Rear axle service - FF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nakman

addict.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.gamiviti.com
I swear I tried searching for this 10 different ways... only thing that came up was that "how much should it cost" post, I know it's come up recently. just frustrating, that's all..

Ok, so we're repacking my rear bearings on Saturday, all is well, but when I go to reinsert the axle on the short side (passenger's) it won't go in! Stops about 5" from where it needs to be, so wasn't even up to the splines in the diff yet. Few others give it a try, same result.. get the flashlight. Inside there's this gear that has fallen down, fallen about an inch.... no way the axle is going to slide through it. wtf? So after some head scratching, Jeff comes back with a long spare tire lowering tool, sticks it in there, then somehow wiggles that gear back up, it stays put long enough to get the axle in... whew! bolt that sucker on, quick! For about 30 minutes there we all had visions of pulling the 3rd member, to align that gear by hand, since FF axles don't have inspection covers.

So is that the gear that the locker moves when it engages? And the rest of the time, it's just idling on top of the axle, not engaged with anything? Should I have engaged the locker before pulling anything apart? All seems fine now, though I haven't turned the locker on to make sure it's working.. probably worth doing though. Did the whole job a lot like the writeup here (thanks go out to Klunky Chris!) http://65.40.131.223/fzj80_rear_bearing.htm but didn't see anything in there about engaging the locker. I look forward to your comments.

It was probably the dog gear on the shift fork for the locker. You could have removed the actuator and re-positioned it as well. Be glad you did not have to remove your axle this way [hijaak on]

With the other side axle out you can leave a broomstick or dowel in to keep the gear up

neat photos.
So, what should one do as far as the reassembly with or without locker engaged?
E

Hey! That's my website! :D

I didn't have the problems you had upon re-assembly but I only did one side at a time. Therefore one axle was in at all times. I wonder if this helped? Christo?
If so I'll be sure to put it in the write-up.

If there's anything you think is missing or any tips let me know!
(does my heart good to give something back.. *tear*)

I do remember one side being a pain to get alligned. I *think* it was the short side, but I forget. Same kind of problem, axle stopped with about 2" to go yet.
Also, I do have E-lockers.

Yes, thanks Chris, I edited my post above to give you the well-deserved props. I also did one side at a time, but I don't think it matters since the other axle doesn't make it all the way through the diff anyway. I like the wagon's broomstick idea.. will remember that next time it comes up.

Only edit I'd make to your site is on your illustration of the marks on the spindle and the marks on those three posts on the lock nut.. there are in fact 4 marks on the spindle, at 90° from each other... your site says only 3. That's so every 30° around you will have one set of marks lined up, and can install the two phillips screws.

shoot.....
that's what I get for making the site a bit after the work. I thought there were three, and my pic wasn't that great so....... :slap:

I'll see what I can do, I think I have the original pic to work from still.

So Christo, are you *supposed* to lock the diff first? I didn't for mine. My 94 Yoda service manual says nothing about it.

I followed Chris' instructions, too, but I didn't have any problems with a falling gear and I didn't have my lockers engaged. Lucky?

hehehehehe...so christo...i guess you got you axle out. how fun was that :D
did ben fix his too, or does it still make that funky clunking sound when he drives :D

I removed the short side with the rear unlocked and it took a lot of fiddling with the axle shaft to get it to line up, the gear did not fall all the way down like the way yours sounds like but it did misalign. TrailCarnages we put it together with the diff locked and it went right in

I'd like to know more about this also. I have a '94 supplement for the rear diff and I did not engage my locker when I pulled the axles. Did mine one at a time and did not experience any issues with misalignment. I'll be doing this again and would like to know what the deal here is? Anyone have a definitive feel on avoiding this potentially disastrous (for us home guys without Christo/Robbie levels of knowledge/tools) issue?

DougM

Yes, you are supposed to lock the rear diff before removing the rear short side shaft. For those of you who didn't and had no issues--consider yourselves lucky. The lock sleeve (the thing that fell down) slides back and forth along the long splined end of the shaft. The only things that contact the lock sleeve are the fork and the axle shaft. The shaft and the fork together keep the lock sleeve in position. Remove either, and your lock sleeve is gonna run somewhat wild. Maybe a couple pics will help.

One of my locking diffs that I had sent to me was missing the lock sleve so I got to learn a bit more about all the parts and such in the lock diff. Anyway, here's some pics.

In this one you can see the lock sleeve sitting in the fork. The diff is unlocked. You can see how the lock sleeve could just drop right outta the fork if you tipped a bit and without a shaft in there. (P.S. I stole this pic from Lance's site about puttin' 80 series lockers into an FJ55).

-Ferg-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom