BFG 305/70 A/T KO Tires - Report on Fit & Performance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=13485;start=msg126895#msg126895 date=1080236874]
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong here cause I'm getting ready to do this to, but you probably want to soak the bearings in brake cleaner. From what I've heard, if you use a cleaning solvent and don't get all of it out, it could breakdown some of the new grease you put in. Maybe go solvent then brake cleaner??
[/quote]

Any automotive degreaser/cleaner will work, some better than others. I went with some of the biodegradable purple stuff you can get at your local Wall Mart. Just pop the bearings out and let them soak while you tackle some other stuff.

MoJ,

This would be the perfect time to put on some new brake rotors. You can have the old ones turned, but based on the results everyone here have shared (myself included), they almost always warp within a few thousand miles. If you have over 100K on your odometer and they have never been replaced, it's probably time to think about it. For the cheapest GOOD ones you can get OEM from C-Dan. I just swapped mine out last weekend; 2 rotors and 100 series pads were less than $195.

Well, tried out the new 285/75 BFG AT KO's last weekend! Guess what - they rub!

With stock springs I found no rubbing in the twisties; however, I was able to get all four tires to rub right at the top of the wheelwell. :doh:

I was loaded with 4 days of gear for remote camping in Baja, 2 adults (1 large, 1 med) and 3 large dogs. I found that medium depressions at 70 MPH on a dry lake bed allowed the outer 1/4" of tread to make contact with the inner 1/4" of the wheelwell.

Really surprised to find the rub marks in the front though!

Other than a stick through the inner sidewall of the left rear (less than 300 miles on the set), I love the tires! I'm waiting to see if they try to prorate my mileage for the warranty ;)

darn it!
I had decided to get some BFG ATs cuz of the 3 side plies...
So what's with that stick?
Sheesh
E

I confess, I was not on any sort of a road at the time. Had to drive over numerous manzanita to get back to the river bed (while avoiding the choya). The stick was about 3/8" in dia. just below the shoulder. Tires were at about 25 psi

In BFG's defense, it took the better part of a day to notice any pressure loss, I still swear by them. 2nd flat in 15 years on 3 sets of BFG's (1'st was sidewall failure: 48,000 miles, full load, 75 MPH, dirt road, NO loss of control and the tire managed to stay on the rim.) Funny, that was left rear also ???

Brand new tire mounted and balanced, no questions asked! The ONLY extended warranty I'll ever buy is on tires!

[quote author=MoJ link=board=2;threadid=13485;start=msg124740#msg124740 date=1079905232]

2. On-road & highway performance - No big difference that I can tell, possibly a bit more tendency for the vehicle to want to wander. Fix for this? I perceive more effort to stop when braking. Obviously the speedometer is now inaccurate and I'll be ordering Slee's correction gear (more to help with shift points than anything).

[/quote]

What do you mean to help with shift points?

Steve,

The larger tyres throw off the speedometer by about 6%. The VSC feeds information to the tranny for optimal shift points. Without the correction gear, your vehicle thinks it's going slower than actual and shifts differently.

-B-

which means then that all the monster tire addicts on this forum that claim to have 200K on their rigs actually have probably 400K??? :D
even more impressive for the cruzahs
E

Nope. Most of the monster tyre addicts have the correction gear from Christo. Puts the speedo and odo dead on if you're running 33" tyres.

-B-

Correction gear just arrived from Slee along with a print out of the direction posted on Christo's site. Looks pretty straight forward - any advice?

Jason,

Use patience with removal of the electrical connector. They can be stubborn and seem to be specifically designed to confuse you as to the logical way to disconnect them.

-B-

Less than 150 miles on these BFG AT KOs 33x10.50x15 on my 60. The stick wanted to go through the sidewall, it jumped right off the road and went through. This was prior to making it to the trail. And of course this happened right when everyone was making 235 75 15s for the Ford Exploder recall. 3 weeks to get a new tire.

B-

you say "dead on if you're running 33" tyres." about Christo's correction gear. On his website it says it only corrects 3.2%, at 60mph, speedo wil read 58.9.

Have folks experienced correction closer than what he states? Curious as I will probably get one soon.

why are you guys worrying about a 3% correction, again?
E

Byron,

My corrected speedo is dead on based on my GPS. I know speedos are accurate within a +/- percentage. Before the gear and with 33" tyres, my indicated was 75 and my actual was 80. After the gear my indicated is 75, my actual is 75 (again, this is according to my GPS.)

Tyre sizes by manufacturer and new vs used are also a factor.

-B-

Last edited:
>> why are you guys worrying about a 3% correction, again? <<

The difference was more like 6% for my truck.

The reasons for correcting are:
1. Others drive my truck and I didn't want them doing the mental math to determine their actual speed.
2. If this truck is ever sold (highly unlikely,) I will be able to sign the odometer disclosure statement with a clear consience.
3. I didn't like doing the math on LOF's and other maintenance items.
4. I prefer the adjusted tranny shift points based on accurate vehicle speed.

-B-

One of the things missing in this thread is a point of reference for height (or lift) of a stock truck. Since not all trucks are exactly alike in this respect, it might be useful for someone considering larger tires to be able to compare their truck to others who are reporting on clearance, rubbing, etc.

So... how about a few of you guys with stock trucks chime in with a few measurements - center of hub to bottom of fender flare, front and back. This would a useful reference for those planning lifts as well.

I'm a long way from stock, so I cannot be the first to contribute, but I would be very interested in seeing a few numbers myself...

Cheers, R -

from center of hub to bottom of fender flare 19.5" both front and rear, 100% stock LX suspension

another dumb tire question

Beowulf said:
Steve,

The larger tyres throw off the speedometer by about 6%. The VSC feeds information to the tranny for optimal shift points. Without the correction gear, your vehicle thinks it's going slower than actual and shifts differently.

-B-

i was reading this, and wondered how bad this is for the truck? does this mean more wear on the transmission? i can live with the odometer being off, but i dont want to hurt the truck.

If you're worried about it just order the correction gear. It's SUPER easy to instal. I imagine there's lots of folks running around without the correction gear without any problem. I ran this way for a few months with no problem.

I have bridgestone dueler AT in 285/75 and as far as I know have a stock truck(?) and my hub center to bottom of fender flare is 20" exactly and equal front/rear.
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom