Charcoal Canister test procedure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dereksvoice.com
Would somebody please post the steps you need to take to "blow out" the canister lines, as described in the Emissions Manual? Thanks for the help!

Enjoy.
charcoal cannister.jpg

Sweet, I needed this info too. Where does the charcoal cannister live? Is it expensive to replace?

The charcoal cannister is located in the engine compartment on the passenger side, mounted to the frame rail, I think. Spector shows them as NLA, but I they still show up on the 1sttoyotaparts.com part number look up--MSRP is $300. Check with Cdan, he should know if they are still available.

AWESOME thanks for the thread and the posts.

Sorry if I'm highjacking this post, but I needed to do this inspection too. Looks like my cannister is failing the tests in just about every way. Is there nothing to do short of replacing it?

Another thread from the dead, but everyone searches first anyways, right?

So, I'm working from page one through the FSM emissions manual. I needed to inspect and clean the charcoal cannister as mentioned above. I occasionally get increased pressure from my non-OEM fuel cap and a fuel smell after stopping and parking.

I found the short hose going from the purge pipe to the outer vent control valve was basically melted or deteriorated from fuel vapor or liquid fuel over the last 21 years. So, I replaced all the charcoal cannister hoses in the engine compartment with fuel line.

Removing the cannister required a little work- the metal tube underneath it (which is actually just an open vent that has a "U" bend through a grommet and into the frame) needed to be unbolted from the frame.

Then, I loosened the 2 brackets around the cannister, raised the cannister up, and unbolted the 2 small bolts (I think 8mm or phillip's head screwdriver) holding the vent underneath in place. The metal vent tube underneath is clamped onto a hard plastic tube and rather difficult to remove. Try not to break this part (or any other part when cleaning your cruiser, for that matter).

After removing the hoses on top and the vent control valve, it lifted right out.

Mine was covered in oily fuel grime, so I covered all the ports and sprayed engine degreaser and wiped it dry.

Then I blew out the ports as described in the FSM.

In step 3, there was very little air flow when I blew air through the tank port. At this point, I figured it was time to bury the device and head to the parting out section of ih8mud, so although it said not to wash it, I sprayed carb cleaner liberally in all 3 top ports. Then I used compressed air (Don't know if it was 43 or 430 psi) to blow out all the ports. After this, you could hear the ball valves moving. Maybe they were stuck in place?

Step 4 was easy- no resistance, no charcoal or other liquid came out.

I then inspected the Outer vent control valve, violet BVSV, and VCV. I am amazed it was all working according to spec.

Hope this helps.

man this is an old thread, but did the search bar thing and here it came..:D

got to do this canister check quick getting a bad gas smell inside the ol' fj62... its getting pretty bad :bang: dont like to cruise with fumes :mad:

You should also check the fuel vapor separator that is located behind the right rear quarter trim panel. Also inspect the filler neck hoses, etc. This is more likely the culprit, especially if you are smelling fumes inside the truck. The charcoal canister only works when the engine is off, IIRC.

So, I'm working from page one through the FSM emissions manual. I needed to inspect and clean the charcoal cannister as mentioned above. I occasionally get increased pressure from my non-OEM fuel cap and a fuel smell after stopping and parking.

I found the short hose going from the purge pipe to the outer vent control valve was basically melted or deteriorated from fuel vapor or liquid fuel over the last 21 years. So, I replaced all the charcoal cannister hoses in the engine compartment with fuel line.

Removing the cannister required a little work- the metal tube underneath it (which is actually just an open vent that has a "U" bend through a grommet and into the frame) needed to be unbolted from the frame.

Then, I loosened the 2 brackets around the cannister, raised the cannister up, and unbolted the 2 small bolts (I think 8mm or phillip's head screwdriver) holding the vent underneath in place. The metal vent tube underneath is clamped onto a hard plastic tube and rather difficult to remove. Try not to break this part (or any other part when cleaning your cruiser, for that matter).

After removing the hoses on top and the vent control valve, it lifted right out.

Mine was covered in oily fuel grime, so I covered all the ports and sprayed engine degreaser and wiped it dry.

In step 3, there was very little air flow when I blew air through the tank port. At this point, I figured it was time to bury the device and head to the parting out section of ih8mud, so although it said not to wash it, I sprayed carb cleaner liberally in all 3 top ports. Then I used compressed air (Don't know if it was 43 or 430 psi) to blow out all the ports. After this, you could hear the ball valves moving. Maybe they were stuck in place?

I then inspected the Outer vent control valve, violet BVSV, and VCV. I am amazed it was all working according to spec.

Hope this helps.

It's 43 PSI...430 would blow it up! :doh:

Thank you, thank you. This thread led me to a quick fix. My 86 FJ60's engine bay stunk of gasoline after shutting down the engine. I figured it would not kill me to take put the canister and clean it out. 1st vacuum hose off, 2nd vacuum hose off. I grab the 3rd and it crumbles in my fingers. I didn't need to clean the canister, just reconnect it. Cheap fix with some leftover hose, went for a drive and "BINGO!", no smell.

This web site rocks!!!

Hope this helps.
Wish I knew about this for my old 60. Stank like a bitch when I would fill the tank. Reviving this thread from the dead and following for the one I have now.

Love reading through this and seeing how often this thread has been revived. Maybe it should be a "sticky".

^^^ NEFJ60 has a point

Or at least in the FAQ if it's not already in there

You should also check the fuel vapor separator that is located behind the right rear quarter trim panel. Also inspect the filler neck hoses, etc. This is more likely the culprit, especially if you are smelling fumes inside the truck. The charcoal canister only works when the engine is off, IIRC.

Any more details on this? What does the fuel vapor separator look like? how to find and test it? Is it even testable? Or just replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom