reassembled clutch won't disengage engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got to starting the project I'm reassembling and the clutch won't disengage the engine from the rest. Has a new clutch master and slave, and have between 1/2-2/3" of travel by the takeout bearing when the clutch is down. The clutch is the same as was in the truck, just reassembled as it came off (pretty sure, at least). This is the first time I've assembled a clutch and stabbed a tranny in, so wouldn't rule out having messed something up. Only thing I can think could've happened was putting the clutch disk in backwards??

first pic shows the view up with inspection cover removed with clutch up, second with clutch depressed... you can see that pressure is relieved and there is a gap, but is the gap in the right place?

A reputable member has suggested that the clutch disk(s) might just be stuck together and to try to start it in gear and bump the gas with the clutch depressed to try to jar them loose. i'll try that tomorrow after today's storms pass, but thought I'd throw the pics up here for any other opinions.
DSC00903 (Small).JPG
DSC00904 (Small).JPG

here's my takeout bearing travel... seems like plenty of movement??
DSC00905 (Small).JPG
DSC00906 (Small).JPG

A reputable member :lol::lol::lol: has suggested that the clutch disk(s) might just be stuck together...

I said that the disc could be corroded/rusted to the flywheel and not releasing, creating this issue. According to you pictures, that does not appear to be the case.

If the disc is in backwards, it could be bound up on the heads of the bolts that retain the flywheel to the crankshaft, causing it to be stuck.

The first picture shows which side of the clutch disc is the flywheel side and the second picture shows the opposite side, or the side that faces the pressure plate/transmission when installed. The clutch hub (splined section) is taller on the pressure plate side, and is likely bound on the flywheel bolts.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
any way to tell without pulling? or does that have to be the problem? anything else to do before pulling?

Either the disk is in backwards or the pilot bearing in the crank is frozen. Either way, you are going to have to take it out again to sort it out.

pilot bearing was new.

out she'll come unless anyone has anything else it could be

thanks

Looks as if the disc has gone de-funk in the areas circled in red.... whats up with that?:confused:
DSC00904%20%28Small%29 copy.jpg

Guess I am missing what you are talking about there Grant...

Please elaborate....

:beer:

Maybe he's trying to make me feel less like the idiot I am for having installed the clutch disk backward??

I'm sorry Grant, that's harsh... just trying to belittle others to try to make myself feel better.

Just looks like when the clutch was released those two sections of the disc were trying to fall out.... your s*** must be broke in there.... pull it back out...

yep, I'm a confirmed dumb-ass.

Pulled it, flipped the clutch disk, reinstalled, and off I went... nothing like that first ride in something you had completely apart, is there? Woohoo!

thanks guys

yep, I'm a confirmed dumb-ass.

Pulled it, flipped the clutch disk, reinstalled, and off I went... nothing like that first ride in something you had completely apart, is there? Woohoo!

thanks guys

BTDT! You just have to laugh at yourself. :beer:

Glad you got it Eric!
:beer:

This should be a sticky or in the FAQs. The backwards clutch disc comes up about once per month! In the rush, grime and darkness of trying to get one of thse back together, it's easy to get backwards. Don't feel bad.

This should be a sticky or in the FAQs. The backwards clutch disc comes up about once per month! In the rush, grime and darkness of trying to get one of thse back together, it's easy to get backwards. Don't feel bad.
I did it on my first Cruiser. Also it is a good idea to have an old spline shaft to help line up the clutch plate with the TO bearing and everything. Ask me how I know.

You stalking me today 'Drew

I'm going to remember it by thinking that the "male" side of the clutch hub (think longer, protruding) needs to "penetrate" toward the flywheel.

this seems to make sense to me, and I suspect might be about the right speed for many on this board...

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom