Petrol Smell CURED!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just in case anyone else has a problem with petrol (gasoline)fumes coming inside their Landcruiser, I have finally solved it, after four years!
The smell was strongest towards the rear of the cabin and when I was outside, I noticed that the strongest smell was inside the "locker" where the filler cap is.
So, I prodded around inside the cavity with a metal coat hanger and low and behold, it appeared inside the cabin.(I had already taken the interior trim off, so I could see the area).
It got in between the two metals which are supposed to be sealed.
So, I sealed right round the metal edge with silicone and there is not a whiff of petrol!I can't believe it has actually gone after all this time! It is such a pleasure to drive, now.
The fumes are still around the petrol cap but they can't get in!

Wow, that must have been a relief! Can you snap a picture of the area you found the gap? Could your LC have been in an accident or manufacturers defect?

Hi, No, it was never in an accident. I reckon it was a manufacturer's defect. I have posted two photos. The area is where the car jack is kept, ( just behind the petrol filler area ).
Any questions, feel free!
( "relief" is an understatement. The smell was nauseating and had started to give me headaches ). It feels like driving a new car now!
Cheers.
lc.jpg
lc2.jpg

Wow I can't beleive you went four years before you found the fix.
Glad you found it, enjoy the vehicle!
:cheers:

Just in case anyone else has a problem with petrol (gasoline)fumes coming inside their Landcruiser, I have finally solved it, after four years!
The smell was strongest towards the rear of the cabin and when I was outside, I noticed that the strongest smell was inside the "locker" where the filler cap is.
So, I prodded around inside the cavity with a metal coat hanger and low and behold, it appeared inside the cabin.(I had already taken the interior trim off, so I could see the area).
So, I sealed right round the metal edge with silicone and there is not a whiff of petrol!I can't believe it has actually gone after all this time! It is such a pleasure to drive, now.
Congratulations, I admire your perseverance. I had a Tahoe with a bad wind noise I worked on for seven years, never did find it. Enjoy your fume free rig.

Now that you aren't getting daily brain damage from the fumes I'd try and figure out why the cap is leaking.

Did Toyota ever try and work on the problem ?

Crosslink to Dominic's original thread. - this has a lot more petrol smell tech

Yse, indeed.
In the past, I bought two new caps but the problem persisted.
Toyota looked at it twice, but had no success.
I have it booked in with a knowledgeable independent mechanic after Easter to get it checked out, but my BIG problem of the fumes getting into the cabin has been solved!

good detective job!
In the FAQ!

I wonder if one could have the same success by siliconing from inside the fuel door.
I poked around bsck there too and did not notice how I could be suffering from the smell. Never noticed this in faq.
I can't get that panel off now without pulling out my drawer system. :doh:

You will go through the withdrawal phase….LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom