Curiousity KILLS!!! OEM electric locker??(FAQ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not to long ago, I stumbled upon this while reseaching about diff. lockers. Now that I've seen a response in regards of the possiblity here on "mud" it sparks my Curiousity(parts forum). I know with the right funds and imagination you could about anything but I'm more curious in the regards of truth in this article.

http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/fj80_locker/index.html

Plus it's in birfield.com, so I'm sure it must be within reasonable limits. I just don't ever hear to much heat on this topic.
Worth a Shot????

Not to long ago, I stumbled upon this while reseaching about diff. lockers. Now that I've seen a response in regards of the possiblity here on "mud" it sparks my Curiousity(parts forum). I know with the right funds and imagination you could about anything but I'm more curious in the regards of truth in this article.

http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/fj80_locker/index.html

Plus it's in birfield.com, so I'm sure it must be within reasonable limits. I just don't ever hear to much heat on this topic.
Worth a Shot????

what i think your asking is

is this possible?

Yeah, that's about it.........

Rear requires a full float rear axle (with a special rear axle on one side) as there are not provisions to use c-clip style axles with that locker.

Can be installed in the front, but again, will require a special inner axle on one side.

Just looking for personal opinions, perhaps if anyone has done, seen, or even
any type of experience along the matter of this.

which side of the axle, why that side , and where can one acquire such a special axle???????

thanks......

which side of the axle, why that side , and where can one acquire such a special axle???????

thanks......

Read the above links....

This is not exactly anything new or exotic. Been done a number of times.

Mark...

but I'm more curious in the regards of truth in this article.

I won't dwell on the usefullness here of an unlocking rear, you can get that much with the Warn unit. But with Tupp's you can throw a spare drive plate in the toolbox - what's that, 8oz of extra space? - and in the event of a blown hub just switch a rear to drive plate and fix your front end right there. With warn you have to carry a different spare for both front and rear.... which holds true for the rest of the dana hardware as well, nuts, washers, bearings, whatever - - with the toyota setup one spare does it all for front and rear.

When an OEM lockout fails, it usually damages the splines on the axle as well.

Further, I do not know many folks, at least not around here, that were running the Warn rear full-float kit and not running their fing birfield eliminator kit in the front as well, which, would make his point about multiple spares moot as well.

And on the topic of Tupp’s full-floater axle kits, it was another flash in the pan in the Land Cruiser world.

Tupp is a great guy, I had a blast wheeling with him in the Black Hills back in 1999 and helping him repair a torn rag joint on his steering while on Ice Man.

The debate about electric vs. air is really silly, since the complexities involved in properly installing either for long life and reliability are very similar.

:beer:

Last edited:
thanks a lot!!! This just put's things in perspectives for me. It will be quite some time till I jump into the diff locker world," for the time being, that is....."

The rear axle inner shaft on the 40/55 and early 70s are all the same. Ipso facto the long spline shaft from a BJ71 or a BJ74 will fit.

Same for the front inner long side.

The stock 55 front housing will suffice but you would need a FF rear housing.

These parts are available from Toyota (probably not from your version of Toyota though).

I have wheeled the tar out of my 93FZJ and never had an issue with the locker, front or rear. I felt that having seen so many challenges with ARB the OEM was the way to go.

Some of the ARB challenges I have seen are user/installer created and yes you have to install an OEM correctly and route wires correctly to not have problems but once that is accomplished it is basically bullit proof, in my opinion.

My 72 fj40 has one installed in the front. I elected to use a Detroit in the rear eliminating the selectability of the electric. Sometimes I feel that having the rear selectable would be a benifit but not having to "control" that function also is nice. 4 shifters and a locker switch is almost all I can handle now on a "busy" trail. I have a rear full floater already so the electric would have been easy to install.

If I were to say what the most desirable difference is in OEM vs others is the fact that you rip the wires off or other "reasonable" carnage the locker will not change state. If locked will stay locked if unlocked will stay unlocked. If you need to lock it manuall you can and it will stay that way. This is what sold me.

Thanks Rusty,
When I'm ready to go E-locker, how much funds should I have set aside for a complete project(front)? I called toyota for quick quote for an E-locker and was told 1600 after taxes. Is that about right or not???

Thanks Rusty,
When I'm ready to go E-locker, how much funds should I have set aside for a complete project(front)? I called toyota for quick quote for an E-locker and was told 1600 after taxes. Is that about right or not???

I paid $980.64 total for my elocker from the dealer, plus $200 more or less for the axle shaft, plus about $80 for the FZJ80 elocker sub-harness.

Thanks Rusty,

Dude, have you even read through those links posted above on the e-locker installs people have done previously? Seriously, read them. Even the one about the FJ60 install. It will help answer your questions.

Also, for OEM Toyota parts there's usually only one way to go, CDan at American Toyota. Search for him.

-Ferg-

Dude, have you even read through those links posted above on the e-locker installs people have done previously?

Dude, did you notice you are responding to a thread that was a year old?
Seriously ... :grinpimp:

Just to update the year-old post, Longfield now makes the appropriate "long" inner shaft to put an e-locker in your front end. That be a Long long with long splines. $125!

Longfield Super Axles

Note: These are the 30-spline only, so you have to use his birfs as well.

Mudrak has the long-splined long side front shaft that you can use with 27-spline birfs. They're about $200 or maybe a bit less.

G&S Cruiser Parts has OEM Toyota 70-series shafts from cable-locker front ends. They want $250 for them.

Other useful info: The front e-locker conversion will not clear the oil pan without a lift of some kind. Ask me how I know. :mad:

Pics from my conversion: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/226878-e-locker-asco-hubs-my-78-a.html

Last edited:
Dude, did you notice you are responding to a thread that was a year old?
Seriously ... :grinpimp:

:doh: I came to this thread through a link in another thread...checked the date (as I always do when I come through a link in another thread) and obviously didn't check the date hard enough... LOL Oh well. :doh: :cheers: :flipoff2:

-Ferg-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom