Builds H55/Splitcase into 02/79-40 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Pulled the H42/onepiece case from this on Saturday. The oil pan gasket/pan was leaking so that was dropped as well and will make it really easy to swap out the rear main seal, when the clutch and flywheel assembly are removed.
jk01.jpg
jk02.jpg

Looks like the oil pan failed to keep all the engine parts inside at one time....
pan01.jpg
pan02.jpg

With the pan down I found an interesting collection of sunflower seed shells, pine needles and other little pieces of debris collected just under the oil pump screen.

The screen also has an interesting collection of hard plastic-like substance attached to it.
panjunk01.jpg
panjunk02.jpg
sump01.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the H55/splitcase next to the H42/onepiece case that was removed.
H5501.jpg
H5502.jpg
H5503.jpg

More of the H55, the box of shifter linkage pieces that came with the assembly from MAF and the tag with the part number on it.
H5506.jpg
H5504.jpg
H5505.jpg

did you get the splitcase from MAF, too?

looks sooo clean. i guess that's kind of expected from your shop though, ha ha.

plans for a trick xmember/skid like the one on your 40?

malphrus

The H55/splitcase came from MAF with the mainshaft and different rear bearing retainer changed so that the parking brake from the one piece case could be used on it.

The guy that owns this truck does not intend to pound rocks with this vehicle. After the trans is installed, I will look at the skid plate and see what can be done, but as of right now, he does not see the need for a 40MPH rock rated skid plate. ;) There will be something under there protecting this though.

Steve, does the H55 shift real smooth like a minitruck 5 speed or is more like a H41/2 with an extra gear? Not that the H41/2 is not smooth, but compared to my minitruck it is like a tractor tranny as far a throw and feel. I would love to know how sunflower seed shells and the rest of that mystery stuff got in the oil pan, weird...

Steve, does the H55 shift real smooth like a minitruck 5 speed or is more like a H41/2 with an extra gear? Not that the H41/2 is not smooth, but compared to my minitruck it is like a tractor tranny as far a throw and feel. I would love to know how sunflower seed shells and the rest of that mystery stuff got in the oil pan, weird...

The only H55 I ever operated was one that a customer had me install into an FJ-60 back in 1999, and it shifted smooth, just like any Land Cruiser four speed transmission, and worked really well.

The Mini-truck four and five speeds are completely different animals, and not anywhere near as heavy duty as a Land Cruiser four or five speed.

I would love to know how sunflower seed shells and the rest of that mystery stuff got in the oil pan, weird...

Engine was open outside for a period of time is the only thing that I can think of...

That smaller black, non-magnetic, non-metallic chunk has me baffled...I have no idea what that is or where it could have come from....it is not gasket material...it looks like cam chain follower material that you would find in the pan of a 20/22R/RE.... :confused:

Yeah, but where's the paper towel????

You aren't allowed to post Drool inducing pictures like that without appropriate support material! :crybaby:

Looks nice, except for the material in the pan.

Jeff

Steve, are you gonna swap the top pates on the trans or drill another hole in the floor?

Steve, are you gonna swap the top pates on the trans or drill another hole in the floor?

I am just going to modify the floor. I think that is far more realistic and would be applicable to others wanting to see how this is done, since the top plate for this transmission to suit a 40 series is pretty much non-existent. I have been searching for one for over a year now, and they are not that easy to come by.

You could always tell him to put a V8 in it then the hole would match up.

Hi All:

Great thread Steve! Thanks for sharing.

So, how much longer is the H55F & split t-case in comparision to the H42 & one piece t-case?

What are your plans for the frame crossmember that will have to be removed? Simply re-locate it rearward a bit, or ??

Regards,

Alan

you would have to drill a hole in the front half of the case and install an oiler(small little plastic piece)in it ...but yes it could work. Alan.. the cross member stay's in the same place

The H55 esentially is a H41/42 with the addition of a 5th gear. See the pic in post #5, where the tag is. That black section behind the main box holds the fith gear, the tag is attached to the shift linkage. Of course the other major differences is the different main shaft, length and gearing. They all should be able to attach to any split case 40,60,62.

Here is a rear view of 5th gear.........
SD801041 (Custom).JPG

Hi All:

I'm sorry, "DaveWest5150," but I don't see how that could work!

No disrespect intended, but there is simply not enough room to squeeze in a F Series engine, H55F, and "split" t-case in between the front motor mounts and the mid-chassis crossmember on a FJ40 that came with the H41/42 four speed tranny!

Sure, if it was a B Series engine and H55F and t-case drivetrain it might fit. But, there will definitely be clearance issues with a 2F and a H55f and that mid-chassis crossmember!

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DaveWest5150 said:
<snip> >Alan.. the cross member stay's in the same place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom