And so begins the '79' rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first ever frame up rebuild... all opinions and advice are welcome. here are the pics for the last couple of weekends tearing her down to the tub and getting ready to pull the body off....
20151003_093625.jpg

Now... Im not a welder. but pretty sure this is an unsalvagable tub. Planning on a Gozzard fit up.
Any opinions to the contrary? In terms of the tub being garbage not the Gozzard tub.
20151003_154405.jpg

The tub is done, but be sure to pick off all the little parts that are attached to it, even the grommets and green connectors. These may seem like nothing but it will save you from hunting down NLA items later.

and finally a 16 foot piece of 1/8th inch c-channel backed with 2x6 PT spanning the two halves of the barn for engine/body hoist, my new compressor and sand blaster in the rear and a new cleaned out space in the far right which will be a spray booth! more to come soon.
20151011_183338.jpg

The tub is done, but be sure to pick off all the little parts that are attached to it, even the grommets and green connectors. These may seem like nothing but it will save you from hunting down NLA items later.

Will do.. have everything so far labeled in one gallon ziplock bags ... can see through em and can write on em with a sharpie.

Give each of those coins on the floor a good look over - might get lucky;)

Do yourself a big favor and write the part name on a post it note and put it in the bag as well as writing on the bag itself. This will ensure that you know what is in the bag if it gets rubbed off the bag.

x2 on keeping small items and keep the tub until you finish your project , you need it to get measurment of things like roll bar mounting holes and other details. I've seen worse tub be resurrected here on mud, with a lot of work , a gozzard transplantation is also a lot of work but it give you peace of mind knowing that rust will never get back.

nice working area ,keep posting detail and pics.

x2 on keeping small items and keep the tub until you finish your project , you need it to get measurment of things like roll bar mounting holes and other details. I've seen worse tub be resurrected here on mud, with a lot of work , a gozzard transplantation is also a lot of work but it give you peace of mind knowing that rust will never get back.

nice working area ,keep posting detail and pics.

Thanks, good point on saving the tub. Planning on trying to get it off in one piece without it totally falling apart.
May have found a metal tub instead... will post soon more pics.

20151023_152246.jpg
20151023_152251.jpg
20151023_152257.jpg
20151023_152948.jpg
20151023_153000.jpg
update on the project just about one month in. pulled the body off today and removed the tank.

Last edited:
I really dont know how you all find time to update these threads but i also drag my butt... so here is an update almost a year later.
what weve done. pulled engine. sent head and block to machine shop. bored 20 over. almost got away with just reringing her but
had a bit of rust that went too deep in a cylinder. new valves springs and seats. new pistions of obviously.
did the freeze plugs, new bearings etc. etc. went aluminum on the block. i know. its supposed to be black. but I like the idea of knowing where the oil leaks from.

sandblasted frame and repainted. reconditioned springs which were in great shape. waiting on a the rear gussets and maybe a new rear crossmember. new poly bushings. new hfs shackles and spring pins this week. then....
20160706_195951.jpg
20160719_193014.jpg
about two weekends out from a full rolling chassis. here are updated pics.

20160819_185507.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom