What type of gear oil for tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all, and happy fathers day to all Crawlers!:cheers::beer::beer:

I've drained both tranny and transfer case and would like to know if Golden West 80w-90 GL-5 gear oil is O.K. to put back in? Your wise thoughts please.

Ready.

I've drained both tranny and transfer case and would like to know if Golden West 80w-90 GL-5 gear oil is O.K. to put back in? Your wise thoughts please.

Ready.
Howdy! Probably OK, but who makes that? Is it a house label for a parts store? John

I've drained both tranny and transfer case. Your wise thoughts please.

Ready.

hope you made sure you can get the fill plugs off before draining!

I'm doing the cheap oil change it often thing. I use Valvoline 85-90. I change oil twice a year. If you only change oil every 30K or something I'd shop around for a higher quality oil. The 40 trannies get hell for hot, especialy if you are doing a lot of low range travel. AFAIK heat is what kills oil.

D'animal, thanks for the fast response. Inkpot, I purchased that oil from the local Toyota dealership her in San Antonio.

what type of weight do you guys use for the transmission, transfercase, and other gear splitters?
Howdy! I am running Schaeffer Oil parasynthetic 85 - 140 in bot axles, tranny, transfer, and Ranger underdrive. About $75 for a 5 gallon pail. John

I use the 80W90 from Autozone in the black jug.

Valvoline with some Lucas oil additive

Valvoline synthetic.

anyone use Royal Purple Synchromax? http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/scmax.html
a lot of the BMW guys swear by this stuff and the amazing things it does for their transmission. i would like to try it out for my tranny, transfer case, and gear splitter, but checking out any comments or opinions first

BMW's and FJ40's are about as far apart on the operating parameter scale as you can get, :lol:
These are not tight tolerance, high performance vehicles. I'm not saying that the Royal Purple is bad stuff but is it really appropriate for what is essentially a tractor?

:idea:I'm wondering what the CAT/CASE heavy equipment guys use, that would be the stuff for our rigs.

BMW's and FJ40's are about as far apart on the operating parameter scale as you can get, :lol:
These are not tight tolerance, high performance vehicles. I'm not saying that the Royal Purple is bad stuff but is it really appropriate for what is essentially a tractor?

:idea:I'm wondering what the CAT/CASE heavy equipment guys use, that would be the stuff for our rigs.

true. however im curious as to what it could do for our 30 year old rigs if it can cause a night and day difference for 5 year old cars. perhaps those of us who are thinking of a rebuild or have a sticky transfer case this might help. just a thought

Anything synthetic would be my guess. I have Amsoil in mine but does not mean I will keep using it.

The use of GL-5 in Toyota truck transmissions is controversial because Toyota does specify GL-4 or GL-5. However many gear lube "experts" claim that GL-5 can attack yellow metal components of transmissions or can be too slippery for synchonizers to work properly. Others argue that most gear lubes are GL-4/GL-5 rated and are, therefore, appropriate for transmissions and differentials. Lots of people on both sides, I can't identify any clear winner.

GL-5 has EP additives for hypoid (differential) gear designs that are not necessary for transmissions, GL-4 is fine for transmissions. Many Toyota truck operators testify that using GL-4 eliminated gear-shifting difficulty that was experienced when using GL-5.

For me, I decided to use Valvoline Hydro-Lube 80W-90 GL-3 and GL-4 in the transmission. I have had a Toyota minitruck transmission disintegrate and I suspect that use of GL-4/GL-5 may have contributed. Tranny rebuilds are expensive compared to the cost of doing something special based on unsettled opinions. I also use it in the transfer because the seal between the two is notorious for leaking (mine does). The problem with GL-4 is that it is hard to find in the common auto stores. I had to go to a lube distributor, buy 5 gallons, and paid non-discount price.

For long service life, I like synthetic and Mobile1 is a GL-5 option. For synthetic GL-4, I use Red Line MT-90. You really have to go out of your way to get Red Line. I don't use synthetics in the FJ60 because I need to fix some leaks.

Sorry for the dissertation, I felt talkative today.

Andy

well, my 1973 Toyota owner's manual says to use 90 wt oil, and change every 12k miles or 12 months. if you're changing that heavy of an oil that often, why bother with expensive stuff. and besides, I feel loose tolerances in my transmisson.
it's nothing like a new dodge ram

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom