3FE Dual Batt Setup and Homemade Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FloridaFJ80

Roaming Land Cruiser Heaven
Threads
Website
www.landcruiserheaven.com
For all the 3FE owners here on MUD, I wanted to show you my Dual Batt Setup along with my homemade rack.

Dual Batt Setup:

I had an extra Deep Cycle battery just laying around in the garage (have a boat) and well I decided to make a Dual Batt Setup.
So I went Shopping. I wanted a system to where I would be able to use a battery to run my accessories(10"sub and 500w amp, 12v outlets, fridge, radio, lights, 400w inverter etc) and at the same time have something in reserve for the inevitable dead battery. I didnt want it to be to complicated and easy to use. So I went with the 3 way switch used on boats. I also used a Blue Sea Fuse Panel for my (5) 12v outlets. Each outlet is individually wired with 14 ga wiring. For the main Battery connections to the switch I used 4ga wiring. In between each battery and the switch is a 300 Amp inline fuse. I mounted the secopnd battery in the cargo area right behind the passenger side 2nd row seat.

I will let the pics speak for themselves. I will be upgrading the batteries to an Optima Red top for Battery #1 and an Optima Blue Top Deep Cycle Battery for Battery #2, pretty soon. All in all the system can be done for under $200 not including the batteries.

235990862.jpg

235922719.jpg

235922706.jpg

235922734.jpg

235922745.jpg

235922757.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write-up. I had your original (pre-install) included in the FAQ. I have added this one to go with it

Safari Rack:

My friend, 80Jay, gave me a set of Publix(grocery Store) Aluminum Shelf racks, which can hold up to 1500lbs. So I took them in and joined them together, I painted them black. I then went to Home Depot and got 2 L shaped 1/8 steel beams. I bolted them up to each end so the racks would not flex. I then ordered some of the quick and easy clamps. and then I joined them to the racks using some 10" steel mending plates that I picked up at Home Depot. and then I bolted them to the rack, and then I mounted it to the rig. Here are the pics.
235926377.jpg

235926396.jpg

235926413.jpg

235926423.jpg

my 180 lbs along with a full size spare
235926439.jpg

after wheeling in Naples
235926456.jpg

235926478.jpg

Special Thanks to 80Jay for hooking me up.... Here are some pics of 80jay in action...
235930743.jpg

My rig pulling out 80jay out of same spot where I got stuck the nite before.
235930870.jpg

Hi Frank: My only concern would be the rack brackets position. You should put them as close as possible to B and C pillars.

sseaman - I have not noticed any noise increase whatsoever, even when I ride with the sunroof open.

robmir - thanks for the tip I will be seeing on moving my rack as close to the pillars as possible.

all I can say is that we put both the batteries and the rack to the test and it all held up like a charm. Good job with evrything.

If you ever start running alot of accessories and really need the reserve of that second battery, you might want to increase to 0ga. wire between the 2 batteries. I'd imagine that's a decent length run between the 2. You'll lose a bit of juice if the ga. wire is too small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom