4x4Labs Bumper day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went up to Luke Porters shop on Saturday so he could test fit the first round of parts he'd made for my new rear bumper. For those of you that know Lukes work, you know that he does killer fab work. Basically, this new 100 bumper will look just like his 80 bumpers and will offer the same made to suit options (ladder, tyre carrier, jerry can etc)...just made for a bigger arse end:)

He had done full sized paper patterns that the laser cutter used as a template...since this was the first set, there were a few tweaks to be made but everything fit pretty nicely.

Since I needed the truck during the week, I'm heading back up next weekend for welding and finish work before it goes to the Powdercoaters. I can't wait to get this done:D
100.jpg
100rear.jpg

While I was at it, I'd been wanting to paint my TJM T3 to match my factory trim & my Slee sliders. I removed the bumper and stripped it down...lights, plastic trims and those crappy rubber things wrapped around the "push bar" (that are clearly designed only to catch rocks on your very first approach and get ripped to shreads:rolleyes: )

Since I didn't want to replace those crappy rubber things (that are now of course ripped to shreads) and that "push bar" would buckle at anything heavier than a shopping cart, I decided to s***-can the whole thing and just use the main shell with a set of fog's mounted where the push bar bolts once resided. Here's the before pic
PICT0011.jpg

And here is after I stripped it...prepping it for paint
bumperday2.jpg

And after 6 coats of paint.....it's drying in my garage now waiting for reassembly. Should look cool...the rear bumper and the wheels are getting this color too
bumperday7.jpg

Nice, Brett! I had been waiting for pics of the new bumper! Last I spoke to Luke, he was doing it purely as a bolt-on, so no cutting of the rear crossmember like on the 80 bumper. Is that still the case (seems to be so from the pics)?

Both bumpers look sweet! Damn, now I need to play catch-up... :cheers:

Hijack- Did he mention if he's going forward with the idea to sell the pieces of the 80 series rear bumper so those that want to can weld and grind themselves and save a few $$$?

dieselbigot, can you snap a picture of the inside of your TJM front bumper? I'm just curious how much reinforcement, if any, would be needed to add recovery points to it.

Can't wait to see how the 4x4labs bumper turns out. It's been over a year since first talked about.

Last edited:
will offer the same made to suit options (ladder, tyre carrier, jerry can etc)...just made for a bigger arse end:)

Look good!

Is the spare tire carrier going to be in the center or offset to allow some space for jerry cans? If offset, will the 100's brake rear lights be somewhat blocked?

Regards,

Shaweet...like others I can't wait to see the final pics!:popcorn:

I spent a little time in the garage tonight getting the trim back on and installing the new fog lights....I didn't have time to mount it, that will be tomorrow night. I like the look much better without the chrome...you know what they say about it not getting you home:)
PICT0001.jpg

Nice, Brett! I had been waiting for pics of the new bumper! Last I spoke to Luke, he was doing it purely as a bolt-on, so no cutting of the rear crossmember like on the 80 bumper. Is that still the case (seems to be so from the pics)?

Derek,

To be honest, I'm not sure what he plans for the "production" model...mines a prototype...and he did cut my cross member off

Hijack- Did he mention if he's going forward with the idea to sell the pieces of the 80 series rear bumper so those that want to can weld and grind themselves and save a few $$$?

T...Yep..there will be a kit form for you thrifty/handy types. And Jay, as far as the optiions go, it will be the exact same pieces as for the 80 bumpers...and it may block the tail lights a touch, but not much, we'll have to wait and see

Those photos were taken from Luke's 4x4lab's web site.

The upper photo showed that BJ-70 is a tubeless version.

The lower photo show that the tube is welded to the upper side edge for extra stiffness on 80 series so same goes for the 100 series's?

Regards,

Last edited:
looks great Brett! Celine would approve :D

The front bumper looks great w/o all the stuck on stuff. Nice work!

Those photos were taken from Luke's 4x4lab's web site.

The upper photo showed that BJ-70 is a tubeless version.

The lower photo show that the tube is welded to the upper side edge for extra stiffness on 80 series so same goes for the 100 series's?

Regards,

The 100s bumper will be just like the 80, including the tube finnish on the sides

If the swing out carrier covers the part of the tail lights, will Luke be doing something like this?
80wlights2.sized.jpg

If the swing out carrier covers the part of the tail lights, will Luke be doing something like this?

Hoser -

Is that a Photoshop? I don't have those lights on my 4x4 Labs bumper on the 80, and it was his first "production" bumper for the 80. Would be nice, though I'd prefer a flat flush lens.

Thanks,

This is exaxctly what the 100 bumper will look like including the swingouts....minus the disco lights:) I don't see it interfering with the tail lights

Is that a Photoshop? I don't have those lights on my 4x4 Labs bumper on the 80, and it was his first "production" bumper for the 80. Would be nice, though I'd prefer a flat flush lens.
Luke showed me these pics when I inquired about his bumper awhile back. I haven't seen these lights on any other of his bumpers though. Probably a customer's special request. I'm sure you can find/use flush LED lights we often see on delivery trucks and such.

Blocking the 100 inner tail lights probably isn't a big concern with the exception of the reverse light(s) which will be partially obstructed on LC's and fully obstructed on some LX's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom