Best Mods under $50... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This weekend I finished installing a set of Sylvania Silvestar low beams on my FJ62...wow! What a big difference, and $44, too! This got me thinking, I've had my Land Cruiser for many years and spent a lot of money/time modifying it, but some of the best mods I've done are ones that haven't cost me a whole lot. Anyone have similar experiences? I hear a lot of guys on this and other forums talk about being on a shoestring budget. I had my Cruiser while in college and grad school and through tough times, so I know what I feels. Therefore, I'd like to see other cool, cheap mods that people have done on their 60 series. I'll start with three of them:

1. Sylvania Silvestar low-beam headlights, $44 w/free shipping. An awesome improvement.

2. Leather wrap around steering wheel. FJ62's have the textured steering wheel, and over time, it gets worn and smooth. Before it happened to mine, I added a nice leather wrap, the kind that you fold over the whole steering wheel and then painstakingly stitch around the inside. Took some time to do it but it's been a real improvement, especially when off road.

3. 12-volt plug in the engine compartment. I bought a nice quality MARINCO 12-volt plug with the rubber cap on it, then mounted it on the radiator support, which meant I didn't have to run long wires from the battery. Works really great with my 12-volt work light!

Let's hear what you've done, if we get a bunch maybe we can add them to the FAQ.

the taskled.com dome light is awesome, I purchased another one for the cargo lamp, came the other day, now I'm running around to home depot and stores trying to figure out how to drill such a tiny farking hole, I have the bits but I need something smaller to lock down the tiny bit in the dremmel tool.

Going through and replacing any screws that are missing is also comforting, everything seems to be a philips head screw of some kind. I am still missing a few visible ones, trying to track them down soon.

This is a great thread, would love to see it in the FAQ.

I recommend Speedbleeders as a cheap and useful ($12 per pair) mod. Makes bleeding brakes solo a cinch. You can easily change your brake fluid too (a good thing to do on all vehicles, esp our older trucks!).

swaping the center dash vents for the outer kind that close.........free mod(cause I had spares)

Not really for a 60/2 unless its 3rd world spec. But swaping from a points dizzy to a 81+ fj60/40 dizzy........$100 buck mod

cheap Kraco (form Costco) floor mats

kill switch, $10.

new OEM wipper blade inserts, $6, better than anything else, change em every year.

fj62 mirrors on a fj60, again freebie......if you got a parts 62.

adding a rear fj62 sway bar to a 84+ fj60.........yeah freebie but I did buy new longer end links($30)

Headlight upgrades, IPF, Cibie or Hella H-4's even with stock wattage bulbs. $50 for a pair, another $10-15 for bulbs

another $40 upgrade headlight harness

Tossing any non OEM tune up parts and replacing with OEM......under $100

having matching touch up paint custom mixed in a bottle(last 6 months to a year) under $10, some colors you can still get but most fj40 colors you can't.

Not really cheap but SOR Tuff Duck seat covers, really make for anew looking interior and/or saves you nice OEM seats.

$30 5-6 gallon gear oil bucket pump.

If you have a stock 60/2.......new OEM shocks, they are great(better for a 60/2 then a 40) under $80 for a set.

Some feebies

adjusting read brake drums.

Used rubber bed linner cut to fit rear cargo ares, can find em free(or cheap) at car lots detail shops.

I'll think of some more during the day I am sure.

Good thread Henry :)

real freebie and one that can save you money.........cultivating a relationship with a Toyota parts guy(local is best but there are some great online/phone parts guys what are VERY good options).........there is no $ amount I could place on my parts guy and now freind at Toyota.

OH!!!!!!!!!!!! how about being a menber of Ih8mud and Pirate? yeah......thats a BIG freebie!

TLCA membership!!!!!

I think the hand throtltle cable that connects to pedal is a good cheap mod.
Its real handy for working on the engine when you require a certain rpm and for crawling along in low gear.Its also an OEM mod

Grab handle on the passenger side A-pillar (your wife/GF/BF/SO will thank you).

Hella map light screwed to the dash just to the left of the glovebox. ~$25.

Freebie: re-aim the rear washer jet so it shoots straight back. Great for dealing with tailgaters, they get the message fast.

Another freebie: attach a small chunk of carpeting to the steering column just below the ignition, no more noise from the keys jangling against it.
Key_Fix.jpg

Here Here....Use it on the trail all the time.....

roscoFJ73 said:
I think the hand throtltle cable that connects to pedal is a good cheap mod.
Its real handy for working on the engine when you require a certain rpm and for crawling along in low gear.Its also an OEM mod

chrome clips ...

Install chrome clips on the A pillar chrome strip where it meets the hood. Stops the chrome strip from lifting and looks stock.

:)

Cahil

Here ya go:

MapLight.jpg

sourcemine said:
the taskled.com dome light is awesome, I purchased another one for the cargo lamp, came the other day, now I'm running around to home depot and stores trying to figure out how to drill such a tiny farking hole, I have the bits but I need something smaller to lock down the tiny bit in the dremmel tool.

Dremel makes a device that you lock it up in and turns it into a drill press. Check that out if you're drilling tons of small holes...

My favourite cheap mod was to get some of that non-slip black stuff you find on running boards, stairs near water, etc - kind of like black heavy grit sand paper - and cut a piece to fit the top of my stock center console - one on the top and one in the little tray in the front of it. It's a bitch to clean, but worth it.

Ken, I'm starting to think our FJ62's are eerily similar, I *definitely* second the Hella light, mine's mounted on the left of the glovebox also! :)

The Hella light I have mounted up front is the short-stem model, but I have an even more practical and still below $50 mod, I mounted one of the long-stem Hella lights on the right corner of the cargo area. It not only illuminates the whole cargo area, but when cooking or doing trail repairs on the open tailgate, the light can be pulled out and will really throw some good light over you.

Another under $50 modification I made was using some stainless steel flashlight clips to mount a 4-D cell maglight on the left hand side of the transmission hump. I know there are brighter, perhaps better lights out there, but I like Maglights, they're proven, nearly indestructible and cheap. A buddy of mine that does spray-lining sprayed my flashlight one day he was making samples, pretty neat trick!

cahilc said:
Install chrome clips on the A pillar chrome strip where it meets the hood. Stops the chrome strip from lifting and looks stock.

removing all the chrome strips...free.

exstended all breathers...clothing lines to stop tree branches from bashing off my windows....chopped rear fenders...rear bumper....ummm bobble headed teakie god for on the dash....a new tach...

KLF said:
Another freebie: attach a small chunk of carpeting to the steering column just below the ignition, no more noise from the keys jangling against it.
Key_Fix.jpg

ah ha...now i know how to cure those keys. it has been driving me nuts lately.

Good thread.

Hand throttle

Extend axle breathers

Wal-Mart SUV floor mats

cheap plastic gun racks for the rear side windows (good for skateboard, rope, clothes, etc storage), and of course guns.

Replace the little rubber peice that fits between the rear view mirror and windsheild (good for stopping the vibrations in the rear veiw mirror).

Change fuel filter regularly

cahilc said:

:)

Cahil

rip all that chrome crap off that collects moisture and turns to rust - i did it this weekend, best mod yet, and free, too!

I got another one. Using the old, dry-rotted, barely holding-on rubber splash skirts from the frame as patterns, I cut myself some new ones out of rubber diamond plate and mounted them with nutcerts and SS hardware. Much less than $50 and a Saturday afternoon project.

While I'm on the rubber diamond plate kick, I also used it to replace the wimpy rubber mat on the bottom of my Tuffy console and I added a small section of it under the cupholders, helps to keep cans from sliding around.

Here's another great cheap idea I stole from another board a long time ago. From a big sports store, I bought three flat, clear Plano tackle boxes, all less than $5. They come with a BUNCH of little dividers, stack securely inside my Tuffy console, and were perfect for all the little loose crap that you'll inevitably need on a trail ride but usually sits forgotten in eight different locations. Fuses, spare bulbs, connectors, carburator jets, loose hardware, the ARB pin removal tool, ARB line quick-connectors, spare relays, camera batteries, razor blades, extra electrical tape, pen and paper to take notes, couple of light sticks, spare key for the hitch lock, a couple of extra lugs and lugnuts, old swiss army knife, etc. The clear boxes make it easy to identify where everything is, and at least in the center console, where they're muffled by maps, bandannas and a nylon CD case, they don't really ratte. Total cost for the boxes was about $20, tax included.

One last one before I go to bed, since I won't be able to get back to this thread until Monday night. At most boat stores they sell these nylon velcro straps that are about 3/4" wide and come in either 8" and 12" long. They're similar to lighter duty ones sold at camping stores and the little skinny ones used to tidy up cables around a computer desk. I've been buying these since I brought my Cruiser to the US, they're cheap (like $3 each) and perfect for a variety of uses. I use two of them to secure the handle of my hi-lift jack to the jack itself, and the longer variety is perfect to cinch tow straps and securing items like my spare birfields to fixed locations. I always have a couple of extra ones wrapped around the gear shifter, I couldn't live without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom