Builds ROTW: Wild Yoat's 1996 "Black & Tan" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rig Of The Week - August 14-21, 2006

RW01.jpg

Hey there Mud goers-

Looks like I am up this week. Most of you have had the opportunity to follow some of my posts here and there on “Black & Tan”. Some may even remember how rapidly the rig was built in late Fall 05. For the longest time I have admired the 80 Series Land Cruisers. After spending some time in Moab with the Wasatch Cruisers, and later joining them officially, I figured it was time. While I loved the capability of my 85 4Runner, it was time to move on and keep the fillings in the teeth.

I’m Johnny Lange. Some may know me from Wild Yoats, a forum I created many moons ago for Yota pick up and 4Runner enthusiasts. I’ve been a four wheeling enthusiast for over 17 years now. Blah Blah Blah, enough about me right? After all this isn’t “Meet Your 80 Owner”.

My 1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser is named “Black & Tan”. Yes, one could say I am a beer enthusiast, so when I drummed up a nick-name for the Cruiser, it just happened to be starring at me right there in the face. (The beer that is).

RW02.jpg

RW03.jpg

RW04.jpg

Last edited:
We purchased the cruiser in September 2005 in California. My wife and I flew in to CA, purchased the Cruiser, stopped at Wally World for some $8 sleeping bags and $2 styrofoam cooler, and visted three national parks on the weekend trip back to Utah. The cruiser now is just a Slurpee run away from 154K miles on it. She has some deluxe chrome (oem) mirrors, door handles, and the lovely gold package that I am leaving on just to spite DMC and others constant nagging on how they would change it. :)

I am building the 80 for basically all round four wheeling. Decent rockcrawling capability, but expedition conveniences.

Selling a very capable rig is a hard thing to swallow. I went gung-ho with the 80 as soon as it hit the magical Zion curtain here in Utah.

A quick trip to 4Wheel Parts in Utah and some quick days later, I had all types of goodies on my doorstep. The vehicle as you can see has an ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, WARN X9000 winch, and the suspension is provided by Old Man Emu.

315 Bf Goodrich Mud Tires help roll it down the road. Stock gearing in the diff’s presently, plans for 4.88's or even 5.29's are in the future but coming from a 22RE rolling 35's, I am ok with the set up as it is.

RW05.jpg

Looking inside, I mounted a air pressure gauge down low. The gauge reads how much air is being built up in the tank after I hit the green power switch to power the air compressor.

Using the “Jotto Desk” system, I created a lap top mount. The lap top has several map and trail programs on it, as well as an air-card for posting on MUD on trips. :)

RW06.jpg

RW07.jpg

More items you see in the interior are a Stinger Rechargable light, Radio Shack cheapy CB, and additional power outlets. There is also an additional map light for camping.

Power has been circulated throughout the interior. Under the passenger seat is a power fuse block. One lead heads back to the back storage box, there another flash light mount sits, some more outlets, and my amplifier gain dial. This will be the power point when I pick up a ARB Fridge.

RW08.jpg

Last edited:
I created a low profile box in the back. I have one short dog, and one tall dog, I had to keep this in mind when creating it. It’s perfect for gear, and the front end of it holds a 10" bass speaker.

RW12.jpg

Along with the 10" bass speaker, I recently added some Kicker front door speakers, and some Infinity Reference line rear door speakers. I had to cut out a small hole in the rear grilles for the high range tweeter to poke through as seen. I will add that this speaker combo IS AMAZING, even with the stock head unit.

RW09.jpg

RW10.jpg

I love to create things as well. As many of you know, my “J-Moose” rack I created is a nice ATV Ramp set up that I converted into a rack. It’s uber lightweight, cheap, and has an amazing load capacity.

My most recent creation is the rear bumper. I created the template from cardboard, and later took the parts into a metal shop for the creation. Some cutting here, and some welding there, and this is what you end up with. There are 10 other bumpers out there now in the making.

Along with the bumper creation, I created some on-board air hook ups, and a on-board water tank system. Since the 315 tire no longer fit under the vehicle, I used that space to mount a 7 gallon water tank and a on-board air tank. The water tank is hooked up to a 12V RV pump. The connections you see are for filling the tank, and then a quick-connect for the shower sprayer. The 12V switch is nearby too.

RW11.jpg

RW13.jpg

RW14.jpg

RW15.jpg

Back outside, you see some more goodies. A handy collapsible CB antenna mount, the Mag Light rubber clamp keeps the antenna from bouncing around when down. Slee sliders help protect the sides.

Some stout bumper corner reenforcement plates have been added to the corners as well as a Winch Saver rubber donut for the winch. Some Hella plastic light guards help keep the Hella 4000's nice and chip free.

All decals have been placed on magnetic material. This sure does come in handy with my “sticker” mood swings.

RW17.jpg

RW18.jpg

RW16.jpg

RW19.jpg

RW21.jpg

RW20.jpg

Along with the J-Moose rack, Riser Limb Cables, Rear Bumper, and a few other odds and ends that I created, I recently broke out the sewing machine again after a quick trip to the fabric store for some rip-stop material (man those old ladies there are a bunch of prunes).

I call it the “Cruiser Hut”. My self made end tent product. It goes on in a matter of seconds. The shade tent shown (blue) is made by Enel.

RW22.jpg

"FLASH" digs the tent dad made too!

RW23.jpg

RW24.jpg

Last edited:
And last but not least, a couple of action shots. The last “action shot” is of me, Johnny. That is me in “action” in Moab during Cruise Moab 2006.

Some up and coming projects include some front fender side bars and a off-road lightweight camping trailer.

RW25.jpg

RW26.jpg

RW28.jpg

RW29.jpg

Thanks and cheers!

Johnny

RW27.jpg

Last edited:
That is one mean looking cruiser.
Looks extremely well thought out ,time I tried some of those ideas.
What are those wires from the roof rack to the bullbar for/do?

In the last photo that looks like some mean home brew.
Am I correct?

That is one beauteous beast. I feel you on the 22RE deal. I keep seeing people whine about the lack of power in an FZJ80, but after my 22R (yeah carbed) 85 pickup, the cruiser seems like a powerhouse!

"I love to create things as well. As many of you know, my “J-Moose” rack I created is a nice ATV Ramp set up that I converted into a rack. It’s uber lightweight, cheap, and has an amazing load capacity." How about some pics and details on the rack set up? Did you bolt it up or weld it?

Dan

Johnny,

Excellent vision, planning, and execution without an unlimited budget. I really like what you've done with your truck and your ideas.

:cheers:

-B-

Last edited:
Very nice rig..................:cool:

I knew yours was a particular week I would enjoy.:grinpimp:

As always thanks for contributing.:cheers:

Johnny,

As I've said it before... pretty awesome set-up!

Kevin's family and mine just got back from Moab last night. We (I) had a blast!
Maybe we can hook up next time!

Keep up the good work.;)

Mot

KDan said:
That is one beauteous beast. I feel you on the 22RE deal. I keep seeing people whine about the lack of power in an FZJ80, but after my 22R (yeah carbed) 85 pickup, the cruiser seems like a powerhouse!

"I love to create things as well. As many of you know, my “J-Moose” rack I created is a nice ATV Ramp set up that I converted into a rack. It’s uber lightweight, cheap, and has an amazing load capacity." How about some pics and details on the rack set up? Did you bolt it up or weld it?

Dan

it is linked in his sig line

Thanks Gents!

LX_TREME - The camera is a little 3 or 4 year old Sony Cybershot P series.

TOPEND YOBO - The cables are riser cables. As used on expedition vehicles for flinging trees and branches out of your windsheild's path.

Lol, not home brew, that's some HEFE outta MOAB, UTAH during Cruise Moab 06!

KDAN - The "J-Moose" rack article can be found here:
http://www.wildyoats.com/the_j-rack.htm

AIRLAIRD- Yes, all of the tires have been "grooved". I bought a gun and grooved the center sections (two rows) of each tire.

MOT - :doh: Oh I see how it is! No invite??? Phewy on you both!:flipoff2: Hope you all had fun. I couldn't have gone anyway as I have been on-call this week.

Thanks again gents!

Last edited:
So NOW I know why you weren't answering the phone on Sunday, it was an all day long photo shoot. :flipoff2: As one who mooches many an idea off Johnny, he's got some great ones.

Truck's awesome and you're kinda cute. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom