FJ60 Oil Pressure Sending Unit Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Y'all,

Well my oil pressure gauge has been at the 2/3 mark ALL the time for the last few months. I checked the oil level and everything has been fine. Just finished installing a new oil pressure sending unit, but still the same reading. Is the electrical wire/clip actually attached to the middle part of the sending unit? And what is the electrical male spade that's there for then? When I removed the old unit, the wire was attached to the center tab (thingy). I checked the FSM, but could not get a picture of how it's supposed to look.

I guess my gauge may be bad, what's y'alls recommendation?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

The clip on the end of the wire attaches to the pin in the center of the sending unit. Yes it just slips on there, and seems like it would not stay there, but it will.

If your gauge did not change with the new sending unit, and you have ohmed the wire from the sending unit to the gauge cluster plug and have continuity, I would suspect that the gauge is the issue.

Good luck!

-Steve

Do you mean all the time like even when it's off? On the 60, mine reads at 2/3 all the time that the motor is running. The only reason that seems weird is that my 80's oil pressure, which uses the same sender, varies all over the place depending on engine speed and temperature. If you are worried, check it with a test guage before you worry.

The spade terminal is for the later trucks. They have a ground wire that attaches there. The main sender signal goes through the center.

No, not all the time. When the engine is off the gauge goes all the way down. But when the engine's running, it goes to the 2/3 mark and stays there no matter what the revs are. In the past, while idling, the gauge would register 1/3 and rise to 2/3 when I gas it.

Has anyone changed out just the oil pressure gauge before? Our FZJ80's oil pressure gauge would go up and down as the RPMs vary up and down.

Thanks Poser & Cruiserdrew!

Regards,

Chuck

Anyone changed out the OEM Oil Pressure Gauge on an FJ60 before?

TIA,

Chuck

on my fj60 it reads 2/3 all the time except on highway speeds it drops to 1/2...

The PO of my 60 had the oil pressure gauge connected incorrectly. The gauge was fried. It ALWAYS read 4/4 when running. Now it shows about 2/3 to 3/4 when driving. Follow the manual when hooking it up...

Mike S

Not that I completely trust the factory gauge after 21 years, but mine
always stays just under 2/3 when running. Slightly lower at idle, slightly
higher at cruise.
If you're worried, cruise on over to your favorite parts house and pick up a
mechanical gauge. You may need to get an adapter for it, but I'm not sure.
Anyways, this'll tell you what your real oil pressure is at all times.

Yeah, I'll try to pick up a used gauge cluster (left side) and change those gauges out to see if it makes a difference. Hopefully they're not too expensive. If that doesn't work, then I'll definitely hook up a mechanical one instead. I'm going to contact the local Toyota dealership to get some new parts prices also to compare.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Chuck

my fj60 reads 3/4(- maybe a tad sometimes) all the time when running, always been like that and AFIAK its correct.

If I recall the wire goes to the middle stud(if there are 2) the other is for a ground....if its used. My 3fe's and 2f's only use the center stud. If your female conector is toast, a normal(.25" I think) female wireing conector will slip right onto the stud.

also DO NOT mess with the wire or sender if the key is on, take the key out, I toasted my 45 guage when I cut the sender wire when the key was on.

Andrew the fzj oil presure is all over the place it acts nothing like a f/2f/3fe..........it can be kinda worrysome but they all act the same. My UZJ acts similar as well.

I wasn't getting any reading at all and thought I had a bad sender so, my situation sounds different.

After losing any reading on my gauge I changed out the sending unit a couple of time and checked the wiring to find everything was fine under the hood. A new/used gauge from cruiserparts.net and I was back in business. Not a hard change over but you do have to remove and diassemble the cluster so, I would start with the sending unit first.

[quote author=hj60 link=board=29;threadid=16767;start=msg162558#msg162558 date=1085364982]
Not that I completely trust the factory gauge after 21 years, but mine
always stays just under 2/3 when running. Slightly lower at idle, slightly
higher at cruise.
If you're worried, cruise on over to your favorite parts house and pick up a
mechanical gauge. You may need to get an adapter for it, but I'm not sure.
Anyways, this'll tell you what your real oil pressure is at all times.
[/quote]

Ditto here, not much change.

i've replaced two OEM sending units over the past 10 years. My last one only read about 1/4, once i replaced it, it stays at 3/4. It does drop down though when i'm idling.

Mine stays a little above 3/4 all the time... even at idle. I have only had my 60 for 2 days now, so I will keep an eye on it. I love this forum.

Previous owner did the V8 conversion and oil pressure gauge has never worked. It seems like I heard that if I put the Toyota sender in (supposedly is same size and thread pattern) it would work. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks!

Brad

The 3F oil pressure sender is the same unit used on the diesel 1HZ and petrol Corolla motors.They all have the same oil pressure
My oil pressure is in line with the others.1/3 idle 2/3 highway

Oil Pressure

Well, just to add to the fun - mine has me a *little* concerned. When I get up to freeway speeds, it tends to sit at about 1/3. If I let off of the gas pedal, the pressure goes up. It's been this way since I put the new engine in a couple of years go. But since then, the car has mostly been garaged. Now that it's actually back on the road (had to put in a new brake power booster among other things), and I am driving it a minimum of two hours a day, I need to know if I should be "concerned" or just "bugged" by this.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?

Thanks.

I had a similar problem with the oil pressure gauge. Changed the sending unit twice and ultimately had to change out the gauge in the cluster panel itself. Now it stays at at 2/3 most of the time with minimal movement.

Go to NAPA and spend $30 on a pressure gauge. Hook it up, run it into the cab and drive it then record the pressure at the different RPMs. Match that with the book reading then get to worrying about why the idiot gauge does not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom