Rear cargo area dome lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been wanting to improve the cargo area lighting in my 80. I have read all the threads and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. A few weeks ago while looking through my basement I found a set of low voltage lights designed to fit under cabinets. These are 12 volt/10 watt lights that use a transformer when run off household current. At a glance they appeared to be about the same size as opening for the cargo area speakers.

I pulled the cover off and discovered that except for a tiny lip the lights would slip into the cover nice and snug.

First step: pull the cover and remove the grill by bending the tabs on the backside. (I'm sure you could leave the grill and cut it out to fit the lights if desired)

Next using a dremel style tool or lots of elbow grease remove the lip inside the cover.

Push the light into the cover and fasten with screws.

I ran the wiring down the rear pillar and used power that I had already run to power my subwoofer. I chose to put the switch inside the old ashtray holder to prevent accidental activation. They are very bright and do a great job!
Pics of the install

dome1.jpg

dome2.jpg

Last edited:
No sorry I was looking through a box of electrical parts and found them loose. I was sure somebody would ask so I posted the pic with the label exposed...I was hoping that would help.

Go look at Home Depot or Lowes, I know they sell similar stuff and Im almost willing to bet they are the same size. Just make sure to get the low voltage versions!!

TCH2FLY,
How hard was it to remove the speaker cover. I tried pulling on it and I don't want to break the tabs. Secondly, the lights under my cabinets get pretty hot..have you had any heat issues since you put them in? Thanks

I had the same idea and went with LEDs from this place

Superbrite LEDs

fit_store1.jpg

Here is the post with pics to add to TCH2FLY's install:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1057684&postcount=44

The location is great since they are angled towards the middle of the cargo area.

Othater,
Just pry gently and they will pop out. The grills are held in by spring clips.

Here is a pic from tonight to give a little better idea of the LED in the rear. The pic is untouched as far as the brightness.
rearlights3.jpg

Last edited:
othater said:
TCH2FLY,
How hard was it to remove the speaker cover. I tried pulling on it and I don't want to break the tabs. Secondly, the lights under my cabinets get pretty hot..have you had any heat issues since you put them in? Thanks

As IBCRUSN said, just pry gently they will come loose.

The heat thing was a concern but I don't need them to run for long periods...just long enough to find what I'm looking for or unload. I'm sure that this is not the best solution for someone who wants/needs to spend a lot of time inside at night.

Thanks for replies..I guess I'll just be careful and pull a little harder. Thanks for the write up. I'm gonna try the led's lights from Ikea and post pics when completed.

haffi said:
I bougth these to use in my living room cabinet.
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15579&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=68162&langId=-1&categoryId=16082&chosenPartNumber=40095690

These are bright, 12 volt, kind of blue-ish light leds. They are very thin (about 5mm I think) and come with a two-side-tape and some fastening brackets.

The first thougt was. Hey, these could be cool interior lights for my cruiser.

i think heading to IKEA lol:beer:

This might be a dumb question...but...does the light get in the way of the speaker? Retarding the sound or something like that. Or are you removing the speaker completely? I guess I was a little confused on that aspect of it.

Looks great! I need to get some better interior light for camping, this is a mod I may "steal". :)

BLACKGOLD said:
This might be a dumb question...but...does the light get in the way of the speaker? Retarding the sound or something like that. Or are you removing the speaker completely? I guess I was a little confused on that aspect of it.

Looks great! I need to get some better interior light for camping, this is a mod I may "steal". :)

I don't think you could get those in there without taking out the speakers after looking at mine ..... most don't care for their sound anyhow.

BLACKGOLD said:

:whoops: Sorry should have been more specific. I removed the speakers completely....I had already disconnected them as part of the stereo upgrade

TCH2FLY said:
:whoops: Sorry should have been more specific. I removed the speakers completely....I had already disconnected them as part of the stereo upgrade

I've read a couple of these dome light write ups and it seems that people are just getting rid of the rear speakers. I guess they are pretty crappy?

I never sit back there so I wouldn't know. :cool: I wonder if mine are already disconnected and I dont even know it! PO did a Stereo Head Unit upgrade, but not sure if they did speakers.

Thanks for the clarification! Seems like the speaker area is the perfect spot for some lighting upgrade then!

Anyone run their low wattage LED's off the speaker wires for that in-cabin disco/rock-n-roll/rave/house party (pick your decade) effect? Sorry... had to ask.

Last edited:
A rave...to much E back in the 90's?:flipoff2:

Yes, the rear speakers need to go to fit either light setup. Unless you have kids in the 3rd row that want the radio the speakers are junk. The location is ideal for a couple reasons, you're only putting a hole in something that can be easily replaced, the angle towards the center of the cargo area is good and it would otherwise be an useless space filled with a 10 year old magnet.

So only the 450's have a cargo light?

The Cruisers do not, correct?

CELICA XX said:
So only the 450's have a cargo light?

The Cruisers do not, correct?

None of the US 80-series have rear cargo light. This includes all the LCs and LXs.

Thanks for starting this thread. Had to go out and buy some LEDs too. Install is a little different. Made some brackets to replace the speakers. This way the lights are behind the speaker grille for that stealthy look. Used a rear deck light switch from a 85 4-runner. :beer:
cargo led lights 001.jpg

cargo led lights 002.jpg

cargo led lights 005.jpg
cargo led lights 001.jpg
cargo led lights 002.jpg
cargo led lights 005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom