'03+ ARB Combination Bar on a '98-'02 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoser

SILVER Star
Threads
I purchased an '03+ ARB Combination bumper to install on my '98 LX. A bit of a risk since it is specifically for a Land Cruiser but I thought I'd give it a try. Actually, it was easier than I thought it would be. I would estimate it takes just an additional 30 minutes over the regular install time depending on how well you "finish" and paint the upper bull bar where the two antenna tabs are removed. The two tabs on the upper bull bar need to be removed in order for the LX hood to clear when raised.

Pic#1, Locate the two frame horns. The lower portion will need to be trimmed carefully with a cut-off tool.

Pic#2, shows what exactly needs to be cut.

Pic#3, modified frame horn done as explained in the ARB instructions.
IMG_4015.jpg
IMG_4019.jpg
IMG_4021.jpg

Last edited:
Pic #4 shows the accordian brackets mounted.

Pic #5 shows the upper tab mounts grinded off. You'll have to grind it smooth, primer and then paint/powdercoat it. I'll probably be removing the top hoop so I left it a bit rough. If you need the tabs, you could also reweld them off to the side. It is the LX grill that interferes with the tabs when you open the hood. The LC grill is stationary and is not part of the hood.

Pic #6--The finished product.
IMG_4022.jpg
IMG_4023.jpg
IMG_4033.jpg

Last edited:
Thats gunna look nice!
Ive always liked that LX front
Its a shame there's just too many wildlifes around here.

Matt

That is great to see the bumper already mounted, it looks great on there! I'm happy things worked out Les, I appreciate you buying it from me, thanks and take care!

Looks good Hoser. What kind of winch are you going with? Waiting for AHC report as well.

Looks Great!

Copy Cat!!!

LOL

Looks good Hoser. What kind of winch are you going with? Waiting for AHC report as well.
I'm not sure what kind of winch yet. This bumper is very stout but also very heavy... maybe 140+lbs? I can feel the extra weight and will be installing a set of LC T-bars.

Looks Great!

Copy Cat!!!
Yup, thanks Val! :cheers:

Last edited:
That looks awesome. I might have to go that route when the time comes!

I can't stand the amount of frontal overhang of the ARB. If it wasn't for Snook and his "slimming" mod, I probably wouldn't have bought this ARB bumper.

Are you planning on cutting off the bull bar part? If you do the Snook mod, the hood will contact the top bar when you open it, won't it? I've been looking at doing this to mine too; but without cutting the top bar off, I don't see how the hood will shut.

nice job and great writeup. FAQ material.

no significant loss of strength?

what about the little headlights? are they covered up much?

nice job and great writeup. FAQ material.

no significant loss of strength?

what about the little headlights? are they covered up much?
No loss of strength--or if any, very minimal. The accordian mounts are still held in by 4 bolts. The part cut-off was not used as a mounting point. Yes, the high beams are slightly obstructed in its current state but they still work fine.

Last edited:
Very nice. Wish you had been two weeks earlier on this so I could have bought the $600 ARB that was on eBay :)

Hoser -

I was able to dig up the install instructions in the garage last night. Will be faxing today.

Hoser, what did you use to cut the steel horns? I guess this mod is non-reversible in that you won't be able to reinstall the crush beam if you ever decided to sell the vehicle w/ the OEM plastic bumper?

I used a pneumatic cut-off tool to cut the steel horns. It only takes a few minutes per side. The part that was cut-off could be welded back on if needed. It is also likely that the newer style crush beam/bumper could be used. The next time somebody with an '03+ removes their bumper, snap a picture so we can compare.

Looks great. How 'bout some more pix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom