I'm getting new tires! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I've got the lift, 2.5 inch BDS with 1.5 inch shackles. The 30x9.5's are just...well, not right. I don't want to go huge, but I'm trying to decide on 31x10.5 or 32.11.5. Do they make a 32x10.5??

I've been following various threads on tire sizes, and it seems that 32's would work out fine, any thoughts??

AND...I need a good rec on a reputable tire. somethings that's good on road and off, that will last awhile.

Thanks!!!!
:cheers:

sounds to me like you need some 32x11.5x15 bfg mud terrains.that would be a nice fit.or you may be able to get away with the 33x10.50x15 mud terrains,may rub a little though.

ive got 3" lift and run 33x12.5 (wheels are 3 1/4" backspacing) with the slightest of rub. I have no problem at all. If I were you i would go 33x10.5 and it would be perfect. I think you could fit 33x12.5 fairly easily though. Its up to you man. good luck

btw a lot of people love BFG so i would go with them (although i have pro comp MT)

[quote author=tclndcrz link=board=1;threadid=15097;start=msg142467#msg142467 date=1082509934]
ive got 3" lift and run 33x12.5 (wheels are 3 1/4" backspacing) with the slightest of rub. I have no problem at all. If I were you i would go 33x10.5 and it would be perfect. I think you could fit 33x12.5 fairly easily though. Its up to you man. good luck

btw a lot of people love BFG so i would go with them (although i have pro comp MT)
[/quote]

Where do they rub and when? Just for furture reference...thanks :beer:

With your lift 33's are perfect. You'll have loooonnnnngggg legs for the freeway, and not much penality for off-road. The question is what width to go to? Options are 9.5, 10.5 and 12.5 inches. Narrower gives better milage, better traction in snow, easier turning. Wider has it's benefits too. 9.5 inches will work on your stock rims. Some run 10.50 on stock rims fine, some (Landpimp) have reported wandering. 12.5 inches requires new rims.

FWIW, 10.5 looks great on a lifted/mostly stock 60. Wide enough to look right, but narrow enough to still be functional in snow, on road, etc. In my case I went with 33X9.5 because I didn't want any highway wandering, and snow performance is key for me. In hindsight, I should have gone for 33X10.50 on the stock rims. If they worked fine, good. If they wandered, then I could have gone to wider rims. I think the 33X9.50 look a bit narrow - performance is great however.

Once you decide on width, then brand options will be more clear. Lots of brands/styles are available in 12.5. Very few in 9.5, only a few more in 10.5.

HTH.

#1 MTRs
#2 BFGs
The size of the tire varies alot so you might want to measure for actual size. For example my "35s" only measure out to 34". My "33s" only measure 32".

like hammerhead said :D tire sizes vary per manufacturer and BFG's run a little smaller than what is stamped on the sidewall. If gearing will allow it 33x12.50's would be my choice.

get the BFG 33x9.5x15. They are great. I don't have power steering and don't have any problem.

Thanks for all your input. I think I'm going to go with the 33's, but the question then becomes, 10.5 or 9.5??? I'll have to think about that one.

Thanks again!

with your 2.5 and shackles I would prolly go with 33x10.5(on a 15x8 wheel) they will prolly stick out a bit from the sides. Also only BFG makes a 33x10.5

[quote author=85fj60 link=board=1;threadid=15097;start=msg142847#msg142847 date=1082565268]
Thanks for all your input. I think I'm going to go with the 33's, but the question then becomes, 10.5 or 9.5??? I'll have to think about that one.

Thanks again!
[/quote]

[quote author=VTCruiser link=board=1;threadid=15097;start=msg142611#msg142611 date=1082520377]
Where do they rub and when? Just for furture reference...thanks :beer:
[/quote]

when my suspension is fully flexed with the wheels cranked all the way one way the front tires rub a tiny bit on the front and back of the wheel well. also on the back left tire it looks as if the tire has rubbed off a little bit of mud on the exhaust pipe.

I should be able to solve the front rub by using a ball peen hammer and banging in the wheel well a little bit or lengthening the bumpstops. On the rear I am making a custom exhaust so i will just move the pipe over a little.
None of this is really necessary and i think my exhaust rub is because i bent my exhaust on a rock but whatever.

I know some disagree with me, but personally, I'd stay away from the 33x9.50 or 10.50 on a lifted 60. I had the BFG MT 33x9.50's on my 60 when I bought it and hated how it drived. The road wander was almost uncontrollable on the highway, especially in deep ruts. And for God's sake don't put anything on the roof! Once the swaying started it would take a couple of miles or a complete stop to get it to stop. Off-road they were ok, but not great.

The best thing I did was go to 12.50 wide. Drastically improved stability both side to side tippiness as well as road wander. Also, I found them much better off road, as you can air down farther without popping a bead.

That's my $0.02 worth.

Oh, depending on where you are, if you are interested in a set of BFG AT 32x11.50's I've got a nearly brand new set about to be for sale.

Mike

Hey Mike,
I may be interested in those BFG's. I'm in Seattle and can take a little trip up north. What's your reason for selling?? The other question, would they fit on stock rims, 15x8??

John

Hey Mike,

I'm really curious as to the source of your poor experience with 33X9.50 or 33X10.50? My 60 (w/33X9.50) goes straight as an arrow down the road. I have a 2.5" MAF lift, with 4 degree shims, TRE's are tight, and alignment is good. There's a bit of play in the steering, but w/in spec. Grooves/ruts/etc don't make a difference, nor does speed - it always goes straight. Why would we have such a profoundly different experience? I'm not trying to argue one way or the other - tire choice is a personal thing - I'm just trying to understand what's behind the different performance.

Actually, I'm not sure I made the right choice in width for off-road, but I figure if I go wider, I can use these as spares! Or I can swap for road/off-road.

Where are you located? The width of the tire should fit your application. I live in the desert where a 9.50 would not give the desired flotation. If you live in a region where you need to get to the bottom of the mud to get traction then a narrow tire would be best. If you are doing highway and use your 4X to get to the ski resort then an all terrain would be the way to go. Be sure you get the tire that will do the job. If you are gonna cruise the mall then nothing looks as cool as big nasty rubber like say boggers. Hehehe.

i thought stock rim size ona 60 was 15x6???

I think you may be right. after doing some research, stock rims appear to be 15x6.5, which certainly limits tire choices, sans buying new rims. I'm still debating between the 33x9.5 and 33x10.5, but leaning toward the 9.5, given what people have contributed. Thanks for all your input.

I am running Goodyear Wrangler MT's in 31X10.50X15 on my FJ60 with stock rims. They work very well. The GY MT's seem to be a little narrower that other 10.50s I have seen. I like the 31's but I have an H55F which gives me the overdrive for the highway. At 2500 rpm, we're doing over 70 mph.

I would not go to tires over 9.50 or possibly, 10.50, on the stock rims.

Mike S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom