O2 sensor question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im in the parts ordering process of redoing my exhaust, my last trip to Crozet crushed the outboard pipe so time is of the essence. My biggest concern at this point is how to use the stock 02 sensors with a slightly larger downpipe (im thinking 2 1/4 but not sure). My thought is that i may be able to find a toyota sensor that uses a traditional threaded bung to attach to the downpipe rather than the flange and plate dealy that it stock. Does anyone know if i can subsitute another style sensor that would function the same?

And since im asking, for those that have redone their exhaust, what size downpipe did you use? How do you like it?

-Matt

i would like to know more from spectators as well b/c i'm going to be in the process of redoing my exhaust soon (when $$ prevails), and I would like to know

Any decent exaust shop should have weld in bungs to use. They will cut a hole, and weld this 2" square piece in that has threads that will accept the stock o2 sensors. If the shop doesn't know what you are talking about, I would move on to another shop.

I used 2.5" to the muffler, then 2.75 from there back.

I also got rid of the cross over pipe, and made the pipes come together up beside the engine. The o2 sensors are in the same pipe now.

If I were doing it over again I'd go to 2.75 up by the engine bay and use the same all the way back.

I've driven 62's that were similar set up to what I have now, but with the cross over pipe still in place. It felt like less torque than my truck, but more HP. Just a seat of the pants assessment, but that's how it felt.

I can get you some pictures of my exhaust set up if you like. Just let me know.

Im not having a shop do this, i will be doing it myself with ubends and such. I may do the downpipes and collector and let a shop bend up a tailpipe but i havent decided yet. So, i should be able to go to an exhaust shop with a sensor and get a bung that will accept it that i can weld in?

Euclid, what did you do for the flanges at the manifold? I was planning on cutting the old downpipes off the existing flange and welding the new tubing to that. I suppose a couple pics of your setup would be great.

-Matt

I left the original exhaust down to about 2' - 3' down from the exhaust manifold.

The first exhaust shop that I went to didn't have the bungs that I needed. The one that ended up doing the work had to order them because they are metric. They had them that afternoon, so I assume a local parts house had them on the shelf.

Cool, thanks for the help. What did you do for the collector that joins the two pipes? I found one for muscle car applications but it runs 40 dollars and id like to keep this very cheap. Ive debated asking a muffler shop to make one to my specs.

-Matt

Muffler shop made it, along with the whole system.

Around $500 including the muffler and flex pipe IIRC. It's been a few years since I did it.

Photo's I promised, a little bit late.

This one shows the two pipes comeing together up next to the engine, and one of the 2 O2 sensors in their new location.
Photo001.JPG

New location of both of the o2 sensors is visible. I measured from the exhaust flange down, then put the 2 o2 sensors the same distance (as stock) from the exhaust flange. Careful, the rear one can get in the way of the shifter mechanisms.
IMG_0083.JPG

No pipey hangy downey: no rockey pinchey pipey.
IMG_0089.JPG

Trying to get some ideas to do the same thing on my 62, but I'm still wanting to keep the O2 sensors linked to their respective cylinders. I'm hoping an exhaust shop back home can do up a good setup for me that'll acheive that (and maybe figure out a way to fab up some larger downpipes) and eliminate the flanges in favor of the European ball and socket type connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom