Shakes @ 65 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well how do I start.

Repacked all bearings, new shocks (OE), new brakes. Plus new Bridgestone Dueller Alenza Tires. These are the second set! First ones shook at 65-70mph right up thru the steering wheel, rebalance and rotated twice with no success. The guys at the tire store have been very good sports. Took them back and exchanged them. Today new set on..... shakes. Now they have been balance with a standard unit...name slips me at the moment. But I watch the tech and the readings were all 000 when he finished all tires.I have checked to see if there is any play in the wheels...as in loose bearings and there is none. I hear no rubs, squeeks or odd noises. Tire size 275/70HR16.

The last pair of tires were Dunlops A20 with only 10k on them and are now on the 95LC. I think they were rated softer. They were very smooth riding and never had "The Shakes" still do not. They did slide in the rain at highway speeds, thats why I decided to be proactive and get the new treads.

So I ask you all. What am I missing? :confused::eek:
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited:
I'd try a road-force balance and also check for worn bushings in the suspension. I know my Discount Tire that did my BFs had a road-force machine.

Damn, don't tell me that. I am (as I type) taking a break from a complete front end job. I am replacing all the bearings and races and repacking. I too have tried the rebalance thing. Both sets of my tires do it....the Bridgestone stockers and the Nittos. Both balance well.

I figured it was the bearings.

s***, that will have been a lot of trouble if it still does it tomorrow.

Road-force balancer? I remember someone else mentioning that.........do the tire guys know what that is if I call and ask them if they have one?

wngrog, this link will tell you where you can find the nearest Road Force machine. Make sure you specify they use it in case they have two balancers and the other one isn't a GSP9700.

Well how do I start.

Repacked all bearings, new shocks (OE), new brakes. Plus new Bridgestone Dueller Alenza Tires. These are the second set! First ones shook at 65-70mph right up thru the steering wheel, rebalance and rotated twice with no success. The guys at the tire store have been very good sports. Took them back and exchanged them. Today new set on..... shakes. Now they have been balance with a standard unit...name slips me at the moment. But I watch the tech and the readings were all 000 when he finished all tires.I have checked to see if there is any play in the wheels...as in loose bearings and there is none. I hear no rubs, squeeks or odd noises. Tire size 275/70HR16.

The last pair of tires were Dunlops A20 with only 10k on them and are now on the 95LC. I think they were rated softer. They were very smooth riding and never had "The Shakes" still do not. They did slide in the rain at highway speeds, thats why I decided to be proactive and get the new treads.

So I ask you all. What am I missing? :confused::eek:
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Bad tires, take them back and get a good set of BFG AT/KO's or a set of Michelin AT's. or a set of REVO's. I would not spend my time trying to make a crappy tire run smooth, dealer should be happy to take them back.

Thanks Hoser, my buddys company is on that link.

Explain to me why this machine is so much better than others?
The short answer is this machine balances the tire with a load (via roller) simulating driving on a smooth road rather just spinning in free air. The longer answer is here or if really interested, watch the 20 min video.

Bad tires, take them back and get a good set of BFG AT/KO's or a set of Michelin AT's. or a set of REVO's. I would not spend my time trying to make a crappy tire run smooth, dealer should be happy to take them back.

I am unsure whether or not it is the tire. Mine does it with the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the Bridgestone stockers. That is why I did the bearing job today.

I am going to pick up parts tomorrow at Toyota to finish the job, but I will let you guys know if the balance (with the right machine) and the bearing job does the trick.

Well, the Dunlops did not shake, now these do. Even the second set! Don't waste your time RoadForce balancing. Ask the tire store to install another set of tires of a different brand to isolate the vibration to the tires. If it fixes the shake, ask for a upgrade to Revo's or Goodyear Silent Armours.

Does the tire shop know about the wheel-centric vs. hub-centric issue w/ Toyotas?

Jim Chow

Please explain your question.

I am unsure whether or not it is the tire. Mine does it with the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the Bridgestone stockers. That is why I did the bearing job today.

I am going to pick up parts tomorrow at Toyota to finish the job, but I will let you guys know if the balance (with the right machine) and the bearing job does the trick.

I guess I'm assuming it's the tires since he states that it is not a problem with his old Dunlops. Only new variable is the new tires.

Does the tire shop know about the wheel-centric vs. hub-centric issue w/ Toyotas?

Jim why would this be an issure if he is using the same wheels and lug nuts? The only thing that has changed are the tires. The tires are the problem. You can try to super balance them but you know the old saying garbage in garbage out. Get some good tires.

Most if not all OEM Toyota wheels should be balanced using a Haweka adapter (rather than using the cone retainer that goes through the center bore) to mount the wheel to the balancing machine. I posted additional info here.

I'm not 100% sure whether they are lug or hub centric but this topic has come up before with no definitive answer.

There is a Toyota TSB (SU002-96) Wheel Balance Adapter Kit

"9/2/1996 - All Toyota Models. To improve the accuracy of Dynamic Off–Car wheel balancing on all OEM Toyota five and six lug wheels, a precision wheel adapter kit must be used. For the greatest accuracy and repeatability, Toyota recommends using the Haweka adapter kit available through the Toyota Approved Dealer Equipment catalog. The kit consists of a precision ground centering cone for truck alloy wheels and a flange plate."

The Haweka Adapter is listed as one of Toyota's Special Service Tools.

The Haweka adapter has 5-6 finger thingies that mount the wheel to the balance machine via the lugs and without the use of the center bore. If Toyota is saying to balance their wheels using the Haweka Adapter, aren't they saying to balance the wheels on the lugs? Lugcentric?

FlangePlateHandPhoto.jpg

Here's one guys story on balancing the wheels on his 4Runner.
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vibration.htm#Balance / Haweka Adapter:

Great post hoser. :cheers:

251-801-409.gif
Part: 251-801-409 5 Lug Flange Plate - For domestic and foreign 5 lug steel and alloy wheels and Ford F150 ('97-) and Toyota Landcruiser (9:cool:.

Looks lug centric to me. A bad shock can also result in vibration and should be considered a possibility at 95k. Although the fact that the previous tires had no issues and these do points to the tires or the balance as the source of the problem.

Last edited:
Shocks are new. I replaced while the first set was on the truck. Brakes new, bearings have been repacked.

Friday I go to the local Toyota dealer which has the Hunter. $94.00 to rebalance all tires and road test. I will update with results.

For information I do alot of intown highway driving here in Cleveland. Very little if any off road. Well some may say our roads may seem like off roading. That is the reason for the tire choice. Tirerack rates them quite high. My next choice would have been the Michelins MTX.

I just get a gut feel that something is being overlooked. We will see.

Shocks are new. I replaced while the first set was on the truck. Brakes new, bearings have been repacked.

Friday I go to the local Toyota dealer which has the Hunter. $94.00 to rebalance all tires and road test. I will update with results.

For information I do alot of intown highway driving here in Cleveland. Very little if any off road. Well some may say our roads may seem like off roading. That is the reason for the tire choice. Tirerack rates them quite high. My next choice would have been the Michelins MTX.

I just get a gut feel that something is being overlooked. We will see.

Hey Dr.:

Three questions for ya:

1. Did you stray from stock OEM tire size with the new tires?
2. Does the truck shake in the steering wheel or in the seat of your pants?
3. Does the truck shake under load or when you are coasting?
4. Does it shake when you put your foot on the brakes (sort of ABS style feeling through the brake pedal)?

Sorry you're having all of these troubles Peter....you shoulda stuck with the 80 series....

:grinpimp: ;)

Let us know how it goes.
-onur
Cinncy.

I've got a bad left CV that is shaking like a mo-fo. My mechanic works on 3 different UZJ100's and says that all got new CV's around 100k. These are full time 4wd and I don't doubt the CV's could wear but I'd love 2nd and 3rd opinions.

My wheel bearing are fine and have been repacked. The other possible culprit appears to be the bearing in the spindle that SLEE talked about before.

The OEM new CV is sitting in the garage waiting for install along with the diff drop...

onur
Tire size is OE.
Shake is in the steering wheel.
Shakes between 65-72 (both). Smooth as a knife in butter before and after.
No shakes when braking, as in a bad rotor etc.

Today at the dealer I will have them give a good look at the drive train to insure the CV's are good and solid.

onur
Tire size is OE.
Shake is in the steering wheel.
Shakes between 65-72 (both). Smooth as a knife in butter before and after.
No shakes when braking, as in a bad rotor etc.

Today at the dealer I will have them give a good look at the drive train to insure the CV's are good and solid.

Seems like tires then--at least from all indications.

Though, I would check thoroughly the torque specs. on the front bearings. Also, just for craps and laughs, I would have the tech check the front and rear drive shafts for play both in the u-joints and in the slips.

Give me a call if you have any troubles. I'll be home from travels this afternoon (late) and I'll be around tomorrow (Saturday) AM if you wanna talk.

Best.
-o-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom