Tutorial: HID conversion, bling headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have always wanted to have a vehicle that has good lighting but all the vehicles that have cool lights are too modern (which equals too plastic) so they are a waste of money. Being a photographer I am very anal about light so I decided to make a change. I bought a pair of ballasts, bulbs and projector lenses even before I had the cruiser.

Here are some basics.

The purpose of all headlights is to give you a good view of what's in front, yet not blind oncoming traffic. Therefore all headlights have such a construction that creates a cutoff, a sharp border between light and darkness.

The oldest type of headlights are the ones we have (you have:flipoff2:). These are reflectors created before computers were powerful and therefore they need a ribbed headlight lens to try to direct light. I say 'try' because if you point your truck at a wall you see just two blobs of light without any defined pattern or form.

With the advent of computer design, FF (free form) headlights were designed. They also use a 'conventional' reflector. The reflector is not round but it consists of lots of small squares. Each of these squares has a different angle and throws light onto a different part of the road. These lights are like a puzzle. Every square has a corresponding area on the road, and all these squares create a puzzle which ends up as a continuous light beam, with clearly defined cutoff (but not as good as it gets).

Projector lenses (the ones with the round loupe in front) are a bit different. Light is projected onto the glass lens but before it reaches it, it's cut in half by a metal curtain. This metal curtain defines the cutoff. This type of lights has the biggest efficiency and the best light pattern.

What you shouldn't do.

You cannot just put HID bulbs into any housing and be happy. Each housing is designed with a specific type of light source in mind. If you don't follow this advice you will have unpredictable results and you WILL be a danger and a pain in the ass for other drivers. The best way to manage the enormous luminosity of HID bulbs is to use HID-specific projector housings.

My problems

My problems were quite simple. I had everything except for the headlights. I could sand off the ribs on my headlights but they would be weak and any small pebble could smash them. So I did what most people consider stupid bling, I bought the halo land cruiser lights from ebay.

Let the fun begin.

Here are the lights that people either love or hate. I love them as they substract 8-10 years from my truck and it really looks cool.

ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka01.jpg

ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka05.jpg

Then I chose to go quasi-OEM and here are the Koito ballasts
przetwornica_ksenon_HID.jpg

And here are the projectors from a Lexus car or a Toyota (don't remember the model right now)
soczewka_ksenonowa.jpg

First I took off all the bulbs and metal clips
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka07.jpg

Then I put the housing in the oven and baked it at 150*C for 8-10 minutes (starting with a cold oven). You need to calculate this yourself as different ovens heat up differently.

ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka16.jpg

Then I had to hurry and tear the headlight apart. It's good to have some gloves as it is a bit hot. Not to the point of leaving burns but very uncomfortable. After some pulling, the headlight was in two pieces.

ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka17.jpg

Now clean all the goo glue from both halves of the headlight. This is going to take you an hour per light as the glue is terrible to get rid of. You won't need that glue anymore (at least I didn't bother).

Here is a comparison of the HID projector (left) and the halogen projector (right) which you all hate and probably for a good reason.

ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka08.jpg

After some measuring and thinking it turned out that there's no way my new projector would fit inside. It was too long and too thick and it had different mounting. A rule of thumb is DO NOT TOUCH elements which are visible and irreparable. So I didn't modify the chrome half of the headlight to adapt the longer lens but simply cut off the back. I didn't bother much with that as you see.

ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka13.jpg

Later on I came to the conclusion that the best way to fit the light is to use an aluminum plate and cut an oval hole for the light.

ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka14.jpg

I wanted to achieve the following effect.
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka24.jpg

But in order to accomplish that, I had to fabricate some light mounts that could be adjusted from outside. This is why I welded on some nuts onto the projector brackets. Moving screws would move the whole projector, thus allowing me to adjust the light.

Here is a close up of a welded nut.
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka11.jpg

Here are all three nuts welded and painted.
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka12.jpg

Later I used hot glue to fix the whole assembly. I wanted to make sure that the cutoff line is horizontal and that everything is OK, so I installed the 'headlight' on the truck.
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka18.jpg

After this checkup I secured the plate with rivets, and then applied special plastic glue and on top of that a layer of silicone to make sure all is secure and tight.
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka28.jpg

As you can see above, there is some foam around the lens. This is to ensure a good dust seal and still provide flexibility for adjustments.

The inside of the light housing
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka22.jpg

My canine quality control
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka19.jpg

The beam pattern comparison. Left is a broad and bright HID light and right is the typical old fashioned blob of light (aimed way too high because I couldn't see anything)
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka20.jpg

Working hard at night
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka25.jpg

Last edited:
Had to split into two posts due to image limit.....

Sealing the ballast with silicone to make sure water doesn't get in.
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka31.jpg

Ballast mounted on the underside of the headlight (in the pic it's upside down)
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka32.jpg

The final result.
ksenon_xenon_HID_przerobka34.jpg

I sealed the headlights with silicone, but applied a layer of oil onto one half of the headlight. This way I still have the chance of pulling the light apart if I need to. The original glue was too deformed to reuse it.

There are so many things to tell you, but it's late so I will stop right here. If you have questions, just ask and I will elaborate with more detail on the subject.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Nice job.

Wow...that was a lot of work!! :beer::beer:

Looks *almost* factory, with the exception of those silly rings around the lights. :flipoff2:

Not too shabby. I like it.

Now that is how you do an HID conversion. BTW, great beam pattern. Good job.

Just one more answer before going to sleep.

COST:
- bling headlights - in your case check Ebay (around $200 with shipment), in my case $250
- ballasts and bulbs - $170
- projectors - $20

Total around $390-440

Don't ask about time. To do it good you need around 15-20 hours of work. So it can't be done easily in a weekend. The hardest thing is the first light as you need to assume an approach and measure a lot. The second headlight is 30% of the overall time. But no regrets at all. I feel as if I came from a cave into sunlight.

See ya tomorrow.

Hmm, I'd figured that the ballasts and bulbs would be the expensive part, guess I was wrong. :) Very, very temping at that price given how much the stock lows suck in my opinion. (I've got HIRs and the Slee harness. I'm used to BMW xenons.)

Disadvantage, plastic lenses... which will pit/get cloudy over time... advantages, might be able to source plastic lenses and all that's needed is another oven. Now if someone made those light assemblies with glass lenses for around $250...

Mike in Poland: Really nice! No rush, but when you get the chance, please tell us from where you purchased the ballasts and projectors (part numbers would be even better, but I won't push it :))

that turned out great! i'm half tempted to do this myself.....

:cheers:

that looks nice, will add it to my mod list to do some day

Bravo, well done!

But you might want to rethink using silicone sealant for sealing the headlights up. It is said to eat up the reflective foil stuff and cause other problems. Also makes it difficult to reopen and close in the future.

Go with Nissan Part# B6553-89915 Headlamp Sealant for that factory-like seal.

Very cool.

Looks like the ballast is toyota part # 85967-05010 (least that's what the photo says).

Perhaps Cdan can get it for you?

That is a beautiful job. I wish we could buy these already properly converted from, well, somewhere....

wonder if some one with access to several projectors could source one of the same size as the bling lights? that way you just pop them out and pop the new ones in. would save a butt ton of time and work.

please tell us from where you purchased the ballasts and projectors (part numbers would be even better, but I won't push it :))

All was purchased from a local auction website, similar to Ebay. Of course there were lots of HID kits and other funky stuff but among them there was a guy selling Koito ballasts and Philips bulbs as a set. So I decided to go with these parts. I think that if you look for it on Ebay, you will find it.

hoser said:
But you might want to rethink using silicone sealant for sealing the headlights up. It is said to eat up the reflective foil stuff and cause other problems. Also makes it difficult to reopen and close in the future.

Go with Nissan Part# B6553-89915 Headlamp Sealant for that factory-like seal.

Hoser, my main purpose here was better lighting and not looks, so I don't care that much about the chrome. But I will wait and see what happens and keep you posted.
I don't think I can get this Nissan headlight sealant here, but I will ask. Thanks for the part no.

lx450landcruiser said:
wonder if some one with access to several projectors could source one of the same size as the bling lights? that way you just pop them out and pop the new ones in. would save a butt ton of time and work.

Yes, that's probably a hella model. Give me some time and maybe I will find some pics of it. I would have used it if I could buy it, but unfortunately it's not available here.

Hey Mike,

VERY nice work!
I know this is something that you had been wanting to do for a long time and it's really cool to you finally put it together!

Congrats!!

Mot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom