80 series camp stove (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
so heres the progress on a idea ive had for years. integrated stove in the thick 80 series tail gate. it has a cutting board recessed that removes with storage underneath. one propane stove on the right and more storage in the middle. youll have to wait for more pics as i can only work on the weekends.

mike
IMGP0727.jpg
IMGP0729.jpg
IMGP0751.jpg

Last edited:
Heh ... that's a pretty cool idea!
While you're at it, I bet you could fit a fondue pot in the center console :grinpimp:

What is the plan to cap this off mike?? hinged cover plate?? just curious, might have to cut up mine while the wife is not home. (to prevent mid project heart attacks.
Dave

Cool idea!

You gonna put a sink in there somewhere, too? :D

Mot ;)

my design makes everything flush, this means that when im done ill simply take the carpet-wood that originaly pops into place and cover the inside with either stainless steel or aluminum, then pop rivit a long piano hinge along the inside edge. this will make the stove completly unknown till opened and when opened the inside will act as a grease guard so you dont make a mess of your gear.

mike

mot said:
Cool idea!

You gonna put a sink in there somewhere, too? :D

Mot ;)

haha you say that like its a joke but that was part of my original idea, however due to time contraints and i didnt really wanna mess with the linkages i scraped it for the cutting board. howevere the water system will be soon to follow.

mike

Sweet!

That's gotta be a contender for the the most clever and original mod of the year award. I like it. Please keep us posted on the progress.

Two thumbs up!
:flipoff2:
(Unfortunately, we don't use thumbs around here.) :D

Hayes

Mike,

WHat about the heat, I guess you would just wait for it to cool before you close the gate. ;)

Is there going to be room for a small propane bottle? Or will that be detachable? I would hate to have a propane bottle in the tail gate for safety resons.
Looking good!

Excellent mod, I'd like to do something like that, but I don't think I could bring myself to cut up my tailgate.

Looks great!

:cheers:

Any idea about heat impact on the exterior tailgate paint?

DaveM said:
Any idea about heat impact on the exterior tailgate paint?

I'm sure some kind of heat shield could be installed underneath the stove...

...now where do the keg and tap go...

Hayes

wow! impressive.

ARB or Engel fridge and your set!

One more idea to make this a true outback/safari self contained truck or for so many sub-urbanites, the ultimate tail-gater truck! Monster garage has nothing on you!

Too bad this is such a custom mod, otherwise it would have been a great idea to patent and semi-mass produce it for this niche market.

:cheers:

WET

Good point--with a heat shield, should'nt be much hotter than then engine I would assume.

You probably want an aluminum heat shield, with some fiberglass insulation, like what's under the hood, to protect the paint. You're talking about direct flame heat a couple inches from the painted surface for an extended period of time. You might even consider painting the inside surface with appliance paint, then the insulaton, then the aluminum heat shield.

Or Maybe...a flat custom water tank. The water would absorb the heat and shield the paint. You could put a spigot in the tailgate and dispense hot water from it as well.

Whoa... that's übercool! Please, please, post some diagrams!
BTW, wondering... Is the gas can going to be installed in the tailgate as well, even when it's closed? I would then drive in fear of some nut with loose brakes, especially in the traffic jams here in SoCal...
Cheers. Grolar

Nice. Next, you'll need to convert the upper hatch into an overhead hood complete with fan and lighting. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom