Early 80s Flashback: Remember Stompers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you were born in the 70s, you probably remember playing with a Stomper Toy Truck. They were these little AA powered toy 4x4 trucks with interchangeable tires. This was one of my favorite toys. Came to mind because i saw a Jeep Honcho today and it reminded me I used to have a toy that looked just like it. I have just realized that this is how I really started loving 4x4s.

Last edited:
i had one that looked like a bronco with the top off. to revved it up, and all 4 tires spun, it had low gears and wouls crwal over every thing.
not quite a Stomper, but cool.

i was also amazed when I realized i had TOTALLY forgotten about it. makes me wonder how much stuff one forgets

Found my first J**p on Google:

474honcho-1.JPG

yeap. they had plactic "hills" and stuff you could setup.
they ran on one AA, had high and low range as well as "neutral" as well as working head lights.
the roll/lightbar/tonnue cover on this one snapped out and could be replaced with one of those in bed camper(not a cap) things that were all the rage.

anybody recall the mini stompers that mc-D's put in their happymeals?
about half the size of the ''real'' ones, and only had "neutral"?

and yes it's an SR5....
stomper.JPG
stomperB.JPG

MAN iused to play with those all day in the creek behind my house. i even had the BIG swamper stomper amphibious one. i would even take it in the bathtub and watch it cruise around in there

And then there were Mods! I used to put a 9V batery in mine, Yea it could be done with only 1 piece of wire and then it realy flew. The other thing I used to do was drop it into the fishtank running. but only on a AA. It was like running in slow motion, or on the moon. We also glued bigger wheels and tires on them. A little fender trimmin or they just stuck out past the body.

I had a bunch, my fav was the Van.

Don't remember the brand, but I definetely had one.

I think I had one or two, I know my little brother did.... We glued two tires together to make them wider....

I had stompers, the pulling sled, the obstacle course, and made several more courses. My favorite was the 4wd blue chevy stepside that looked like John's truck from Chips. Had another that had a camper top on it. We built trailers for them, a clay pulling track, changed some to 2wd for pulling, weight bars on the front, etc. They had sponge tires, hard rubber tires, double wide tires.

The coolest was drivin em at night, watchin the lights light up.

And of course the obligitory running over of strings of matchbox cars (not hotwheels, cause they were cool).

I had about a mile of the orange hotwheels track, the figure 8 course, and all kinda other stuff. You couldnt walk in the back half of our house without negotiating orange track.

I also had three TCR sets that I'd make into a monster track, with 8 cars on it (remember the jam cars....)

My mom picked up all of that stuff at garage sales.

A friend of mine had a sizzler set. Big highbanked track with cars that youd charge up a battery inside em and let em fly. You'd lose an eye if one of them things jumped the track, or get a big welt on your forehead......

Ahh the good ole days..

Stompers were def. cool back in the early 80's. My buddies always had a bunch...I always liked the smell of the foam tires..

Yep I had that sisslers track too. Never had TCR, but did have alot of Tyco and AFX slot track. Then got into WOmp WOmp, and flex chassis for a while before going to RC10's

still have two of mine, the honcho and a CJ... bummed I missed the Toyota truck.

Similarly cool,

My kids have these hotwheels (yeah they were always cooler in my book too) rev up climber things. They're magnetic on the bottom and 4 wheel drive with articulating front axles, they defy gravity and drive up metal objects... it's :idea: amazing. :eek:

The coolest one he has actually has a high and low range by just clicking down on the body, it hauls ass and crawls. Coooool :cool:

I worked at a hobby shop growin up, and assembled an 8 lane slot car track. German guy named Hassie built it, and we assembled it in the store. Was a cool track. 350 ft i think. I remember the womps, flexifliers. The coolest fun was running the 1/24 scale tamtech cars on it (small RC on the highbanks was a challenge).

Did more than my share of RC stuff. Even had an original Tamiya bruiser with the toyota body. Have a ton of RC aircraft stuff in my garage. I just got my daughter an rc10t that we play around with in the front yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom