60 Series Flatbed/Ute/Tray back etc... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks really really awesome as is, but... SOA with 37s would be badass!

Here is what I did with the fuel filler. It remains to be seen whether or not it will fill. The vent is on the bottom side which is not ideal. I think in the future I will get a neck that is a straight shot rather than a curved neck. I need to build some sort of heavy "mud flap" to protect it as it sits.

I also removed the vapor separator mess and ran one of the smaller vent lines to the charcoal canister - we'll see how this works out. I can reinstall if it turns into a problem.

IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG

Got the monstaliner on and the front valence trimmed up! For reference the color is Light Quartz Gray and it is applied over black primer. The last picture is after two coats. The first coat was much darker than the second.
IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0355.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG

And the outside is mostly done. Still need to add some tie down points on the bed and build the headache rack. Maybe make some sides for the bed to it can hold stuff, but otherwise I'm just driving her around now waiting for something to break.

I'm going to pull a leaf or two from the spring pack to try and lighten the springs up a bit but I will probably end up with 63" chevies in the rear and push the axle back a bit.

Here are some pictures of her finished stance...
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG

So thinking about the rear suspension. Is there any issue with swapping stock leaves in with OME leaves. I want to lower the rear a bit. But I don't want to compromise the spring pack.

I have a set of front leaves from an fj60 that I was thinking of pulling apart and using a couple in place of some the OME leaves.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

I read through from the front. Good on yer for getting it done. Looks good to me. I was straight away thinking of Shauno's chop and then you put a vid of it in a couple of pages back.
Last week I saw a 60 shorty/ute thing in a barn here amongst a load of other sorry looking Cruisers but couldn't really get a good look at it as the bloke's a bit wired/paranoid whatever you call it? Next time I'll try to have more of a look.

Last edited:
How is the build getting on?
Some inspiration needed?
Here is one fitted with a 70 series load bed.
IMG-20151123-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20151123-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20151123-WA0002.jpg

that is PRETTY!!!, but not for full size grown up men...not much room in there for the legs. looks about the same as my fj55 single cab, and I'd have added 6" to it if I could do it again...the bed, tho, is FANTASTICAL>..

the fuel filler should be fine, not much different that how mine ended up and I can still fill it up without much fuss...

I LOVE that 70 series load bed. Too bad those things are so rare in the states. I thought maybe an early minitruck bed might look ok after it was chopped down, but those things are impossible to find in any kind of decent condition.

Here is where I am at. I've been driving it all over the place. I'm getting ready to move, so I'll put he to work soon. I need to weld/bolt on some tie down points and figure something out for a tailgate. I'm kind of wishing I had made the rear bed corners square, but oh well.

IMG_0388.JPG

And what I thought was a cool picture.

IMG_0395.JPG

Was also thinking about a cut down Ford ranger bed. Kind of similar lines to the FJ60. I figured one would be easy to find for cheap, but after looking that might not be the case.

1988 ford ranger - Google Search

craigslist.....prototyping is abitch/ no learning w/o a curve...carry on

I'v decided I'm just going to do everything to this cruiser that I've ever wanted to do. That way I can get it out of my system and one day own a nice clean 60 that I con't feel compelled to f**k with.

That said, I'm starting on the next phase of the build. I scored an fzj80 rear full float axle that will be going out back. In the front I'm going to be using IFS hubs and Tacoma rotors to match the width of the rear. I think the extra width will look decent since I lost so much body. Should drive like an indy car now (heh...) with the wider track.

I'm going to run fzj80 aluminum wheels and probably some 265s or 285s. Fzj80 wheels weigh about 22lbs and the factory steelies weigh about 27. Depending on the tire, using 265s will put my rotating weight at about 10lbs less (per wheel) than what I have now with a little bit bigger tire. Who knows what that will mean in the long run.

Everything is going to stay SUA, but I will probably end up messing with shackle mounts to get a better angle and hopefully a smoother ride.

No real progress yet. I've been slowly taking apart the front axle. There is some carnage in there from a previous life and caked on ancient grease/dirt. This is one of the messier front ends I've taken apart. I'll post some pictures in a minute.

Last edited:
Cutting stuff off the full float. I don't think I would want to do it without a torch or a plasma. The cleanup took forever.

IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

Some initial shots of the track width. No after shots yet. I'm waiting on some gaskets and spindle studs.
IMG_0511.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG

And a couple shots of the "carnage" on the drivers side. The washer was probably done by a loose wheel bearing, but the birf? Any suggestions? Loose wheel bearing too?

IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG

Keep em coming! Looks good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom