Big request for 60 owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got a chance today to peer into the engine bay with the emissions control manual from Toyota. At first glance and a little vac hose tracing, it looks like I've got really hard core problems. I traced about 3-4 lines that were totally plugged into the wrong places. Systems that aren't supposed to be connected are connected - kind of looks like the PO's mechanic put it all back togehter by memory, not by the book.

So here's my request for any 60 owner who's feeling extra charitable and has a digital camera: I need some good, high-res photos of your vac lines and what they're hooked too - just the stuff on the driver's side in front of the carb - just the small line stuff (like the air injection and EGR stuff). The layout in the manual doesn't exactly match what I've got (the manual, according to Toyota, covers 80-85, but there's a few things that just don't match up from my truck to the manual. I need a real world example to look at instead of a tech manual.

Unless there's someone in Fort Worth who's willing to let me look under the hood of their 60 and have a little comparison time...

I know it's a lot to ask...but I want to make sure before I start pulling vac lines off...you know?

I've lived the nightmare. I can't sent you pictures but I can suggest you order the factory 2F emissions manual. It tells all and shows the proper way to diagnose all the vacume switches that go bad and mess up the vacume lines. Sorry I sold my manual with the 2F I removed.
devo

I love the SOR site:

048G4.gif

This picture is from this page: http://www.sor.com/sor/cat048c.tam?xax=26677

Also, buy the emissions manual (the 1981 manual is good for all FJ60s).

Good luck!

I've got the 2F emissions manual - that's how I've found what's wrong thus far - but the manual isn't exactly clear. That's why I'm wanting photos to look at.

But the SOR site might be just the ticket - it's a lot more clear than the emissions manual...

I have a very stock 2F - I'll try to get some useable pics in the AM.

Mike S

Here's another... when you're talking about fj60 emissions, you can't have too much information. BTW, your engine bay diagram should be the most accurate, provided it's still legible. I've gone through the same ordeal where i've found misrouted vacuum lines and other foul-ups left by the dealership. I've since checked each system for routing and functionality and replaced all the vaccum lines in the process. Truly a relief when corrected. Make sure that all the VTV and vacuum check valves are in their proper orientation, too.

The upper right shows the vacuum lines to the carb on the valve cover side.

0900823d80189084.gif

Check your email. I am not sure if the pic attached will help, you will probably need a lot more angles.

It is a pain, but it comes more and more clear as I look at it.

What started it all was failing the smog test - and I've gone through just about everything...it all keeps coming back to the air injection system...and while I was looking all of the lines over, I noticed one free line...no idea where it goes, can't figure it out from the book...then I start tracing lines that I can find (process of elimination) and it's so out of whack, I was wondering how the truck ran at all...

One thing that I found - a big one - was that my ABV, which is part of the AI system, was hooked to the vac switch, which is part of the Decel Fuel Cut system...and the VSV that it was supposed to be hooked to was broken...

That was just taking 5 minutes to look under the hood before a run to the store...

One question though: it doesn't look like it in the manual, but does anyone know if any of the systems are connected at all? (like the AI being connected - by vac - to a component of the EGR system) or do they run independently (other than a connection to the computer)? - if that makes sense...

I agree with pismojim about needing patience for this job. There's a quote from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" referencing instructions that came with a bicycle: 'Assembly of a Japanese bicycle takes peace of mind'. Find that peaceful place and take your time. I also recommend taking the time to label the hoses, so when you take things apart, it goes back together much easier. I used some cloth/adhesive wire labels that I got at the hardware store. There is usually a single letter or digit port number associated with each of the vacuum devices.

[quote author=2mbb link=board=1;threadid=13445;start=msg124667#msg124667 date=1079884177]
There's a quote from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" referencing ...[/quote]

Interesting, I've always thought that Phaedrus could have just as easily taken that trip with his son in a Land Cruiser.

[quote author=swank60 link=board=1;threadid=13445;start=msg124665#msg124665 date=1079883501]...does anyone know if any of the systems are connected at all? (like the AI being connected - by vac - to a component of the EGR system) or do they run independently (other than a connection to the computer)? - if that makes sense...[/quote]

EGR and Spark Control for example are connected since they both deal with timing. They share the upper BVSV on the thermostat housing as well as the main diaphragm of the vacuum advance.
But AI and EGR are separate systems. You may be confusing the VSV's? AI uses 2 VSV's while EGR uses 1 and they're located in the same area.

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=13445;start=msg124496#msg124496 date=1079839753]
I have a very stock 2F - I'll try to get some useable pics in the AM.

Mike S
[/quote]

Great pictures, but I am having software problems and can't download. Sorry.

Mike S

In Guatemala (of all places) I noticed a mechanic using fingernail polish to mark vacuum lines before he took apart a motor. I think it was a hyundai van or something, but the principal is the same. Raid your woman's fingernail polish for a dozen bottles (or hit the grocery store) and dab a generous amount of various colors on the lines/connection points while they are still connected.
Of course, this doesn't really help you figure out where they go now, but should help once you've finally figured it out.
Best of luck!

This may not be much help, but here you go. I can email you direct with a full res. pic. if needed.
Engine02.jpg

2F Vacuum Lines

I took 24 8x10s of the smog lines in my 84 FJ60 before taking it to the 4x4 shop to have the engine swapped into my 83. You're welcome to borrow them.

Didn't read the other responses, but I also have the factory shop manuals if you want copies of the smog section.

Email me back or call me at work, 6:30AM-5:00PM, M-F 303 688-0675.

Steve Meyer
Larkspur, CO

GOOD LUCK!

mine is desmoggd and i will probably leave it that way and drive it around illegally until i get back down to texas. then i'll just drive it with illinois plates down there until i get another DD.

i just can't see me having the patience or time otherwise. i'll just take my chances.

82 fj40 same as 81-87 40/60, all OEM smog correctly hooked up(even working), fj60 carb(same as 40 but AC idle up), but the AC idle up is wired for a elec hand throttle)

54859608.jpg

54859614.jpg

54859633.jpg

54859648.jpg

61764172.jpg

61764175.jpg

61764179.jpg

61764183.jpg

61764189.jpg

Thank God for SBC! :flipoff2:

The motor swap seemed easier to me than trying to figure out what I was missing. Good luck, you are a better man than I just for trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom