Help!!! Pilot Bushing Too Tight! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I need some help quickly, as I am about to head to the shop to put everything back together. My PILOT BUSHING was shot, so I ordered the one from AA that is a bit longer for the sbc to Toyota 4 speed set up. The problem is that the tranny input shaft is too tight on the bushing, I think. I could force it on with a mallot, but I don't see how I could get the tranny and xfer case back in with that problem. I want to know if anyone has had this problem, and what they did to fix it. Would it be possible for me to just ream out the inside of the bushing to get the clearence I need? Any help is greatly appreciated... I gotta get the truck out of the shop as it is costing a fortune to leave it there...

Thanks,
Dan

C'Mon, Anyone have any advice??

I don't want to screw this up, so please, if anyone has any advice on this I'd really appreciate it...:confused:

I wouldn't reply (because I'm not sure I fully comprehend your problem) but since you're desperate. - Here goes:

I'm assuming you're talking about the pilot bearing in the flywheel into which the g/box input shaft fits (when you bring the bell-housing up to the engine during final engine-to-gearbox assembly).

It shouldn't need any significant amount of force to get that shaft into the pilot bearing. (Don't force it or you'll do damage in my view.)

If the shaft won't go in, it's probably because you never centred the clutch plate properly when fitting the pressure plate to the flywheel.

You need to use an old g/box input shaft (or something similar) to get the clutch plate centred so that the g/box input shaft will fit in the clutch plate spline and simultaneously enter the pilot bearing.:cheers:

This is not an uncommon problem. It's good to dry-fit before proceeding. Get some 1 inch emery cloth and lightly buff the end of the input shaft and I'll bet you'll be able to get the two to mate.

So the flywheel is in and the new fasteners are torqued. Before installing the pilot bearing, I always make sure that it is a slip-fit on the end of the transmission input shaft so as to avoid any binding while installing the transmission into the clutch and flywheel housing. I just use a piece of emery cloth and lightly sand down the input shaft.
After the pilot bearing is a slip fit on the input shaft, it is then installed into the end of the crank shaft. After it is seated, I put a dab of anti-seize in the center of the pilot bearing where the input shaft will be touching it.

From THIS THREAD <---- this is a link

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:beer:

Thanks All!

Thanks for the replies all, sorry for being in such a rush. I had the tranny and tc out, and I had bought a new pilot bearing from AA. The original problem was that the input shaft was to big, or the inner diameter of the new bearing was too small. We finally realized that the end of the input shaft was mushroomed a little buit from whenever the lst guy tried to force the tranny and tc assembly onto it and had it miss-aligned, which was the reason for replacing it. I did use a clutch alignment tool, but it still took almost four hours just to get the tranny and tc assembly aligned an mated to the engine. What a PITA that is!

I've had problems with the cheap plastic alignment tools in the past. What I've resorted to was (after verifying that the pilot bearing was ok) removing 3 pressure plate bolts (every other one) install 3 longer bolts to keep the clutch pressure plate in alignment with the flywheel, then removing the 3 remaining pressure plate bolts. This will allow the disk to slide onto the input shaft AND be free to wiggle around to let the shaft line up with the input shaft bearing. When reinstalling the bolts just go a little at a time on each one, when you get them all bottomed out, then torque them to specs evenly like you would for lug nuts. The best alignment tool is an OEM input shaft for the transmission, but we're not all THAT lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom