Loud noise/vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last month under the Toyoda Certified Warranty, on our 2000 LC with 95K, we had the Center Differentral case and bearing assembly, they also replaced the high speed output gear assembly. Now we have a loud vibration in the front end, below our feet. Its as if we were driving over little bumps. I just had the tires rotated and ballanced to rule that out. Last week were in the snow and used the diff lock buton to get around, and now we notice the vibration. It occures only at freeway speeds (55+) and is worst during acceleration.
The rig was smooth before and is now defently worst since our snow trip. Is this related to the Central Differntal/Transfer case or has anybody had any similar problems???? Any help or suggestions.....

Could it be a cylinder misfiring?

This was the service bulit they did the work under for the Toy Cert Warranty. Has anybody else had this repair done???

Service Bulletin # : NV00101 - JAN 25, 2001 NHTSA Item #: 616661
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:LEVER AND LINKAGE:COLUMN SHIFT
Summary: INFORMATION ON MINIMIZING TRANSFER CASE BUZZ NOISE. *TT
MUD Notes : To address TCase buzz at lowspeed/moderate acceleration and highspeed/light acceleration Toyota modified the "Highspeed Output Gear", "Shift lever and Linkage" and the "Center differential case" (ie.. the whole Tcase). The fix to the problem if you have it is to R&R the entire works. 7.4 hrs. Covered under 6yr/60k powertrain warranty if there is a specific customer complaint. New t-cases installed from VIN JT3HT05J#Y0114609. If you have questions PM NMuzj100 with your email address.

Get it back to the shop. They obviously didn't get something right.

Also remember to do a fluid change after about a 1000-2000 miles. This should remove most of the break-in wear particles floating around in fluid.

my new to me used lx470 has what is described in this, i think. didnt notice it on the test drive route.

i can feel a slight buzz in the fuel pedal and gear shifter under light load.

is this what were talking about?

i have the 24 month, 100,000 k powertrain service agreement. will this be covered at 82000k?

I believe that the slight Buzz is normal. The TSB work is really expensive, requires a entire new transfer case, other parts and 7.4 hours of labor (valued by some dealers at $120/hr) so they are not doing the work for "normal drivetrain noises". I'm not sure what the cutoff for "normal" is but suspect that it would have to be at least audible rather than "felt".

If you have the actual problem they could cover it under the extended warranty. I would practice reproducing the symptoms at both lowspeed/moderate acceleration and highspeed/light acceleration so you can show the dealer service guy exactly what you are talking about and match it exactly to the TSB. Make sure your truck is in the proper VIN range also.

Archander - what symptoms did you have that prompted them to do the work? could you hear "buzzing"? volume ? quality of noise?

Last edited:
it actually wouldnt bug me, except it can be felt in the fuel pedal. i fear this may make me bonkers.

Back from Shop, problem fixed

Got it back today from the dealer. Some of the drive shaft bolts were "slack" and needed to be re torqued. The high speed buzz/vibration is gone. If i had a chance to do the service repair to the transfer case over again, i wouldent. They are built tough, they had to take it to a machine shop to get it apart, and had to replace the gears due to damage it the opening proces.

Thanks for the info on the fluid change, i did have them put syntic in it, but will change it when i go in for an oil change next month.

Got it back today from the dealer. Some of the drive shaft bolts were "slack" and needed to be re torqued. The high speed buzz/vibration is gone. If i had a chance to do the service repair to the transfer case over again, i wouldent. They are built tough, they had to take it to a machine shop to get it apart, and had to replace the gears due to damage it the opening proces.

Thanks for the info on the fluid change, i did have them put syntic in it, but will change it when i go in for an oil change next month.

First - sounds like they forgot to tighten the front driveshaft bolts, where they meet the diff??:whoops:

Second - I have done quite a few of these tsib's, sounds like the dealer you took it to didn't have the right stuff to press everything apart. The job is near impossible if you don't have just the right press tools. That being said if you do have the right tools it isn't really that tough. Some of the guys I have worked with won't do them though - usually just order a new t-case with the updated parts inside. 98-99 really noticable, later years not quite as bad. Don't see too many anymore.

I would say most dealers now would rather replace the component if it is warranty rather than "fix" it. Ex. I brought some 80 diffs into work to rebuild and regear and it was a constant parade around my bench "what are you doing? " That's why slee and marlin are so reputable - they still know how to fix stuff.:grinpimp:

archander,
Was it just the bolts that were the issue? I have a "howl" that is coming from under the TC and it sound like a tire howl...but I did what you did and rotated without and change in the howl. I have a 98 with 75k, I tow my track car mostly, but think I've got something loose!

Flash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom