New FJ 60 - Must Haves? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
andrewloe.com
I just got a 1984 FJ 60 Land Cruiser - any "must haves"? I'm going to put a new stereo in it so it can interface with my iPod etc. Any thing I should make sure and get/check/or change?

Last edited:
[quote author=WALoeIII link=board=29;threadid=16581;start=msg159533#msg159533 date=1084931053]
The engine has been re-worked and is pushing ~ 230 HP [/quote]

That is not the original 2F engine, right? If it is... :eek: wtf :eek: has been done to it. I want to do the same!!!

[quote author=WALoeIII link=board=29;threadid=16581;start=msg159533#msg159533 date=1084931053]
I just got a 1984 FJ 60 Land Cruiser - any "must haves"? I'm going to put a new stereo in it so it can interface with my iPod etc. The engine has been re-worked and is pushing ~ 230 HP - I don't have the mod list with me. Any thing I should make sure and get/check/or change? I've already bought it as its at the right price.
[/quote]

Tuffy Security Console to lock up that iPod :D

Lockers
Winch
FF rear axle
Bitchin' high power aux.lights
Good tires
Custum rear bumper w/tire rack
Dual batteries
Under carrage lighting for night wheeling
NV4500 tranny
Etc., etc.

devo

Must haves for a 60?

AAA membership.

[quote author=Doc link=board=29;threadid=16581;start=msg160234#msg160234 date=1085009942]
Must haves for a 60?

AAA membership.
[/quote]

:D

Damn, aint that the truth! I've used my AAA twice in the last two months......but that was a run of bad luck with 20 year old parts. Had the same driver each time, real nice guy!

--ZERO

Best advice I heard regarding a "new to you" cruiser was to fix all the stock stuff first. Great stereo, lights, etc are cool, but it sucks to have your air pump fail because the power steering pump is pissing all over it. If along the way you can upgrade, then fine. But, the key is to get the whole truck back to fully functional before adding fun stuff.

Good example is usually the springs - they're almost always shot. Most guys go with an upgraded aftermarket suspension. This fixes a bunch of things, and does an upgrade too.

Welcome!

I've had my 60 for just over a year, and was changing a seized oil pump when I noticed that I had some broken leafs in front, and a broken shock in the back. Might be worth looking closely at. I upgraded to OME and I love it.

[quote author=lovetoski link=board=29;threadid=16581;start=msg160435#msg160435 date=1085029523]
Best advice I heard regarding a "new to you" cruiser was to fix all the stock stuff first. Great stereo, lights, etc are cool, but it sucks to have your air pump fail because the power steering pump is pissing all over it. If along the way you can upgrade, then fine. But, the key is to get the whole truck back to fully functional before adding fun stuff.

Good example is usually the springs - they're almost always shot. Most guys go with an upgraded aftermarket suspension. This fixes a bunch of things, and does an upgrade too.

Welcome!
[/quote]

I'll second that. Get to driving the truck and get used to it first. There's plenty to go wrong and money spent on 100000watts of lighting won't keep it on the road. Make sure your tool box is properly equiped, find out what's going on and what needs fixing...and take it from there!

#1 must have (goes for any Cruiser): FSM.
Or the Haynes (for us U.S. owners) manual.
My 2F manual has probably saved me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on
my motor. The emissions manual has cost me hundreds, but I'm confident my
rig will pass smog in Aug. which easily offsets the cost.

Congrats on the purchase....Good advise on getting everything in good working order before any mods.

For me, it was new tow points fron and back, a shovel, a tow strap and a fully equiped tool kit.

Then make sure you can get the spare tire down.

After that the list gets huge....

...a sledge hammer and an inpact wrench...

In my own case, it was the following - in order:

1. Full factory service3 manual set.

2. Front to back physical looking for stuff that the PO neglected or screwed up, then fixing them. Included tune up, PS pump and Air pump/emissions system. Passed smog test.

2. New (complete) clutch assembly and hydraulics. Used all OEM parts.

3. Transfer case rebuild.

4. H55F Transmission

5. New MTRs all around

6. Replace factory headlights with Hella H$ street legal replacement units

7. Added Hella 130 watt driving lights

Next will be some additional protection, suspension upgrade, dual batteries, and ARB locker.

A lot depends on what use you intend...

Mike S

The Hella Headlights are awesome. I finally got my set in and they are soooo nice. They seem to draw a lot less power than the old ones did, too. Might have been from dirty contacts though - or they're just that much more efficient.

Link me to these Hella lights. I need both the horn and the lights!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom