Transfer case fill plug-help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I have a fill plug that was striped round by PO and am looking for suggesttions as to the best method to get this thing out of there. I was in the process of putting an oil bypass (?) hose from the filler of the trans to the filler of the transfer case because I know the seal is no good between the two. I was planning on fixing this problem at a later date when time permits. I went ahead and drained the transfer case oil not thinking to look at the filler plug first :doh:. Is there another way to fill the transfer case with oil so that I can get it to a friend with a welder and I will have a nut welded on what is left of the filler plug and try and remove it this way. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Well, you could always roll your rig upside down, fill it, and then roll it back on the wheels. :D Probably the easiest and quickest would be to have your friend load up his welder and bring it over. It would be about 30 seconds worth of work to weld on a nut (it might cost you a case of beer, though). Another option would be to file down the sides so you have some corners to grab hold of with a wrench. That option would take a little longer than 30 seconds.

Good luck! :cheers:

Not the easiest method, but you can pull the vent out of the top cover and use that to pour oil in. I think you'd have to pull the tranny hump out for that though.

Tranny hump is already out as I was doing an e-brake cable change and a few other things. Is the vent on the cover for the PTO?

Brian

have you tried a hammer and chiesel, a file or grinder to put some square edges on it, or a small pipe wrench

x2 on the vice grips

I would try the hammer and the chisel... it always has worked for me...

Tranny hump is already out as I was doing an e-brake cable change and a few other things. Is the vent on the cover for the PTO?

Brian

On the top cover. It's #6 in the Specter picture:
068A1.gif

Another option is to use one size smaller socket and hammer it on the rounded off plug. Worked for me. After you get it removed, replace the plug.

Howdy! Can't you just fill it by popping off the whole PTO cover? Without looking at mine, it seems like the fill plug is close to level with the bottom of the PTO. That would be enough to drive it over to the welder. You could raise the driver's side up some to get it even more level. John

Another option is to use one size smaller socket and hammer it on the rounded off plug. Worked for me. After you get it removed, replace the plug.

I don't think I would try that. Might crack the alluminum case.

x2 on the vice grips

x3 BUT with a 3' breaker bar on the end.... turned right off. adding that 3' breaker bar makes ALL the difference.

then, go with the SOR recessed hex plugs

AllenHead.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom