1990 LJ78 Wabasto install and second battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
so as promised her eis a brief write up on how i installed my wabasto into my wifes LJ78.

first to find a place for both the wabasto and the second battery. not a hard choice since there was only one obvious location in my mind. I had to move some relays up onto the side of the fender to give me the needed room

I also wanted to vent the exhaust from the heater through the fender and into the open air. there is a lot of heat generated.
Wabasto install LJ78 001.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 002.jpg

Next i needed a bracket to keep the wabasto secure and yet clear the wiring against the firewall and to keep the unit up off the fender.

you have to allow for the fuel line to run under the unit to make sure there is no air trapped in the diesel fuel line. make sure the electric fuel pump is facing the right direction. i also wrapped the plastic fuel line in a sheath to help protect it against abrashions.

a test fit of the wabasto location.
Wabasto install LJ78 003.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 004.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 005.jpg

another test fit of the bracket to make sure it clears any obstacles. the unit was removed and placed a number of times to make sure everything was going to fit.

the hoes were another concern. you need to make sure the in and out coincides with the heater cooling flow. also in this instance i was installing a battery so the hoses had to clear the battery mount and the battery itself.

showing how the wabasto exhaust looks from under the fender.
Wabasto install LJ78 006.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 009.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 011.jpg

this shows how all the relays fit comfortably into the fender recesses.

making sure the tray will be able to be mounted secure and yet clear the hoses and wiring.

since the fuel line will need to be routed under the wabasto it is important that it isn't going to rub on any existing steel lines. it will be almost impossible to feed under the wabasto unit so feed it around the wires before mounting the unit firmly.
Wabasto install LJ78 012.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 013.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 014.jpg

the unit installed and bolted down. nice tight fit but with the clearence needed to clear the existing wiring, fuel line and exhaust exiting down through the fender.

remove the glove box liner by undoing the screws and lifting it arund the glove box door support. this will give you easy access to thread the wire to the main control inside the cab. i located the main control panel under the ashtray for a clean (in my eyes) look. threading the 3 wires through the firewall can be done in many different ways. i fished my through the existing wire loom hole, i cut off the nib right beside the loom gromment and that part is now done.
Wabasto install LJ78 015.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 016.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 017.jpg

routing the hoses roperly took a few trys to clear everything that was in the way and at the same time keeping the connections to a minimum. i ended up having to pick up an assorted hoses with 90 degree bends in them from Napa.
i finally found one that fit nicely around the fuel line and clearing a full size battery. a 90 at the engine end feeding another 90 a the wabasto hot line and that was done. a regular 5/8ths hose 18" long made the connection for the cold water in line under the battery plate to the wabasto.

the first battery i bought was too tall...tight fit, eh?
Wabasto install LJ78 019.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 020.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 024.jpg

the firs tbattery was just too big and an UGLY fit.

i finally decided on a regular auto battery so i can boost the other one if ever there was a need. i also went with a side post configuration to give the install a clean look and to give it the most clearence.

the new battery almost sits level with the original...
Wabasto install LJ78 025.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 026.jpg
Wabasto install LJ78 027.jpg

done.

looks much cleaner.

it works great and sounds like a jet plane taking off...

cheers and thanks for following along...
Wabasto install LJ78 028.jpg

Great job....finding a location to install my espar in a BJ74 was a bit of a challenge as well, I ended up moving the squirt reservoir 12 inchs lower and then extending the filler hose.I already used up space for a arb compressor and a solar inverter.
Did you wire the heater so that the cab blower goes on once it heats up?What about the water circulation, can the water circulate if the cab heater control is in off position? I was wondering if the espar would over heat if it didn't have sufficient circulation, or would it just shut off.I guess if you're not using the heater to heat the cab it doesn't matter because you run the coolant through the the block only.Anyway, your installation job looks good, it took me 3 days to get it right.

i took me a full day of test fitting and mounting.
the heater control needs to be on full hot for this setup to work properly and the hot air filters out the defrost vents.
i never bothered to wire the fan to the wabasto since i didn't want the battery to drain should the wife fire it up and then leave it run for 2 hours because she changed her mind...

the location looked like it should have had the heater and second battery mounted. in the end i am happy with the install.

cheers and thanks for the compliment.

LOL!!
the cost is undetermined cause i used a used Wabasto but if you take a new pricing into account then:
$1500 Wabasto Kit (ball park)
$20 for hoses
$25 for battery tray
$20 odd ball parts
$105 second battery
$600 labour (my shop rate)(other shops in the city charge $100 per hour)
$10 anti freeze (although this is a perfect time to install that lower rad hose heater and do the water pump and thermostate. if you do this then add another $30 for antifreeze)

that is about it.

who benefits more? well, i do in the end. if the truck won't start when she is at work then i have to driv eup and get it running and in minus 30 degree weather i would rather just work in the garage. the engine will like it and the wife will like it.

so i gave it a nice try this morning (even though it isn't cold at all). it fired up perfect and in 20 minutes the upper rad hose was warm and the defrost was blowing warm...
excellent...
now to find the remote activators...

Hi, my name is Alex and I'm from Moscow Russia. I have exactly the same car (LJ78 right handed, 2LTE 93'). In standart it comes with 2 batteries. I have use a space to install heater removing headlamp cleaner water tank near front battery.

But the question to you - how do you solve problem with diesel geling - I saw you haven't got standard fuel heater on the fuel manual pump

Hi, my name is Alex and I'm from Moscow Russia. I have exactly the same car (LJ78 right handed, 2LTE 93'). In standart it comes with 2 batteries. I have use a space to install heater removing headlamp cleaner water tank near front battery.

But the question to you - how do you solve problem with diesel geling - I saw you haven't got standard fuel heater on the fuel manual pump

hummm, i never have had a problem to date... i run quality fuel that is used constantly at big rig shops...

there is some concern qith someon this forum though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom