NP205 Speedo issue in FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm buttoning up a project where I'm putting an NP205 in my 40. Any ideas on how to adapt the speedo cable from the NP205 case to my factory FJ40 speedo?

These folks made me a speedo cable to work with my Atlas to the LC speedo head.

NEVADA SPEEDOMETER
878 MARIETTA WAY
SPARKS, NV 89431
Phone: 775-358-7422
Fax: 775-358-7488

Good luck!

-Steve

Should I talk to theose guys as well? I have a VDO speedo hooked up to my NP435. It's not working right.

mdjohnsen said:
Should I talk to theose guys as well? I have a VDO speedo hooked up to my NP435. It's not working right.

Is your cable broke?

Have you verified that the cable is the issue?

Just because a spedometer does not indicate any speed, does not mean that the cable is at fault....there are other pieces in the system.

The speedo cable would not hook up to your transmission, but rather, your transfer case, which according to the pictures you have posted, is a New process 205 cast iron transfer case.

Yep you're right. That's a 205. Anyways, the speedometer shows speed, but mileage is still at 340...which is when PO bought a new speedometer. Where it hooks up to the t-case the connection leaks. Now, i'm re-wiring everything because I had a PO rat's nest....I unplugged the speedometer cable from the back of the speedometer and I then tried to hook it back up and it stops short of the back of the speedometer. I'm thinking the cable broke inside of the sheath. I'm all f'd up.

Found a Speedometer cable to work with 700r4

Hello all,

I finally found an answer to my problem which was a too short speedometer cable for my 3/71 FJ with a 350 with 700r4 attached to a 3speed transfercase. After reading lots of posts and seeing multiple solutions many of which seemed expensive. I just ordered a speedometer cable from JT outfitters for an early Fj40 part number 03207 for 19.95. This is the one that eliminates the speedometer box with the 12" extension. I had to route it a couple different ways to make it finally work and it is tight. Hope this helps someone out. The other option I researched was from Marlin Crawlers: 8" long speedometer extension cable. Fits all Toyota mechanical speedo application. Custom lengths, no problem. Just $1 per inch above the base price and size. The only problem was that I called twice and left two messages with no return call because I wanted to make sure that it would fit a 3/71 transfer case and 3/71 mechanical speedometer. Oh well everything seems to be working now. Don't forget to lube your new cable. Thanks to everyone who has had awesome posts on here I have learned a lot and saved a lot of time.

.......The other option I researched was from Marlin Crawlers: 8" long speedometer extension cable. Fits all Toyota mechanical speedo application. Custom lengths, no problem. Just $1 per inch above the base price and size. The only problem was that I called twice and left two messages with no return call because I wanted to make sure that it would fit a 3/71 transfer case and 3/71 mechanical speedometer.

If that extension will splice between the instrument panel and the speedo cable, with the connection on the engine side of the firewall, it could make taking the instrument panel out easier. Mine is tight and it's a royal PITA trying to get my hand up behind the dash to disconnect/reconnect it.

If that extension will splice between the instrument panel and the speedo cable, with the connection on the engine side of the firewall, it could make taking the instrument panel out easier. Mine is tight and it's a royal PITA trying to get my hand up behind the dash to disconnect/reconnect it.

It installs between the transfer case and existing cable...

:meh:

8" extension sold by Marlin Cruisers

Poser,

Do you think that the extension they sell will work on the 3/71? If so I think it will give me the additional length/slack needed to pull out the instrument cluster. I am just happy that it is working it isn't that big of a deal to take it off at the transfercase, but not having to get under there is always nice.

Brian it shouldn't matter where it connects because either way your going to have extra length/slack.

These folks made me a speedo cable to work with my Atlas to the LC speedo head.

NEVADA SPEEDOMETER
878 MARIETTA WAY
SPARKS, NV 89431
Phone: 775-358-7422
Fax: 775-358-7488

Good luck!

-Steve

hello
how can I contact them? the phone I can not, I do not speak any English

I can not find their website
it will be an e-mail address?

thank you