Builds Metal Tech: LT's FJ40 Build Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LT

Threads
Well I decided to get a little nuts with my FJ40. Kinda got sick and tired of the old sm465, with a standard spring over. I'll let the pictures do the talking :D

First stage of the build up I decided I wanted to do the raised fender wells. I've always like how they looked. Besides that, here at Metal Tech we are pretty avid at cutting away the body rather than lifting the rig higher just for bigger tires.
Raised Fender.jpg
Frame Ties.jpg

After raising the fender wells I had to build a new cage. I wanted to retain the Metal Tech family cage look so I shortened the rear portion up so now it is just a miniaturized version of the standard family cage. This basically shows what a fully loaded Metal Tech cage looks like. Has the hip guards, dash cross bar, extra rear over heads, and frame ties front and rear.
106_01.jpg
106_02.jpg

Next was the most major pain in the ass part of this whole project. My 4 link set up. I've always like the 1/4 elliptical set up and doing a lot of searching I decided to go with the F250 springs like Jack Rice, Mace and Chris (DHONDAGOD) used on their rigs. I have managed to keep the height the same as a standard SOA which I am pretty happy with. I has allowed me to keep relatively low to the ground. I am still around 23" to the bottom of the frame.

One unique feature about this 4 link is the use of or newly released hyper joints. They utilize a bushing from a XJ that is pressed into a machined hub. On one end the link is welded on and the other end is the hyper joint. The hyper joint uses a 1" bolt that is threaded into a main body that has been machined. Has a zirk fitting and wiper seal to help keep dirt and grease inside.

I'll have to get some final measurements on my 4 link and I'll post the numbers.
HyperJoint.jpg
Link01.jpg
Link02.jpg

Forgot to mention that I extended the wheel base to 106". My 37's now stick past the rear bumper.
Depature01.jpg

1> center limit strap

2>....mmm...no 2 yet....but it looks awesome...nicely done!!

For shocks Metal Tech became a Sway Away dealer so I opted to get some 14" travel emulsion shocks that are nitrogen charged. They can handle up to 200 psi. I have it set up right now with 3.5" up travel and the rest for down. I really dig how my shock hoops came out. I still need to do some bracing on them.

You can also see I installed a IPOR rear diff cover. I smashed the crap out of my old one and it was starting to rub against my ring gear.
Bed02.jpg
Bed03.jpg
Rear End.jpg

I also ditched the sm465 to 4spd t-case set up for a SM465, ToyBox with 4.7 gears, and a 87 FJ60 split case. I am now geared at a stupid low of 289:1 :grinpimp:
Skid Plate.jpg

Installed my hydro assist that I bought from Woody a bazillion years ago. Still need to redo the routing on the hoses. Also didn't like how it was mounted so I am going to be re-mounting it so it is more parallel with the tie rod.
Hydro Assist.jpg

Finally I installed our newly released tube half doors for the FJ40. Here a sneak peak at the production set. Still doing some minor tweaks to them here and there. But this is what they look like on the 40.
TubeDoors01.jpg
TubeDoors02.jpg
HingePlate.jpg

Last edited:
1> center limit strap

2>....mmm...no 2 yet....but it looks awesome...nicely done!!

That is on the list of to do. I think a chain will work nicely hehe. When I had the exhaust done I completely forgot that I need the center limiting strap right where the resonator sits :doh:

I'm sure I forgot a whole bunch of other stuff. My cruiser still needs a lot of work left on it.

1.) Limiting strap

2.) Bump stops

3.) Shock hoop bracing

4.) Patch up the bed where I cut too much out for the shock ;p

5.) Re-seal the rear end

6.) Prep it for paint. It will be the same orange as our FZJ80.

7.) Might screw with the shackle hanger up front or install my FJ55 rears.

8.) Wheel the piss out of it and see if I can blow anything up.

9.) Also looking at getting 30 spline longs, 4340 rear shafts and 42's. should be interesting if the Land Cruiser stuff can hang with big meats :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom