Bobbing a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you have a look at the 60 series traytop in Aust 4x4 monthly

60Broughy said:
Has anyone out there bobbed a 60 if so could you give me a run down on how its done

Been done quite a few times. I did it to my primary wheeler, but I also cut my roof off si I cheeted a bit but still the same concept. Tony "mrtlc4x4" on this page did it with his roof still intact and it looked good to me. He may chime in I hope. I cut 16 inches out of the body basicaly moving the rear most body mount right behing the next one down the frame. I took out the old fuel tank and put in a 32 gallon fuel cell. WHich took up most of the rear cargo area cause of the size. If I had to do it again I would use a smaller cell. If you can do body work, cut, weld, use you amagination its pretty straight foward and easy job. Making the first cut is the hardest, after that you are comitted. It does look weird to see the rear of the rig laying on the shop floor though! Here are a couple picks of mine...
DSC00440.JPG

Check this one out. Not sure whos it is, I got the photo off PBB.

USFSIHC said:
Check this one out. Not sure whos it is, I got the photo off PBB.

photo"chop"!

Deep South Cruisers said:
I've seen that one several times, I don't THINK it's a Photo-chop.

It is/was a buddy of Henry's IIRC. No backseat, storage all the way to the back.

You got that right, Renzo's bobbed FJ60 is definitely not a photochop! Set up for expeditions, that thing's probably got about 1M kilometers by now....

Hopeing some others will hop in here and bust out there pics? Tony, where you at?

my computer with all my pics crashed so i don't have any of my 62. but here is a link that my friend ran on the project. I mapped out the cuts and figured out how much to take out. I also knew that i should have someone with experience do the cut and weld, so thats where my buddy duwayne came in.feel free to ask questions

http://home.att.net/~mn-wheels/projects/page5.html

Bobbing A 60 ....

Ive just Bobbed my 60 series, i took 15 3/4" , in the metric system thats 400 mm , of the back .
it took me 3 days to cut it of and put it back on , ive just got to bog it up a bit and then im finished .
ive got pics of me doing it at different stages but i dont know how to post them ????

Hostin some shots for Olly

Awesome 60 man. You surf down there? Is it true you can run SOA trucks down under?

Nice chop job man. Do I get a free veggemit (sp?) sandwhich? Hows does it ride after the chop?

thats a great bob job. i love how the frame is still sticking out the back for comparison.

Thanks again for posti'n some pics for me ,
In Aust we can run soa 4 wheelers no probs as long as a engineer has signed the work off once its complete which is generally pretty easy , although the job still has to be done right and structurally sound.
The rear glass in our 60's have rear sliding windows so that makes it a bit easier but cause you have to cut through the window frames its too much work to join them back again ,some people do but i wont i will be using polycarb easy to put in and cheaper than custom glass.
And i havent taken it for a drive yet but its charecteristics will be the same i have not altered any cross members or chassis so i reckon it will be the same , apart from Bigger rock faces to drop of , and bigger hills to climb !!

I have started a soa conversion on it now , and also i am going to grind of the sills below the dorrs the full length of the car which will give me 4" of clearence more ,and thenput on some custom sliders.
Also i will gain an extra 6" of lift almost straight away when i have finished the soa but then i will start to play with the leaf packs to get a longer almost flat spring to lower the centre of gravity back down.
Its all too easy !!!!
And s*** loads of fun !!!!!!!!
Cheers Olly :beer: :beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom