My Aussie Locker Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Well, I struggled through the decision on which rear Locker to buy and I decided in the Aussie Locker from http://www.offroadlockers.com/ . It came a couple of days ago and I installed it this morning in two hours. I went slow and easy because I have never worked on a differential, I did not know what a thrust washer was.. I could probably even do it in less than an hour now that I know what everything is.

I used the instructions that came with the locker, the Factory Manual (Chassis Section 5) and Woody’s guide on installing the Ez Locker, http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/woody/ez-lock.html . Compared to the Factory Manual, Woody’s guide calls the Pinion Shaft the Crosspin. Based on Woody’s guide I would say the install for a Aussie is almost identical.

I am amazed that the gears I removed have big teeth for moving the axle, yet this locker has small grooves, this along with the spring is what I am guessing allows you it to unlock when you are going around a turn.

I noticed the difference driving right away, nothing major and should not be a problem. Just I was able to “feel” the rear of the vehicle more in a turn. Something that is easy to get use to. I also am not hearing any noises when it locks or unlocks, it’s pretty quiet.

The only real problem I had is the bottom of my rear axle was dinged and would not allow me to take off the drain plug, so I took the nuts off the access panel and let it drain into my large drain pan.

Couple of other points:
• Don’t forget to take off the thrust washers off the old side gears.
• You do not need the thrust washers from the spider gears.
• Follow the instructions in the Aussie manual very carefully to get the right (last) C clamp.
• Once, you get the Pinion shaft out, turn the drive train to move the housing for better access.

Here is the parts to the locker
Locker 3.jpg

Take the 12 MM bolt out and slide the Pinion (Crosspin) out. Then remove the old gears.
Locker 2.jpg

Then turn the drive shaft to get better access so the opening is fully facing you. Clean out the housing of old oil and any dirt. Take the thrust washers off of the old side gears and inspect them. Place them on the new side gears. Put greese on the new components. Place the left (drivers side) side gear in the housing. Slide the axle in and place the C clamp on. Pull the axle out to lock C Clamp in place
Locker 4.jpg

Last edited:
Place the right side gear in, but do not install the C Clamp. Only let the axle be flush with the lip of the side gear.
Locker 5.jpg

I then put the pins, but not the spings in the two middle gears to keep them together. You also place the smaller caps inside the center section. Place the center section inside the housing and and then foolow the manula to insert right C clamp. Insert Pinion or crosspin and tighten bolt.

Put on new gasket, replace cover and put Gear oil in. Simple as that.

Ken
Locker 6.jpg

Nice post! Are your shocks upside down? Does it matter?

wait til you get it on a trail :D I have a Ton of goodies coming next week that need installed.

Thanks Ken. Will be installing one soon and pics are great. How long did shipping take? JW

yodafrick said:
Thanks Ken. Will be installing one soon and pics are great. How long did shipping take? JW

Shipping was less than 5 days.

I have seen the shocks installed both ways. Don't think it matters. The instructions did not specify, but that's what the picture on the box showed. Ige has her's the same way and I'd like to see someone tell her she installed them upside down.

gulp3000 said:
Nice post! Are your shocks upside down? Does it matter?
technically, you want the moving part of the shock attached to the moving part of the axle. some shocks don't work well mounted that way, most work just fine. some may have a "dead spot" that you won't notice anyway.

Magoo said:
well ken that cruiser outta kick some tail in the woods now.

it's alive!!! mornin' shawn...how come you post says 9:43pm, but it's only 3:50 right now...it ain't even 9:43 in woodsconsin.

Actually, it did great. I could really tell the difference. The guy in front of me on the trail today was slipping and had to make several attempts, I just went through it like butter. Could also feel and hear it more driving on pavement. Not a big issue though. I think this is the best upgrade you can make to a 40.

Great News...

Could you describe what you hear when on the street?
Mine should arrive next week :)

So looking forward to having a locker back there...

thanks for the post and keeping us updated,
manny 72fj40

Driving straight you don't notice the difference, turning sometimes I hear what others have called a ratcheting sound. When in a slow turn (Less than 5MPH) I have felt the wheels lock for a second and both tires turn the same speed. i.e. a little movement in the backend. The manufacturers page lists these items and state that they will not cause any wear. None of its bad, just takes some getting use to. It's all worth it based on the experiance I had on the trail yesterday.

Just wait til it unlocks with a LOUD bang which sounds like your tcase just exploded. :eek:

FWIW if it's constantly unlocking you need to adjust the thrust washers.

The first time mine did the loud bang I stopped to look under the rig to see what I broke. You'll get used to the clicking. I love my lockers. Out on the trail they are worth their weight in gold.

Conventional shock absorbers should be installed with the stamped in print right-side-up. They will function somewhat if installed up-side-down but the cavitation will cause the shock oil to "foam" causing increased temperatures and decreased viscosity. Ultimately this will cause the shocks to operate at much lower performance level.

Pressurized remote reservoir shocks are imune to this problem and therefore can be mounted in any position.

Is the Aussie Locker just a mini spool?? I put a mini spool in my old Scout II and it looks very similar to the Aussie locker. Does the Aussie disengage or not?? Also, is it available for the front axle as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom