Builds ROTW Alkaline747Trio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the youngest yet to post a ROTW, please excuse any half-assed/cheap-o/plain horrible mods that I may have done.

Summer 2005:
After shopping around and lurking this forum for a while I found my baby. A little rougher than I would have liked, and a little more expensive than I was hoping; but I found it and will never look back.

1992 FJ80
160k on the ticker
Damage Multiplier
Ground Clearance Killers
Rust Breeding Ground

dscn0732tu5.jpg

Then came the repairs and PM:

The first issue was the alternator, it had been replaced before with a crappy advance model, so I figured I'd just toss another back in there ;)

Then came a electrical gremlin, which prooved to be the aftermarket trailer wiring harness poorly spliced in by one of the previous owners. Chopped it out and got everything back to stock.

Then the birfs started to click, so I scammed my mechanic into doing the whole shebang for $200 after finding out how great CDan is on prices by buying the rebuild kit from him and the wonderful DVD from elmariachi (sp?).

Then the worst repair, replacing the radiator top tank..took about 3.5 hours to get it out, and another 2.5 to get in back in. Here's what she looked like at the halfway point.

dscn1128je5.jpg

On to the mods:

First mod was the add some tires and get rid of some of the low-hanging crap that was getting bent and mangled by the wonderful trails at Uwharrie National Forrest.

The tires:

285/75r16 BFG ATs, about 45% tread left got 'em from a buddy for $40!!
dscn1173ap3.jpg

The rims:

US Wheel Modular 94s in 16x8 flavor, future proofing (FF rear axle) and the deal on the tires made me go the 16" rim route
dscn1179lv2.jpg

Mounted:

I think taking the "crap" off and adding the new meats beefed things up a little
dscn1195pz4.jpg

dscn1194wc0.jpg

More Mods:

After getting the new meats on and dealing with the radiator, I started to worry about the engine running hot. Toyota knew this before hand and added a carb cooling fan that comes on after engine shutdown if things are already hot enough. I wanted a little more control over this so I spliced in a switch to the system so I could run the fan whenever I wanted.

dscn1212in6.jpg

dashswitchzi4.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta get high:

After rolling around with the stock suspension long enough, and getting hung up on stuff and being limited on the trails/lines I could take, I decided to lift the beast.

Went with OME 863Js in the rear, Slee 4" springs in the front, and L shocks all around. Made custom rear sway and rear bumpstop extensions. Bought the front puck extensions. Got all the SS brakelines. Extended my diff. breathers. And eventually got some second hand Gen. 2 Slee front control arms from Waggoner5.

liftedrf7.jpg

lifted1yd7.jpg

lifted2ab5.jpg

dscn1724pu0.jpg

dscn1725nx8.jpg

Last edited:
Heat still plagued me:

Even with the carb fan at my finger tips, I still "felt" as if I was running too hot. Decided to give the hood spacers that had been talked about a try. Guess what, THEY WORK! No smell or extra heat in the cab (a little more warmth at stoplights w/ windows down). 1" steel spacer + 1/2" nylon spacer w/ washers and 2" longer bolts all from Lowes.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2264755780097644883LflmQi
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2724491650097644883YDzQsO
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2619955010097644883kEaTGb

Go big or go home:

33's were a great improvement over stock, but still left a lot to be desired. DanKunz cut me a great deal on some 50% 35x12.50r16 Super Swamper Radial TSLs. They grip great and with BBs in the tires, they are always balanced and as smooth as a TSL can be.

dscn1569pu7.jpg

dscn1571ho8.jpg

Just throw it in the back:

After wheeling for a while, you start to realize how bad things slide and roll around; I decided to solve this and give me a nice level place to sleep by making a drawer box. 1/2" plywood, bunch of staples and glue, some chair slides, and a little bit of pretty rope later and I had this.

dscn1563qz1.jpg

dscn1564bs4.jpg

Last edited:
Street kicks and getting skinny:

TSLs are great, and for an extremely knobby tire they are very smooth, but not LC smooth and not very snow/ice friendly, and Blacksburg Va has plenty of those (yup yup yup, finally got in!!!). So the pops splurged on me and got 4 brand spankin new 33x12.50r15 BFG ATs for a good price mounted and balanced.

dscn1719im2.jpg

Along with the new rubber for the road, I decided to take off some plastic to be replace with rubber. Fares and rear bumperettes are off for a Reflex lining that will hopefully be done on Thursday and one day some steel tubing bumperettes/quarter protection to be added.

dscn1720av0.jpg

dscn1721jl3.jpg

dscn1722uj8.jpg

As she sits in the driveway right now.
dscn1726rc6.jpg

Future plans:
38.5x11r16 Boggers
2" Bodylift
SROR Sliders
FOR/New Slee style front bumper
Interior Reflex lining
Custum Aluminum Roof rack (already made, but for a 60...brackets are just waiting to be redrilled for my 80's gutters)
IPOR skid OR Drivetrain lift/flat belly skid
Aussie Rear Locker in FF rear axle
Retro-fitted front E-locker
3-link'd front end
12-14" Bilstein/Procomp shocks all around

Last edited:
man that thing is going to look sweet with an ARB. Future plans? Oh yeah, I haven't forgotten about the drawers I want u to make, just waiting for the holidays to be over...

Thanks for the quick post up. I am curious on the BB's in teh tires. I bet that makes some noise on the highway.

I am curious on the BB's in teh tires. I bet that makes some noise on the highway.[/QUOTE said:
Thats exactly what I was thinkin, well do they?

cc93, I'm starting to lean towords the FOR or new Slee bumper, or a custom knock off of both of those. I think I fell further into the rock-crawling/hardcore scene than expedition, I hope it ends up being a good thing.

The bbs are completely unnoticable after 30mph, no noise or anything. The only time I hear noise in the cab is slowing at a stop sign/light and get under 5mph. People outside the vehicle can hear them when I accelerate, but I cannot.

Bear, they look like the SSR but don't say SSR on them, they say Super Swamper Radial TSL. They are a true 35x12.50r16, not a 315.

They are old Swampers, came out before the SSR was released but has the siping. I am thinking the guy I got them from siped them for more road grip in the wet.

Logan, looking good! Looking forward to wheeling with you again :)

Great Job!

Great write up and good job on the mods. You've done well and should be proud of your ride. :cheers:

Nice rig, good write-up! What a proud pop you must be. By the way, normally not into these, but the wheels look great on your rig. And your placeholders are keeping me in suspense!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom