Which Vortec Engine to Install in my FJ55?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Hi Everyone,

I am changing direction some on my FJ55 build. I have recently decided that I am going to go with a Vortec engine and drivetrain (automatic tranny), probably mated to a split case. More info on my project build below in my sig line.

The question I am trying to answer now is which Vortec engine to install? The considerations are the 4.8L V8, 5.3 V8 and 6.0 V8. I am also considering the vortec V6 engines, which trucks do these come out of? Silverado's only or other chevy models?

The issues I am concerned with are that I have been told with the 5.3L V8's you have issues in fitting the exhaust headers between the frame rails, as well as issues with the height of the actual engine, clearancing the oil pan.

The build is not one for off road. I want the pig to be fun to drive around town and do some light wheeling / camping which is why I will go with the vortec / auto setup.

Anyone with reccomendations / opinions on which model engine to go with would be appreciated, especially those from people with first hand FJ55 pig experience in swapping in V8 engines. I am not concerned with gas mileage as it is will not be a daily driver or long distance truck. I would like to put in the cleanest engine with low miles as possible. For these reasons I would prefer to use a newer year engine and as big and as much power as possible. I figure if I am going to do the swap I might as well get the largest engine that makes sense. That being said, I would like to hear what issues others have had with these engines into FJ55's. If a smaller V6 or a 4.3L V8 will fit much easier and be a much simpler swap than that's the way I will go. I have been told that the pig engine compartments are somewhat tight even more so than the FJ40's. I have a vortec in my FJ40 and love it, but it is somewhat tight. It is a 99 vortec which I have heard will fit better but I doubt I will be able to find a low mileage 99 engine out there and thus am looking into other newer model alternatives.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for the help. My apologies to the purists out there for going to the "dark side". :)

Noah

Lou, thanks I will give them a call, any other opinions? I would like to go with the 6.0 if possible, sounds like they are fairly tall engines though and I may have problems with the oil pan and only a two inch lift, would like to hear from others whom have dealt with this swap into an fj55.

Noah

cool Ryan, thanks! Yes, I was planning on using a later model hood with the raised center section. Does anyone know of anyone whom has installed a 6.0 vortec into an FJ55?? Sounds like maybe TLC has and I plan to call them tomm to pick their brains if they will let me.

Noah

Someone on the board has a 55 at Iron Pig Offroad with a Toyota V8 and Lexus transfer case. Pretty sweet setup.

Someone on the board has a 55 at Iron Pig Offroad with a Toyota V8 and Lexus transfer case. Pretty sweet setup.

yes, thanks for the info, appreciate it, but am looking for specific vortec swaps.....

Noah

Arron, thanks for that, good to know. Does anyone know if the 5.3 is smaller than the 6.0? what I mean by this I know it is smaller liter wise, but are the actual dimensions smaller? I was thinking if the 5.3 is not as tall and wide as the 6.0 it may be the key as I won't have as many issues with the oil pan and exhaust. thanks,

Noah

Arron, thanks for that, good to know. Does anyone know if the 5.3 is smaller than the 6.0? what I mean by this I know it is smaller liter wise, but are the actual dimensions smaller? I was thinking if the 5.3 is not as tall and wide as the 6.0 it may be the key as I won't have as many issues with the oil pan and exhaust. thanks,

Noah
I've seen a 6BT in a 55 and i don't believe it gets any taller than that, go with what you can source reasonably and be happy ;) My pops got over 150k with the 5.3 in his Tahoe ... so it's fairly reliable IMO and has nice power.

My $.02 -

Tucker

http://www.tlc4x4.com/tlc_FJ55photos.htm

Last edited:

Noah

I don't know for sure, but I think that they are the same physical size. The 5.3 is a really good engine, even stock. Keep the internals and modify the engine mapping.

I am currently putting in a 96 350 in my Pig. The oil pan will be close, but a non-issue if you take time to really fit it the best. I thought that I may have fitment issues with the 350/SM465/NP205 combo but there is enough room to comfortably fit.

For engine mounts, I cut the engine cradle out of a 78 K20 and cut it down to fit between the frame rails of the Pig. The fit was tight so moving it was nice and slow and controlled. The x-member from the K20 is a nice fit also. I will modify it, but not much.

I need to take some pictures, but it is just too cold out.

Tucker, Arron, thanks. Pics would be great of the crossmember, etc.

I think I have decided on the 5.3 with 4l60e.

I think I found a solution to the issue with the 5.3 oil pan interfering with the axle up front, I am only planning on running a 2 inch lift, everyone out there has told me that I need to run a big lift to clear the pan from the axle, I was told that a late model camaro pan will work and to get the sump and pickup with it. Just to give props to johnathan at TLC, he has been very friendly and helpful in speaking with me today.

*Update - also found out that a corvette oilpan is thinner than a camaro pan and will work nicely, Ls1 or Ls6 corvette, years 1997-2005.

I was also poking around summit racing and it seems there are several low profile options out there, so sounds like there is a solution for this. TLC did an FJ55 with a small lift and 33's and this is what I am looking for.

anyone know of the specific late model year camaro oil pan that would work with the 5.3 engine??

Noah

Last edited:
Good call on the 5.3 liter. I've driven a lot of stock trucks with the 6 and 5.3 liter, and unless you are going to tow something BIG, go with the 5.3. Much better fuel mileage, and the motor raps up real quick. I think the physical size of the motors are very close...5.3's intake should be narrower, and the deck hieght otta be a little shorter, but not a whole lot.
If I had $$ for a vortec swqp, my 55 would get the 5.3

Noah, the stock pan will clear fine, even with no lift. Just take the time to put it in right, don't hurry. The engine I am using has a 5 quart stock pan and it will clear fine. Mount the engine just a little bit more to the drivers side, but not too close, the exhaust manifolds will be close. The 5.3 comes with a sort of a header.

Again, just take the time to mount it right. Be sure that the output flange of the t-case is parrallel to the pinoin flange. Are you using a GM t-case too? If so, the off set rear is not a huge deal, but you could make a centered one from a mini truck housing and axles.

Hey Arron,

I hope the stock pan does fit ok, but it is good to know there are alternatives if I need them, so not worried about the oil pan issues anymore.

Not too worried about exhaust either, the sanderson headers website has many different variations and I would guess one of them should work.

as far as placement, I plan to put the body completely back on the truck with teh engine bay panels etc, to make sure I get it right. I will also probably have to trim the center tranny hump as well. I plan to run the 4L60e and a split transfer case with the advance adapters stuff and the man a fre rear drum ebrake kit on the split case. I think the split case will be nice and quite and they are fairly stout from what I have heard.

I will probably run a CV joint in the rear, not probably necessary but it doesn't cost too much more and I would guess would be some additional insurance in case I don't mount the TC completely paralled to the pinion flange.

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom