adjusters in North California? (for a poor guy)

My engine rnus great after it is warmed up, however before that i often stall when I pull to a stop when running at less than full manual choke. what can I adjust to improve the choke idle?

I believe the vertical screw in the backside (firewall side, opposite side from the glass float window) adjusts "fast idle."

i just wanted to say this thread helped a lot with the 'need the air filter on' and 'testing for vacuum leaks' however I still used this method https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=128884&highlight=idle+mixture

worked out great for me.. i read that thread first.. went out and bought a multimeter with a tach on it.. just to find out what i really need is a vacuum gauge :doh:

anyways i'm going to get a vacuum gauge and test to make sure i have the right vacuum but from what i can tell using the tach method worked fine.. i have no hesitation and no backfiring or sputtering.. a huge difference from before. :cheers:

Yep that what I need a tachometer any suggestions?

i just went to advance auto parts and got the orange one hanging on the wall for $40 or $50 does 4, 6, and 8 cylinders and does everything else you'd expect a multimeter to do.. does dwell too actually.

Truck is running much better!

When my wife and I first bought the truck (1976 FJ40) it barely ran....sort of......but not reliably, let's just say it had it's moments.:mad:
But the old motor had good compression so I figured at least we have that going for us!
Before jumping into a carb rebuild I did the usual round of maintenance for piece of mind and to rule out what was wrong with the truck and what was ok. This included oil change, new air filter, new dizzy cap and rotor, new ignition coil, new plugs and wires, all new fuel lines and filter and looked for vacuum leaks (found a bad leak in the choke breaker).
Although the above got the truck running much more reliably, it still had issues. It ran really rich and occasionally the float bowl would just overfill and cause the truck to go from rich to undrive-able.
So, finally after much reading I finally took the leap, ordered the rebuild kit from SOR and told my wife this REALLY needed to get done.
The PO(s) had a lot wrong with the carb; the main jets were mixed up and way off (Primary was 220 and Secondary was 141) power valve had no jet, accel pump ball was stuck closed and a gasket was installed backward blocking the idle circuit entirely!
It's no wonder this truck never ran well! My daughter (3 years old) and I just took it for a spin. :steer:
There is still lots of work left to do but the truck is now running much, much better and the fuel mileage is way better!
Anyone looking to do a rebuild should go for it BUT definitely follow the advice of the vets on this sight! Rule out the obvious and then go to town! It's not that hard if you take your time and go in with accurate information!
Thanks to everyone who has provided all this great info....
:cheers:
Brent

holy batman thread revival - Romer doesn't even have a 40 anymore :frown:

good to hear your truck runs better :cheers:

This thread deserved a bump. :)

Adjust for highest vacuum at idle. 15+ inches of mercury at your altitude.

Would someone please interpret this? I believe the standard barometric pressure in inches of mercury at sea level is 29.92. I'm assuming it doesn't mean that I'm looking for a vacuum reading of 15 + 29.92!!!

they mean the vacuum reading at idle off the intake manifold :)

Thanks destin--when I do this test I hook my vacuum gauge up to manifold vacuum via the booster hose, but I don't get the '15 + inches of mercury at your elevation' as it seems to suggest that I would need a reading near 45 here at sea level.

Isn't the rule of thumb something around 20?

To adjust the idle screw, all that needs to be removed is the top cover not the entire filter housing. I use a magnetic holder with a ¼” drive bit that has a sliding sleeve to keep the driver from slipping off the idle screw during adjustment.

This thread deserved a bump. :)

Would someone please interpret this? I believe the standard barometric pressure in inches of mercury at sea level is 29.92. I'm assuming it doesn't mean that I'm looking for a vacuum reading of 15 + 29.92!!!

Romer lives around Denver...Elev. 5280'...Vacuum drops 1" per 1000' of elevation...While typical vacuum at sea level would be around 20" of mercury at sea level, Romer would be looking for 15" because of the elevation he's at. :beer:

holy batman thread revival, again :lol:

Adding this video since I've been exploring my new carb today. This is a direct copy of OEM part # 21100-61012, made for and sold by @Racer65.

Since I had questions on where the idle speed and fast idle speed screws were located and how they worked, I made this once I figured it out.

Hope it helps someone. It likely has some inaccurate statements in it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom