It does Exist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClemsonCruiser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
This thread is here to put and end to all the speculation..... it has been rumored for some time now that I had a FJ45 sitting out in the back 40, but with no proof to back it up I was heckled and harrassed by fellow members of our club :rolleyes:. Now I feel it is time to put all this to rest! Why now you might ask? Because I actually own it now :grinpimp: It was previously belonged to our fellow UC bretheren Daniel Waters, but in what must have been a momentary laspe of sanity he agreed to sell the old girl to me :beer: So at long last I have my own FJ45LPB :bounce::bounce2::steer:

So enough rambling here is how she looked when I got her:
(pics stolen from daniel)
169686671213.jpg
545076671213.jpg
913986671213.jpg

Overall she is in very good shape for the age. Has some rust/ rot in the hard top and a little spot on the frame, but nothing that can't be easily fixed.

Plans are to get her up and running and mechanically sound. I bought all new brakes cycl. shoes, axle rebuilds front and rear, new seat covers, and lots of little end and outs. I am also going back to my MAFIA roots and going with a temporary rattle can paint job as I just don't have the money or time to do a full frame off paint job at the moment. I found a Valspar paint at Lowes that closely matches the period correct Horizon blue and will be using it. It has a Satin finish so it hides imperfections really well and gives the paint a more rustic look. Also going to go topless on this one, I sourced some OEM softop doors in fantastic shape, and picked up some bows this weekend from Chris, now I just have to have the :princess: put her sewing skills to good use and make me a canvas top......

I keep posting updates here as I make progress, this should be a relitively short build over the next month or two. As I really want to get this one on the road quick and enjoy it:beer:

Pics from Sunday works...... removed the hard top, doors, bed, etc. and did some painting :beer:

Topless already
DSC_0957.jpg

Testing the colors
DSC_0956.jpg

Bed had to be removed to replace the 3" steel lift blocks.....

DSC_0953.jpg
DSC_0957.jpg
DSC_0956.jpg
DSC_0953.jpg

tell me about that good looking 40 in the back of the 45 in pic #1

Lightly sanded the bed, primed, and shot with 3 coats of the satin blue followed by two coats satin clear. I think for what it is I am very pleased it will do until I have time to do a proper paint job and it is much easier on the eyes than the current rust colored primer :beer:

DSC_0960.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

pretty good match.......

fj45 blue-2.jpg

Next up reupholstering the seats with new cushions and covers from SOR, oh and I bought seat heaters as well.... I guess I am getting soft in my old age :hillbilly:
DSC_0960.jpg
DSC_0962.jpg
fj45 blue-2.jpg

tell me about that good looking 40 in the back of the 45 in pic #1

Last I heard some dude blew the engine in it and then ruined it by throwing a chebby in it, oh and he is a game cock fan :flipoff2:

Who cares about the 45. I don't see the chair in any of those pics.

it is going to my new drivers seat, duh :hillbilly:

Update your sig so that we can start placing bets on when this one will go up for sale. I agree with the not doign a full resto, then it is still in my budget. :bounce2:

Update your sig so that we can start placing bets on when this one will go up for sale. I agree with the not doign a full resto, then it is still in my budget. :bounce2:

I feel like I have vultures circling overhead :doh:

Not yet... I'll wait until you get it on the road first.

Last I heard some dude blew the engine in it and then ruined it by throwing a chebby in it, oh and he is a game **** fan :flipoff2:

a chebby wasn't my first choice!!! I would have prefered another greasy diesel.

I did come across an H motor but the guy wants the same price for his worn out H that needs a full rebuild that i could get a running 4bt or 4bd1t engine for.

I did come across an H motor but the guy wants the same price for his worn out H that needs a full rebuild that i could get a running 4bt or 4bd1t engine for.

go with the Mercedes OM617..... that is what I am going to do now the 4x4 labs has the adapters for the H41/H42 trans. I'd love to go Toyota diesel, but the prices are to rich for my blood at moment

This thread is here to put and end to all the speculation..... it has been rumored for some time now that I had a FJ45 sitting out in the back 40, but with no proof to back it up I was heckled and harrassed by fellow members of our club :rolleyes:. Now I feel it is time to put all this to rest! Why now you might ask? Because I actually own it now :grinpimp: It was previously belonged to our fellow UC bretheren Daniel Waters, but in what must have been a momentary laspe of sanity he agreed to sell the old girl to me :beer: So at long last I have my own FJ45LPB :bounce::bounce2::steer:

Dude...I'm speechless...!
Then I saw now pics.
That is THE Cruiser of dreams.
Well done.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ohm...cruiser,cruiser,cruiser....Ohm

go with the Mercedes OM617..... that is what I am going to do now the 4x4 labs has the adapters for the H41/H42 trans. I'd love to go Toyota diesel, but the prices are to rich for my blood at moment

i'm still on the fence about the om617.

I like how it revs like a gasser but i'm afraid it wont have the torque i need for towing.

I'll probably do like i did with my last engine swap and see what comes up on the classifieds cheap.

a cummins engine can come with an adapter that will fit a SBC.

But cummins and isuzu diesels both require an over drive. An OM617 would benefit from OD but would not be a necessity.

on another note at this time i think the only options 4x4 labs has for om617 is for the truck trannys and GM bolt pattern...i would love to see a direct to H42 swap.

I donated my old h42 to diesel tim out of atlanta who makes the 4bd1t to nv4600 conversions in hopes he could come up with a swap to bolt the toyota tranny directly to the isuzu.

However you need at least a 27% od with that engine and that's with 31" tires and 3:7 gears to do 65 without vibrating out all your fillings.

with 33's even an H55 would need marks gear set to make her run comfortably.

I hate to say it but Ranger OD is our friend when adding USDM commercial/industurial diesels to our rigs.

the cummins likes to rev even less

Stop the presses! The check didn't clear! I changed my mind! Paint it back to the brick-ish red..... jk! I'm glad you got it. I think she'll be fine!

Title and bill of sale go in the mailbox tomorrow.

Love the blue! I painted my hardtop today and it came out so much better than I thought it would. Check out my thread. "2h Lhd. Look familiar?"

What drivetrain are you going with?
Daniel

Dude...I'm speechless...!
Then I saw now pics.
That is THE Cruiser of dreams.
Well done.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ohm...cruiser,cruiser,cruiser....Ohm

Thanks for the kind words David :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom