Piece of crap OEM wiper blades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hate these darn things. Been sitting here trying to figure out how to replace just the rubber and it's driving me frickin nutzo. I used to just replace the whole thing, then someone ::) had the brilliant idea to just order the inserts.

Ya'll replace the blades or just the inserts? :whoops:

I've just replaced the entire cheap plastic wiper blades that the PO installed with new OEM blades. So far I love them but I haven't tried the replace the rubber yet. Couldn't be that hard. :flipoff2:

:cheers:

I replaced the full blades with ones from NAPA. I was happy with ones I had used on a 98 4Runner but not too impressed with these ones.

Junk.

Hand the blades to your son and call me. I will walk him through the insert replacement :rolleyes:

Did you read the directions on the OEM box? :D :D :flipoff2:

Junk,

The instructions on the back of the OEM package are pretty helpful. Took me less than 10 minutes to do 3 blades on the LC (first timer).

IIRC, there's only double sided teeth lock on one end of the arm that you'd need to compress to pull the insert out (along with two stainless-steel lock strips). Installation is reverse.

Regards,
Frank.

Wow, I didn't know that was an option. I replaced mine last year and loved them and plan to replace them again this month - but I was just going to buy the entire piece.

I think the OEM rubber inserts are 200X better than any aftermarket crap from Shucks/Napa/etc - even from Bosch, etc.

That said, I agree with Junk that the actual replacement of the rubber inserts was "challenging." I've managed to do a bunch of other repairs, but this one looked easy, but took way too much thinking. Once I got it figured out (relief for sure), it was obvious. Hindsight...

Of course, maybe it was the martini I drank before hand...

>> I think the OEM rubber inserts are 200X better than any aftermarket <<
>> crap from Shucks/Napa/etc - even from Bosch, etc. <<

I agree with Doug. In our climate wiper blades usually dry rot before they "wear out." I put a set of new OEM Toyota's on a few weeks ago and it was like a new car. Completely silent as they glide across the windshield taking every last drop with them. Sweeeeet.

-B-

OEM inserts are the best there are. I have an artical from Consumer reports that says the Toyota inserts out preformed everyother insert there is and I would agree.

But the 1st time replacing them gave me some greif..........but they are super easy once ya figure it out. Just pull the damn thing out and slide the new ones in.......... :flipoff2:

I stupidly replaced the worn oem units with the best super deluxe bosch sets available and stupidly threw the oems out except for one trail spare. A year later the Bosch are so bad they are on the verge of scraping the windshield.

When I bought my truck the wipers barely had any rubber left. I have a feeling that they were never replaced. Considering the tires were never replaced and the truck lived in Las Vegas, NV all it's life (not to be confused with Las Vegas, NM) I'm pretty confident of this fact. Anyway I had to replace the blades with some Bosch ones because the local Toyota dealer in Flagstaff was closed since it was the weekend and it was snowing.

I've been somewhat impressed with the Bosch but I kept the OEM blades so I can refill them when I need new wipers.

There was a time where I used to buy new blades other than refills because I hated messing with refilling the blades. After playing with this for a few years I decided that all blades suck besides OEM so now I must do the refills.

I have also found the OEMs to be better than anything I have tried (I feel like i've tried them all) - the only thing I noticed, is that when I first put them on there was a period of about 1 week where they would literally leave rubber on the windshield (it would accumulate in a line) - did others experience this as well?

Dan - what's the list price on an entirely new wiper arm (ie not the blade or insert - the piece that bolts onto the spline - mine was slipping, and I've seemed to fix it, but may require a new unit)

Cheers, Hugh

i had purchased piaa silicon blades on my 98. had them a year and they were incrediable. just bout a 2003 and stupidly didnt switch the blades. now im stuck with the oem ones, and there is simply no comparison. the oems are not even close in performance to the piaa silicon blades. After having the piaas, the oem blades are pieces of crap

Hugh,

Which arm?

Those who don't like the OEM blades should double check next time you buy from the dealer. Some Toyota dealers also sell some non Toyota consumables like wiper blades, brake shoes, etc. I've never found anything better than refills from Toyota packaged in a box from Mr. T. Junk, I've been through perhaps 8 sets of refills and they get very easy after the following technique is adopted. Pull both arms off the truck and set them on a table in the same L-R orientation as they're on the car (so they end up in the same spot). Then use a simple pair of pliers to squeeze the sides of the wiper in (compressing the metal strips edge-wise into the rubber blade), right at the end of the wiper blade where you can see it's "locked" into last pair of the metal fingers. Once squeezed, you can slide the insert a half inch or so (until the pliers hit those metal fingers) as this compresses things enough that the fingers will relenquish their grip on the dimple in the rubber they were locked to. At this point, you should be able to pull the insert all the way out.

Now lay the new insert on the table in the same orientation as the old one. ONE AT A TIME, remove the metal strips from the old one and place them in the new one. Now it's a bit of juggling to hold the three parts together ( 2 metal strips, new rubber insert) as you feed the nonlocking end along the pairs of fingers. Pay special attention that these fingers all ride in the proper groove as you carefully feed the insert back in. The proper groove means the insert freely slides on with minimal resistance. If it catches badly or refuses to go on, suspect you're jamming it onto the the wrong groove (this is obvious when you're doing it).

Once you've fed it almost all the way on, the same end fingers that were locked into that dimple will prevent you from feeding it all the way on. Grab the pliers and squeeze in the same spot and use the pliers to forcibly pull the insert the last half inch until you can see/feel that the fingers drop into that dimple. This holds the insert on, of course.

The reason I had you put both wipers on the table is so you can simply pick up the unmolested one for reference if things don't look right. Of course, if you've already stripped the old inserts both out - you're hosed!

Dunno if it matters, but I also note that the metal strips are curved and I keep them oriented so they help the wiper insert curve in the same way as the windshield curves.

DougM

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=14770;start=msg139135#msg139135 date=1081971214]
Hugh,

Which arm?
[/quote]

Dan:

I may want to replace both, but the problem was with the DS.

Cheers, Hugh

Doug -
Great step-by-step directions. You have a future writing owners manuals :D.

And I'll second your caution about making sure that blade refills bought from Toy dealerships are indeed Toy parts - the local dealer here in Black Mountain also sells knockoffs (for non-toy customers such as trade-ins, I guess).

LT
8)

here is the Consumer Reports artical, its 2-3 years old

this is the part that mentions Toyota inserts kick butt
51131899.jpg

the rest of the artical
51131895.jpg

51131901.jpg

I ran OEM inserts before this, heck they are cheap, like $2.50 each.

Easy way to install!

I have a long drive tonight into the mtns, so I thought I'd pick up a new drivers side insert to ensure maximum visability should it rain (it is the NW). Also, I tried a "novel" approach to replacement - I popped the wiper blade off of the arm, brought it into the parts guy (Toyota parts guy naturally) and asked him for a replacement. He naturally offered to replace the insert for me. Took him about 1.75 seconds. The insert was ~$8.00. I can replace the inserts myself, but this was really fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom