Spool? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a company that makes a spool for an FJ40 rear?

Right now I have welded spider gears and welds wear and break.
I dont want a locker, but that may be my only alternative.

Weld another carrier....

if yer following my instructions for welding a rear diff, they should hold up fine for quite some time.

I have yet to break it, but seem to break lots of other stuff....

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/woody/welded.html

(follow the last 4 pics...piece of cake...and pre-load the gears as shown too..)

I could weld another, or work with the one I have. I am looking at any options I have. right now the truck is down because the pinion bearings exploded on the rearend. Probably going to swap third members.

we have not had any problems out of the welded gears. they were welded about 10 years ago and have yet to give out.

we have not had any problems out of the welded gears. they were welded about 10 years ago and have yet to give out.

dont fix what not broken

true enough. I am just curious about the spool. I mean with my luck, Ill get the truck back together and 2hrs later the gears break.

This past weekend I put new tires on the fj40 and 2hrs later the pinion bearings blow up.

Iron Pig Offroad has a spool for sale. I got to check it out at CMCC last year and it looks unbreakable to me. The thickness of the thing was crazy compared to other spools I have seen. I don't see it on the Web site so you may want to give Lance a call if you are interested.

If you have axles that utilize C-clips and you want to run a spool, then you'll need to install a C-clip Eliminator kit,

probably not available for toyota,

more common for gm axles

So what keeps 'em there smart guy? ;)
It was night time and I was under the influence of bkfj40's homebrew :beer: at the time. I could be wrong on the application but I remember it reminded me of a LockRite without the two halves per side. Think big solid blocks per side.

Last edited:
i'm guessing it is a mini spool, like what they offer for a ford 8.8, it looks like a lockright but instead of teeth it has a block that goes thru.

I have heard legends of people making 12bolt spools work in a cruiser third...

I have a question, which will without a doubt, show my noobness.

With a welded carrier, can one drive on pavement without issues?

Thanks,
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom