power steering pulley questions Please help ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
doing the mini truck power steering conversion on my 40 today, i got the brackets from bill dorry, (thanks bill). anywho i got the gear box mounted no problem, i got the bracket for the power steering pump mounted no problem. however i have a 1977 california fj which has to have a smog pump and also has the wide pulleys on it. the saginaw or chevy power steering pump has the skinney pulleys.
Does anyone know where or who i can get the wide pulley from or part number for this from pep boys,kragen,napa ?

i would also like to know if anyone has a part number for the belt they are using ? that goes around the crank to the power steering pump then the smog pump.

i am thinking about taking my power steering pump and switching it for a reman from napa also, any info as to what pump or year to get ?

any info would greatly help,

thanks in advance, and i need a few of these ,, :beer: :beer:

long day ..

From my notes when I did the mini-truck powersteering conversion:

"Early 80's Volvo wide pulley for the sagnaw pump from junk yard"

Lance at Iron Pig Off Road has new pulleys, he's in the vendor section.

Contact Bill.. he has always supplied the part#s for the pulley and bushing that are available from a local bearing supply store...

Remanufactured Saginaw Pump from NAPA

I have been running the mini truck conversion for four years. The NAPA part number for the Saginaw pump used is NSP-206800 (1976 2wd chevy pick up). I paid $55.00 at the time.

Good luck.

Bill who. how to contact?

wdorry@yahoo.com

Bill is great to work with and has the all the brackets to do the conversion .. ;)

thanks everyone for the info so far, im getting ready to go finish the power steering conversion, just trying to get my back to move.. :eek:
ouch ,,

cheers ... :cheers:

Lance said the IPOR pulley will required some modification unless with

I am not sure how much modification.

Where are you going to get the pulley?

Can you post of info / pics of install and things you found out, like PNs? I know that ROMER has a thread, but I have been having problems finding hte pulley.

Thanks

Classic Cruisers has a hub that lets you mount a Toyota water pump pulley on a Saginaw pump that uses a press on hub.

Does anyone know where or who i can get the wide pulley from or part number for this from pep boys,kragen,napa ?

i would also like to know if anyone has a part number for the belt they are using ? that goes around the crank to the power steering pump then the smog pump.

The pulley......like the previous post, early-mid 80's Volvo 240DL

Belt? I use the same Toyota OEM belt as for the alternator, pump sits up just fine....with Bill Dorry's pump mount, anyway.

GL

Ed

after searching all day at all the auto parts stores, no luck with finding the power steering pump pulley. i did e-mail biil and he advised i should call ladis at martins. 1-908-558-1600.

Pulley number 1-B-50-SDS
and Bushing SDS- 3/4
for the saginaw pump..

kinda disapointed, i wanted to get this conversion done, however i will order those parts tomarrow and wait to get the project done.

anywho for those asking for part numbers for the pump, there ya go...

good luck with yours and make sure ya got lots of time to get those
:censor: rivets out of the frame .... :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor:

Cheers ... :beer: :beer:

Last edited:
Pulley

The pulley I used and a few others is a machine pulley
and it is a little smaller in diameter so the RPM on
the pump increases a little.These are Martin,s #
,Martin is the Mfg.
Pulley- 1-B-50-SDS
Bushing- SDS 3/4
You can order them from Orion Mfg (ask for Ladis at
908-558-1600) if you can't find them local.Someone on
MUD crossed the #'s to Graingers# I think this is
them. GRAINGER
Pulley: PN 3x586 $30
Bushing: PN 3x573 $6
HTH Bill

The pulley I used and a few others is a machine pulley
and it is a little smaller in diameter so the RPM on
the pump increases a little.These are Martin,s #
,Martin is the Mfg.
Pulley- 1-B-50-SDS
Bushing- SDS 3/4
You can order them from Orion Mfg (ask for Ladis at
908-558-1600) if you can't find them local.Someone on
MUD crossed the #'s to Graingers# I think this is
them. GRAINGER
Pulley: PN 3x586 $30
Bushing: PN 3x573 $6
HTH Bill

Thanks!

Hi All:

I have been running a Saginaw PS pump (and gearbox) with a 2F for the last few years. I use a narrow belt - it works just fine (tension is where its at!) Just slap-on a belt that is the correct diameter and go!

Good luck with your rig!

Alan

Alan, I did same...narrow belt... and it squeals some on start up and when turning steering wheel near lock. So I tightened it and it got some better. If I go tighter can I screw up the bearing in the pump?

My experience in going to a wide belt with the Dorry setup. Bill recommends a #206823 pump. Rockauto has rebuilt Cardones and is reasonable. A 206800 also works fine.

Pick a bushing, then a sheave (pulley), and then the belt.

Bushing - make sure that your Saginaw pump is a 3/4" shaft

SH 3/4" BORE QD BUSHINGS
-----

Sheave/pulley: come in different sizes, pick your poison

Mfgrs # Bushing Contact Path in. Outside Diameter in. Order # Price Ea.
1B36SH SH 3.6 3.950 35436302 21.76
1B38SH SH 3.8 4.150 35436310 23.78
1B40SH SH 4.0 4.350 35436328 24.06
1B42SH SH 4.2 4.550 35436336 25.48
1B44SH SH 4.4 4.750 35436344 26.25
------

The belt I'm using is:

Gates TR22625 (replaces 973)
Truck & Bus Series
11/16" x [63-1/8" his particular length]
17mm x 1605mm (measure for yourself with a rope around pulleys)
Green Stripe II
Also known as 22 series belts

Great timing as I am gathering parts now for this conversion. I have everything except the pump/pulley (which I can figure out from the above info) and the plates for the gear box.

Who is selling the plates?

Great timing as I am gathering parts now for this conversion. I have everything except the pump/pulley (which I can figure out from the above info) and the plates for the gear box.

Who is selling the plates?

Plates... I think you mean brackets. Bill Dorry has a decent setup. He sells a bracket for the steering pump and a bracket for the steering box. His email is shown in a previous post above.

F Y I

CALLED ORION OR LADIS TODAY AT MARTINS PER BILL ...

THE PULLEY IS $42.28
AND THE BUSHING IS $16.53

ALL PLUS SHIPPING ...

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO KNOW ...

CHEERS .... :beer:

Last edited:
WOW , I NEED TO GIVE PROPS TO BUSINESSES WHEN PROPS ARE DUE ...

I CALLED MARTINS ON MONDAY FOR THE POWER STEERING PUMP PULLEY, SPOKE TO LADIS, HE SAID HE WOULD SHIP IT TUESDAY OR WEDNESDAY. WELL HE WAS IN NEW JERSEY AND IM IN CALI, SO HE SAID I WOULD NOT GET IT FOR ABOUT 5 DAYS AFTER SHIPPED.. :crybaby:
MY CRUISER IN TORN APART IN THE GARAGE. SO I WAS NOT HAPPY BUT WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ?

ANYWAY I WENT HOME TUESDAY EVE KNOWING THAT I COULDN'T WORK ON THE TOY, AND TO MY AMAZEMENT THE UPS GOD'S DELIVERED MY PULLEY, I THOUGHT WHAT THE HECK DID ORION DO,
FLY IT OUT HERE ? WELL TURN'S OUT THEY HAVE A DISTRIBUTOR HERE ON THE WEST COAST IN CALI..

I MUST SAY A BIG THANK YOU TO ORION AND THATS WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ALL ABOUT ... :cheers:

THANK YOU !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom