New 70 Series V8 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So have any of the Kiwi boys got there hands on one of these yet? I rang around the local Auckland dealers and they either had no idea bout it, and the one that did said it was three weeks away.. Obviously Auckland's not part of the target market...

Im thinking I need to get me one :)

Hi James I'm in the top of the south, all the ones that arrived on the first delivery a week and half ago have sold here. I ordered mine last October and picked it up today. Its been at the dealers a week.
Mines a GLX cab chassis, theres a "workmate" version, and there was a 5 door at the dealers when I picked mine upto tonight. Mines been in the show room, sales guys said there have been heaps of people look at it. Some body earlier on said they had heard all the first shipment has sold.

Get into it... its gotta be good.

Tapage, I live in Panama too. Do you know if Ricardo Perez is going to sell these with the V8 later this year? I want one!!!:cheers:

Hi James I'm in the top of the south, all the ones that arrived on the first delivery a week and half ago have sold here. I ordered mine last October and picked it up today. Its been at the dealers a week.
Mines a GLX cab chassis, theres a "workmate" version, and there was a 5 door at the dealers when I picked mine upto tonight. Mines been in the show room, sales guys said there have been heaps of people look at it. Some body earlier on said they had heard all the first shipment has sold.

Get into it... its gotta be good.

I have family in Mot, so have spent some time down there..

Have you got any photos/video of that thing yet, sounds awesome, you lucky bugger!

Did you order with the diff locks? for $2k it would seem silly not to?

Picture630.jpg

Picture633.jpg

Picture637.jpg

Hello, I don’t know if you already seen the press kit, but it includes all technical specifications and features, very interesting! Press Kit

I have family in Mot, so have spent some time down there..

Have you got any photos/video of that thing yet, sounds awesome, you lucky bugger!

Did you order with the diff locks? for $2k it would seem silly not to?

Have some photos, no video though do not have that technology. last time I tried to post photos I ended up with just the link, so any tips as to how to do it? Theres a help section here somewhere??

Not sure about the lucky James have been planning to buy a new 70 series ever since I bought my first, so its been in the pipeline for a long time.

Yep got the diff locks, will probably only buy a new truck once so thought I may as well get the best I could.

See the photos above the "workmate option". has twin tanks though is not an option in NZ. We only have 2 C&C models I see the Aussies get 3 Whats the difference??

Last edited:
Ooo man .. please take a short video to ear that .. !

Sorry mate, don't have that technology, just take my word for it. Have done 250ks so far and it just gets better. Engine has freed up a bit, and it appears to have more power than my mates turbo with 30,000ks on it. He Reckons its just come right and is going better than it ever has. Very quiet outside, no V8 burble or anything, but around 1000 revs and on it sure sounds like a V8 inside. And it has so much low down grunt.....unbelievable . At 100 clicks ( our legal open road limit) you can hardly hear the engine, just the wind noise. And if the windows open, you can hear heaps of air getting sucked in the snorkel. V8 snorkel is bigger than the old turbo six, it appears to need that air. Will have a go at posting pics.

Hi Welby
What have they got on the exhaust system, sensors? particulate trap? does
your manual say anything about burn cycles etc.
Able to get any photos of turbo/manifold route?

I reckon your'e right there waydownunder, he would be hooked. Drove mine home from the dealers tonight, looking at fitting compressor and UHF radio, and drives very simialr to the 79, but that V8... man its nice. Had a read of the handbook, suggested fitting of a UHF radio might upset some of the electronic systems. Guess that will have to wait. Be interesting to see if they raise it at the training course. Will just sus out how I can fit it I think till Mr Toyota comes back to me. Enjoy the training, and hopefully some driving as well do you think??

well pretty brief course,drove from Taupo to palmy this morning left at 6am,3 hr drive with a friggin speeding ticket in the last 40ks:mad: :mad: was drivin a little lexus is200 couldnt tell the difference between 100 & 120 !!! anyways my own fault:doh: :beer: :beer: new 70 is 100mm wider overall with 80mm increase in front track (stretched the front of the frame & diff housing wider),engine has a stiffener bolted to the main caps for strength,2 throttle bodies,cast iron block!!,turbo is of the variable nozzle type as found on hilux(no waste gate) but is controlled by a vacuum diaprhagm instead of the dc electric motor like hilux(hmmm can anyone say easy boost increase!!!) most of the control systems are the same as hilux,will bring my book home tomorrow these things were just off the top of my head:D and no didnt get a drive or nuthin though they do have a really nice cafe at TNZ and everything was free:cheers: will have some more info later:beer: :beer: :beer:

See pics. What do you guys want to see. Will try and get them and post tomorrow.

love that box in that pic,thats some real kiwi styles bro!!!:D

Not sure that playing with the vacum hose on that variable turbo would be wise.
Throttle body to restrict airflow at cold idle,quick warmup cleaner emission.
Local dealer has a demo, cant wait.

Not sure that playing with the vacum hose on that variable turbo would be wise.
Throttle body to restrict airflow at cold idle,quick warmup cleaner emission.
Local dealer has a demo, cant wait.

why not?? in typical toyota fashion these engines are heavily derated for longevity makes them easier to tweak for more power later on too when they release there `uprated` versions,
I know of 2 seperate marine engine companies who marinise toyota engines and market them a lot more horsepower than you would see in any car/truk
yanmar does a version of the 1hd-ft that puts out 315hp
nanni does a 1 kz-t that puts out 200hp
none of these are electronic engines either

the 1vd-ftv also has 2 throttle bodies,3 fuel coolers,egr cooler,two oil pumps too can ya work that one out?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom