Finally, my first 100 is on the road!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
After some mechanical work, the 100 is on the road! This will be the family hauler/tow vehicle.

History- the PO contacted me about purchasing their vehicle. They had taken it to 2 shops and both confirmed the engine was blown. So a price was agreed upon and I went to get it. I bought another engine to put in. However, when I finally started looking at it, I did a compression test and found #6 had zero compression. You can read the details in this thread, but long story short, the valve guide had rust on it and acted like glue on the valve. The mechanic fixed it, put in a new starter and timing belt.

I then had to deal with emissions, again see the above thread. In short, I replaced 3 of the 4 O2 sensors and passed with flying colors. We then cleaned it up as it was pretty filthy and gave it a detail. Mrs CY went to the DMV today to get some plates.

We stepped up to this from our 7.3 diesel 4x4 Ford Excursion. This was an excellent vehicle but Ford failed to put a headrest in the middle seat in the second row. We needed 3 headrests for the kids, and this has it.

Details-
2004 with 167K, purchase from original owners
Tranny was replaced by PO at Toyota with a new OEM one at 85K. I don't know the details as to why
OEM NAV
OEM Entertainment system
Thunder cloud metallic with Gray leather
1st and 2nd row gray weather tech mats
crappy faux wood trim

Next items to do
1- replace the front rotors/brakes, the steering wheel shakes when braking
2- ordered/install a Tekonsha 3040-p adapter for my Prodigy brake controller
3- ordered a Weathertech gray cargo mat
4- need to get some seat covers. The DS is the worst with a couple of holes. I will probably go with Wet Okoles since they support SABs
5- Mrs CY has given approval for a damage multiplier so will be getting a front ARB soon
6- The faux wooden trim has faded and delaminated some. I am going to remove that and put on a brushed aluminum dash kit. I like this one, anyone used this brand before
7- get another FM transmitter. I have used them before with success, but eventually with upgrade to a VAIS or similar
8- get the steering wheel redone

Here are some pics

IMG_7127.JPG

1st and 2nd mods :)

IMG_7130.JPG

3rd mod :) @woody

IMG_7128.JPG

Cargo mat will cover this to protect it

IMG_7129.JPG

IMG_7131.JPG

Need seat covers. Toyota has the crappiest leather.

IMG_7132.JPG

Has a Parrot BT that will be removed. The dash kit will hopefully fix the delamination on the shifter bezel. If not I will get a new one

IMG_7133.JPG

I picked it off some to see how easy it will be to remove, but this is what I am dealign with. Yuck

IMG_7134.JPG

I normally don't do this but had to setup a poser pic. The 62 is for sale in case someone is looking for one :)

IMG_7135.png

IMG_7136.png

I removed the wood trim. Used plastic dash removal kit from HB for $10. Its not that hard with the kit. The worst part is the residue. It will be easier if you remove the trim pieces and soak over night with a bit of dish detergent. DONT use Goo Gone for that, it will melt/discolor the plastic.

I have the same feedback in the steering as you. I also need to do the rotors/brakes.

Nice find!

I removed the wood trim. Used plastic dash removal kit from HB for $10. Its not that hard with the kit. The worst part is the residue. It will be easier if you remove the trim pieces and soak over night with a bit of dish detergent. DONT use Goo Gone for that, it will melt/discolor the plastic.

I have the same feedback in the steering as you. I also need to do the rotors/brakes.

Nice find!

Good info for sure. I was going to wait for a hot day and then go at it.

For the rotors and brakes, go OEM, they are basically the cost of ones at the local auto store. All delivered was about $200, so very reasonable for OEM parts that are so large.

I just noticed something today while driving it. I knew it had turn signals indicators in the mirrors, which I thought was OEM, but I noticed today that the bottom of both mirrors say "MUTH Signal, USA". Looks like they are Muth Mirror Systems - Toyota Cruiser Signal® Mirrors

Nice add-on.

IMG_7139.JPG

Weathertech cargo mat came in, that was fast. Ordered Sat evening and came on Wed. It wasn't PRIME either.

I removed the seats and will put them in storage. The wires are where the PO had an amp in the back, I will keep them there for now. There was some dark glass in the floor mounts on the right side, so it appears the rear cargo window was replaced.

IMG_7141.png

Also, my Tekonsha 3040-p did too. Nice quality and it plugged right up to my Prodigy. I will install that tonight and write that up in another thread.

IMG_7142.JPG

Last edited:
Residue Removal Tip: Grab a pair of pliers that have thick rubber(ish) coating on the handles. (not the plastic-like coating, but more of a "sponge" type "sleeve"...mine were Ace Hardware with black handle "sleeves".

Use the handle to rub the pre-heated residue off of the black trim underneath the wood. The rubber handle pulls the residue off (don't know why) and all of the residue will ball-up as you work the surface.

I installed my new rotors and pads this afternoon and took it for a spin. I am pleased to say there is no more steering wheel shaking!! Oh, so nice! A well spent $200 and 4 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom