Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking great.

By the way, I wanted to ask you. How do you like your Ranger overdrive? Does it work well or would you switch to something else if you had the opportunity?

I like the Ranger. It really does split the gears. My H55 drops around 1000 RPMs when I shift in the long gears. If I use the Ranger, I only drop 500 RPMs when I shift. More shifting though.

I think the Ranger will be needed a lot less with the diesel, but will give me the ability to really squeeze out the diesel mileage.

If I'm in 4th gear on the H55, I can either shift into fifth on the H55 or high on the Ranger, they are about the same. But, in fifth gear on the H55, I can still shift into high on the Ranger to give me a final overdrive of .617:1 (I think that is the right calculation).

Also, on the negative side, it makes a loud whine when you shift it into high. I'm not sure, but I think the whine eases off over time. Very slowly though. I've had mine for 8 years and it still whines.

Nice turbo. Are you sure you want a waste gate?...Just being jelous!

If you go to TCP Global on the web, they have VHT (Very High Temperature) paint that is supposed to work up to 2000 degrees. I used it on my turbo to try to avoid that really bad rust look down the road.

Looking great.

Thank you sir :cheers:

I like the Ranger. It really does split the gears. My H55 drops around 1000 RPMs when I shift in the long gears. If I use the Ranger, I only drop 500 RPMs when I shift. More shifting though.

I think the Ranger will be needed a lot less with the diesel, but will give me the ability to really squeeze out the diesel mileage.

If I'm in 4th gear on the H55, I can either shift into fifth on the H55 or high on the Ranger, they are about the same. But, in fifth gear on the H55, I can still shift into high on the Ranger to give me a final overdrive of .617:1 (I think that is the right calculation).

Also, on the negative side, it makes a loud whine when you shift it into high. I'm not sure, but I think the whine eases off over time. Very slowly though. I've had mine for 8 years and it still whines.

Between the whine and the 420lb/ft limit, I think I'm going to go with the NV4500. The ranger sounds nice, but I think I'm going to be right at 400 lb/ft when I start, then move up to somewhere around 500.

Nice turbo. Are you sure you want a waste gate?...Just being jelous!

If you go to TCP Global on the web, they have VHT (Very High Temperature) paint that is supposed to work up to 2000 degrees. I used it on my turbo to try to avoid that really bad rust look down the road.

I was just about to ask you about this stuff! I'll look this up right away, thanks a ton man!!

Alright, so about the silencer ring. This turbo does not have a ring. The compressor housing is cast in that shape. Something unique to this model?

IMG_20120822_174801.jpg

I've sent Scott at tndieselconversions.com a bunch of money for parts so I can build this 4BT, but I'm waiting on everything to ship, so the motor build is on hold :frown: So, while that part is on hold, I've decided to move onto other productive work.

A part of this diesel conversion includes installing an electric radiator fan. After a bunch of research, I decided on the Ford Contour V6 electric fan setup, with a flex-a-lite fan speed controller. My biggest reference thus far has been Spook's install thread, so props are due:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/237250-ford-contour-fan-installation-thread.html

I had the new fan assembly shipped to me from Amazon, along with the flex-a-lite controller kit. Fan is Dorman brand. I then promptly cut the extraneous tabs off for proper fitment up to my new CSR radiator.

Stock setup with tabs:
IMG_20120830_200534.jpg

Tabs cut off. Nearly perfect fit. Crazy that this is coincidental:
IMG_20120830_201818.jpg

Here are the plugs that each motor has. I believe I've found a pigtail that Rock Auto sells for this connector, so I should be good to go there:

IMG_20120830_200552.jpg

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=663925

EDIT:
Clint ( Dirtgipsy ) found the exact same pigtails from a different source, but for about 1/2 the price. Try to order from this vendor before rock auto:

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ford_Wire_Harness_Connector_Radiator_Cooling_p/a20852.htm

Flex-a-lite fan controller kit:

IMG_20120830_202914.jpg

I think I'm going to wire the two fans together like Spook did just so I don't have to wire another switch for the second fan. I'm also thinking about mounting the fan controller and 30a fuse right onto the shroud. That'll keep the wiring nice and tight while providing a mount for controller.

IMG_20120830_203414.jpg

What say you 'mud?

Last edited:
Alright, so about the silencer ring. This turbo does not have a ring. The compressor housing is cast in that shape. Something unique to this model?

Johnny, I was not aware that a silencer ring was an OPTION on Holset turbos for the Cummins. Yours is the first I've ever seen that couldn't be removed. I was afraid at first that you may have gotten a clone/fake but, on one of the diesel forums it says on the Holeset website that it is an option in the maintenance manual.... Learn something new everyday.....

Good find on the wiring pigtails for the fan motors. Those are getting harder to find at the JY, at least over here they are. If you work your truck up hill your motor will get warm so I like the idea of both fans running plus I think a dual fan system is more efficient when both fans are running, even on low. Under normal conditions the fans probably won't come on. Do you plan on using the tranny cooler lines on your radiator for anything?

Johnny, I was not aware that a silencer ring was an OPTION on Holset turbos for the Cummins. Yours is the first I've ever seen that couldn't be removed. I was afraid at first that you may have gotten a clone/fake but, on one of the diesel forums it says on the Holeset website that it is an option in the maintenance manual.... Learn something new everyday.....

Not sure what application this turbo was purchased for, but I do not believe it was specifically for Cummins. It's a dual-scroll unit, but the HX30ws I've seen bolted to Cummins motors all have a single scroll, so I have no idea.

Learn something new every day is right!

Good find on the wiring pigtails for the fan motors. Those are getting harder to find at the JY, at least over here they are. If you work your truck up hill your motor will get warm so I like the idea of both fans running plus I think a dual fan system is more efficient when both fans are running, even on low. Under normal conditions the fans probably won't come on. Do you plan on using the tranny cooler lines on your radiator for anything?

I just ordered the pigtails and they'll be here tomorrow morning. Here's to hoping they fit up!

Good idea, I think I'll wire them up together then. I don't think that the fans will pull 30a together, at least I hope not.

I have an 80 series AT cooler that I have been using as a PS cooler. I was thinking that I'd either replace the AT cooler I've been using with this radiator AT cooler or use both in conjunction. What do you think?

did you get the dual fan setup new ...? where ... how much .:?

few moths ago I was looking this option closely and found an fan controller that controls speed related to water temp ..

That's a lot of fan for a 4BT and 60 series radiator.

It's temperature controlled via thermostat, so no matter how warm it gets, this fan will be able to cool it.

I like it!...A lot.

Thank you!

did you get the dual fan setup new ...? where ... how much .:?

few moths ago I was looking this option closely and found an fan controller that controls speed related to water temp ..

Got the fan new from Amazon. It's a 'Dorman' brand:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C17G9K/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i00

The flex-a-lite controller does exactly that, control fan speed based on the engine's water temperature. I'm pretty excited about it :D

nice please .. bunch of pics and reports .. it looks like fan setup it's almost bolt on .. wanna see how much real world amps they draw ..

Will do!! I should have a bunch more progress to give this coming week.

Those pigtails from Advance Auto Parts didn't work out. They're way too small. Found these at RockAuto so I ordered up a couple of them. The description matches exactly, so we'll see how they fit!

EDIT:

Clint ( Dirtgipsy ) found the exact same pigtails from a different source, but for about 1/2 the price. Try to order from this vendor before rock auto:

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ford_Wire_Harness_Connector_Radiator_Cooling_p/a20852.htm

Last edited:
Will do!! I should have a bunch more progress to give this coming week.

keep part list close .. I'm heading same direction ..

I've sent Scott at tndieselconversions.com a bunch of money for parts so I can build this 4BT, but I'm waiting on everything to ship, so the motor build is on hold :frown: So, while that part is on hold, I've decided to move onto other productive work.

A part of this diesel conversion includes installing an electric radiator fan. After a bunch of research, I decided on the Ford Contour V6 electric fan setup, with a flex-a-lite fan speed controller. My biggest reference thus far has been Spook's install thread, so props are due:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/237250-ford-contour-fan-installation-thread.html

I had the new fan assembly shipped to me from Amazon, along with the flex-a-lite controller kit. Fan is Dorman brand. I then promptly cut the extraneous tabs off for proper fitment up to my new CSR radiator.

Stock setup with tabs:

Tabs cut off. Nearly perfect fit. Crazy that this is coincidental:

Here are the plugs that each motor has. I believe I've found a pigtail that Rock Auto sells for this connector, so I should be good to go there:

Flex-a-lite fan controller kit:

I think I'm going to wire the two fans together like Spook did just so I don't have to wire another switch for the second fan. I'm also thinking about mounting the fan controller and 30a fuse right onto the shroud. That'll keep the wiring nice and tight while providing a mount for controller.

What say you 'mud?

Welcome to the dark side! I have two things to advise you of. Do everything in your power to isolate vibrations and add sound deadning! Even when you think you have done enough. Do more.

Do you have a link to the fan controller? Does it have a provision for speed or A/C cut-out or input? Only reason I ask is that I used painless even though more expensive is that it has provisions for both as well as adjustability to turn on and off depending on "your" settings for temp. I have found that diesels seem to like to warm up a bit further than the old 2F. Just wondering is all! I never read spooks write up. :D

I think you will find the fans a great addition! Let me know what you find on the pigtails! I found these and am awaiting them to arrive in the mail. http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ford_Wire_Harness_Connector_Radiator_Cooling_p/a20852.htm

Seeing the price I paid and yours I am a bit skeptical that I got the right ones.

Let me know when you tire of the HX30 and go bigger. I will take it off your hands:cheers:

Lastly there is a gent lurking here looking for a H55F and goodies for a 4BD1T conversion. He is posting up in Longbow's build thread. Might be a great ave to have a buyer lined up when you grab the NV4500.

Clint

keep part list close .. I'm heading same direction ..

Me too!! Subscribed

Will do guys!

Welcome to the dark side! I have two things to advise you of. Do everything in your power to isolate vibrations and add sound deadning! Even when you think you have done enough. Do more.

Do you have a link to the fan controller? Does it have a provision for speed or A/C cut-out or input? Only reason I ask is that I used painless even though more expensive is that it has provisions for both as well as adjustability to turn on and off depending on "your" settings for temp. I have found that diesels seem to like to warm up a bit further than the old 2F. Just wondering is all! I never read spooks write up. :D

I think you will find the fans a great addition! Let me know what you find on the pigtails! I found these and am awaiting them to arrive in the mail. http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ford_Wire_Harness_Connector_Radiator_Cooling_p/a20852.htm

Seeing the price I paid and yours I am a bit skeptical that I got the right ones.

Let me know when you tire of the HX30 and go bigger. I will take it off your hands:cheers:

Lastly there is a gent lurking here looking for a H55F and goodies for a 4BD1T conversion. He is posting up in Longbow's build thread. Might be a great ave to have a buyer lined up when you grab the NV4500.

Clint

Thanks for the advice Clint! I've got the big liquid filled motor mounts and have been doing a bunch of research into sound deadening. I think I'm going to invest in CruiserCrap and some sort of firewall coating. I'll make sure to double up!

I do have a link to the fan controller wiring instructions. There is an AC provision as well as either a manual on, or manual off function. The temp range at which the fans switch from 60% to 100% is also adjustable:
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/31163-91163.pdf

I'll keep you posted about how the rest of the wiring goes, including the pigtails. I'll be pissed at the price I paid if yours work!

If I decide to move away from the HX30, you'll be the first I tell :D

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom