Builds ROTW - TroutRunner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
TroutRunners ROTW

My story begins in August of 2004, oddly enough, with that of a brand new ’04 Runner. My wife and I decided to buy a safer, more family friendly vehicle for the birth of our first daughter. We picked it up in Boston (living in Maine at the time) with daughter in tow, when she was 4 days old. I had always appreciated Toyota’s and loved the 4Runner. It was very capable with the ATRAC but I was soon on other web pages looking for ways to make it better offroad. I ended up putting an OME lift on it after seeing the results FirstToy had with his.

IMG_0486.jpg

I wheeled it in a minor way and was soon chastised for a very long scratch I placed on it after a single outing. It buffed out, but I was told by the wife to avoid screwing up the new vehicle. I had seen FirstToy and others discuss the 80 series TLC’s and had been perusing over here on MUD. I started searching 80’s online and was hooked. Beowulf was kind enough to have me over to look at his and there was no turning back. I even went back, later that same day, with my wife for a drive by so she could see what it was all about. My wife and I talked it over and I was given the go ahead to get one. The search was on.

I searched for both TLC’s and LX450’s for 6 months and found a nice condition LX450 in Scottsdale, AZ. Mine was LOCKED and this has proven to be a real bonus. I passed on other good LC’s b/c they didn’t have lockers. I’m glad I waited. The vehicle was born in Albuquerque, raised in Tuscon, educated in Scottsdale, and now resides with me back in ABQ to work. It had 126K on the odometer and was last owned by a Toyota mechanic who bought it for his wife and maybe to wheel, but she balked at the gas mileage. It now has about 145K on the odometer. It was in good shape.

IMG_2951.jpg

I baselined everything with synthetics and bought all my front and rear axle stuff from Cruiser Dan (in person, of course). Really is nice to live in a place with some great MUD members, High Desert Cruiser members, and the “Parts Shaman”.

I don’t consider myself very creative, but I am very good at searching and finding what I like and dislike. Using MUD and discussing with others, I feel I have steered my way to building the perfect rig for me and my family. I’m a bit of a “steeler” of others ideas. I see what works and what I like and then copy it.

I was also willing to wait for new products (Shortbus front) and I waited a long time for the 4X4 labs rear. Both of which, I am very pleased with. For anyone thinking that the cutting of the rear crossmember is a big deal, forget it. Piece of cake and you destroy other 80’s in the rear clearance department. I got my 305 MTR’s first and soon got the medium OME lift. After adding some weight (armor) I sold my lift to a buddy and upgraded to what I have now, J’s front and Heavy’s rear, with a little spacer in the rear. We’ll have to see how the rear works out. Loaded it is level or possibly slightly down if really loaded (not very often). No vibes for me at this time. The only noises I get are strange exhaust rattles from beating it up and cutting off the resonator.

IMG_8158.jpg

IMG_8161.jpg

Medium OME Lift

IMG_9124.jpg

J’s Front / Heavy Rear with 10mm Trimpacker

IMG_9129.jpg

I got the ride for family camping and as the family rock crawler. It serves my purposes well and is a great fishing rig too. My kids even like to play in it parked in the driveway.

IMG_9461.jpg

So far it has wheeled in AZ, NM, UT, and CO. I’m up for other trips but there is so much to do around here, why bother?

Mods as it sits now:

Uniden 520XL in dash CB with magnetic roof antenna
CDL switch with Pin 7 mod
Speedo gear change
Extended Diff Breathers with Filters on ends
Dual Optima Blue 34M’s Linked with Hellroaring BIC
305/70/16 Goodyear MTR’s
OME 850J / 863+10mm trim packer
Slee Shortbus Front bumper
Warn 9.5XP with Slee Fairlead
100’ Masterpull Syn line for winch
Masterpull 10’ Tree Saver
Desert Rat 3” Wide Strap
ARB Pulley and Warn Shackles
Hanna Sliders
Slee Transfer Skid
4X4 Labs Rear Bumper, Dual Swingouts with Ladder and Tire Carrier, Mooney Eyes License Bolt Lights
Removed Factory Rack and LineX'd Roof (ala Tyler)
Lexus Trail Team Sticker, Compliments of Tools-R-US
Various “On Trail” Clearance Modifications (Raised AC Dryer, Exhaust, Paint)

Future Mods:

Engel Fridge (Kurt from Cruiseroutfitters will call me when they come in)
Rear 12V plugs for fridge and other accessories as needed
Slee Extended Steel Braid Brake Lines
Long Shocks (Bilstein 7100’s – Ali will kill me if I do anything else)
35’s with a regear to 4.88 (will need associated bumpstop drops and such)
May switch to J’s in the rear or a bigger spacer
Firestick Antenna on the rear bumper

Possible Future Mods:

4” Slee Coils (We’ll see how it goes with the 35’s and J/Heavy combo or J/J’s)
Roof Top Tent
Rear Storage Drawers
York Compressor
Snorkel (Don’t tell my wife…she hates them)
GPS Hook-up of some sort
Fridge Sliding Tray

If you need pics or close-ups of any of my mods/gear, let me know and I’ll try to accommodate.

Last edited:
Wheeling at Cruise Moab 2007

IMG_9382.jpg

IMG_9386.jpg

IMG_9370.jpg

IMG_9444.jpg

IMG_9445.jpg

IMG_9447.jpg

IMG_9401.jpg

Wheeling in Colorado

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

Tulls_004.jpg

bbswitch.jpg

bb1.jpg

Tulls_011.jpg

Tulls_009.jpg

Wheeling around Albuquerque

cedro.jpg

CedroHill.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010042.jpg

P1010129.jpg

P1010135.jpg

P1010139.jpg

P4100050.jpg

P1010122.jpg

P1010093.jpg

P1010094.jpg

P1010104.jpg

P1010109.jpg

P1010113.jpg

P1010115.jpg

P1010119.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy it.

TR

Awesome rig. Looks great witht the Slee and 4x4 Labs.
Did you modify the front plastic part of the running boards to look like that or did you buy it somewhere?

Awesome rig. Looks great witht the Slee and 4x4 Labs.
Did you modify the front plastic part of the running boards to look like that or did you buy it somewhere?

I modified the plastic ends to the stock running boards. Just took a cut off wheel and some chalk lines. I think it turned out pretty clean.

TR

Nice Graham.

It's been a pleasure wheeling with you and experiencing how quickly you have become more and more fearless in your wheeling.

Soon, your truck will look like mine!

:flipoff2:
-o-

Looks perfect. have you got any closeup pics please?

I modified the plastic ends to the stock running boards. Just took a cut off wheel and some chalk lines. I think it turned out pretty clean.

TR

Nice write-up and thanks for contributing.

Love the color.

Hmm, this picture looks familiar to me:rolleyes:

IMG_9401.jpg

Oh and it looks like your hood was open :D

bb1.jpg

great read... that looks like black bear pass awesome

Looks perfect. have you got any closeup pics please?

Here ya go,

Front

IMG_0490.jpg

Rear

IMG_0491.jpg

A helpful word. They both kind of melt if you just keep on cutting straight through. Take your time, let it cool down, then use a file to smooth out the rough edges. The back could be cut a little more because it rubs on the slider. Maybe later.

Beno,

Looking forward to wheeling more with you in the future man.

Romer,

Did you notice you and your girls with me and CDan on Fins? My truck is yours' little sister.

TR

Last edited:
great read... that looks like black bear pass awesome

Yes, that is Black Bear Pass. I was forbidden in high school to go on it. It took me years to get back to the area and that was my first run on it. Not a big deal, just two pucker spots but not really difficult compared to other stuff I've run.

Romer,

Yes my hood was cracked. Ali believes that it helps to cool the engine more when moving slowly. Can't hurt at low speeds. I saw the discussion, a month back or so about hood spacers, of what may occur at faster speeds for both safety and as a possible decrease in cooling.

TR

nice write up, nice pics, and a very nice rig.:cool: its nice to see the family out there with you. :cheers:

nice write up, nice pics, and a very nice rig.:cool: its nice to see the family out there with you. :cheers:

Thank you very much. Taking the family is a lot of fun for me. It is hard because the kids are still pretty little.

Why don't they like to wheel all day? :eek: (This could be my wife's face as i push it further and further.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom