Builds "THe GeNTLeMaN" BuiLD THReaD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

in all my years of wheeling and working on cars and 4wds i have always found these two to be true.... "you get what you pay for", and "you will pay for it one way or another"...

i do not like lunch box type lockers or auto lockers, they are crude, and imo not efficient or well suited for on road driving. i have seen many break or tear other components up. also i do not think it would be a good idea in our vehicles as the amount of electronic stability controls and or traction control would like them very well. imo id go with three options, 1 an ARB, 2 TRD Elocker(retrofited from a tacoma or 4unner) or 3 a truetrac. those three would lend the best results for our rigs with the least amount of complications or notice

I've used them in 40s, 60s and 80s, very dependable, never any issues.. However, never installed one in a 470. I think you will be just fine for what they are and what you are doing wit your rig.

But if you are going to spend serious coin on SERIOUSLY DEPENDABLE lockers... my choices are...1) Harrop available from @beno, @orangefj45 @wardharris and 2) ARB

J

in all my years of wheeling and working on cars and 4wds i have always found these two to be true.... "you get what you pay for", and "you will pay for it one way or another"...

i do not like lunch box type lockers or auto lockers, they are crude, and imo not efficient or well suited for on road driving. i have seen many break or tear other components up. also i do not think it would be a good idea in our vehicles as the amount of electronic stability controls and or traction control would like them very well. imo id go with three options, 1 an ARB, 2 TRD Elocker(retrofited from a tacoma or 4unner) or 3 a truetrac. those three would lend the best results for our rigs with the least amount of complications or notice

I've used them in 40s, 60s and 80s, very dependable, never any issues.. However, never installed one in a 470. I think you will be just fine for what they are and what you are doing wit your rig.

But if you are going to spend serious coin on SERIOUSLY DEPENDABLE lockers... my choices are...1) Harrop available from @beno, @orangefj45 @wardharris and 2) ARB

J

This why i asked .... and i agree with both ... I dont wanna go the cheap rout but the only people i have seen have a problem with them were doing serious level 5 rock bouncing stuff ... and i hear steering it you have to just get used to as well ...

so next question if I installed a new diff w/o lockers can i put them in later ? ... on that same diff? ... if not what changes?

J

a lunch box locker will not work in a vehicle with active traction control like the GX. its one thing in an older rig like the 80 series and older as they had no TC at all. but much after earily 2000s and they are a no go in most SUVs and trucks.

but again i have seen more than one vehicle crippled by the side affects of a lunch box locker. i have had two friends personally have axles snap as a result of them, leaving them stranded -and no they were not being abusive nor do they abuse or neglect their vehicles. the thing about these types of lockers is they are almost always applying undo pressure and stress on other components that were never intended to have those types of loads(constant) -if you think its ok, lock the center diff in your GX and drive around like that from now on... not to mention the "shock" load that lunch box lockers can apply to components of drive trains that where never intended to see -again older vehicles that where designed with extreme or heavy duty use in mind or over build such as 80 series and older LCs, and older american trucks (think farm trucks or work trucks). the lunch box lockers or ratcheting style lockers work just fine in them, but again back in a day when a 35" tire was extreme and most people were running 31-33" tires. this style locker is not a 100% positive lock and they can slip and "shift" loads, and thats how you get the shock loading. youd be better off to run a full spool imo in the rear than installing a LBL(lunch box locker) at least that way there would be a constant positive lock.

i think a selectable locker is the way to go, either that or a very aggressive LSD like the truetrac.

anyone have any experience using the "Lock Rite" locker system? ... is it reliable ?
just curious as to why you feel the need for lockers. is it a "while you're in there" situation or did the ATRAC system in the GX dissapoint?

ATRAC is all you should need. The carrier isn't your weak spot, the ring gear is. Get a better ring gear.

Also, removing the brake lines is a cop out. It takes 10 minutes to bleed a GX470:

- pump 2-3 times with no power, bleed front right (have someone sit in the driver seat)
- pump 2-3 times with no power, bleed front left
- pump 15 times or so until the pedal goes soft (depressurize the master)
- Turn key to on (do not start) and immediately bleed back right, release pedal
- Leave key on, press pedal, bleed back left.
- Turn key off
- pump pedal 15 times or so until the pedal goes soft
- top off brake fluid

Keeping an eye on the fluid level in the bleed is also important, never let it go dry.

The rears are powered by the pump, no passive pressure.

Makes it so easy. Just did it yesterday! :p

Oh, I have an aussie in the back of my 80 (been there since 2007) and it has never given me any trouble. ATRAC and aussie would not work as it would not allow any wheel slip, so you would have to permanently perform the front ATRAC and rear locker hack from the FJ. Personally, if you can't get over it with ATRAC, you will just end up breaking something in the IFS or the rear with a GX trying. Get a buggy if you want to go extreme!

while im inclined to say yes the ATRAC system is a good system it is no locker. having a selectable locker is night and day. it will also help with the stress on the drive train by providing positive traction at all times. ATRACs is no replacement for a locker, not even close, ATRACs combined with a LSD will be a close second but still not a locker. if you plan on spending a lot of time off road or in low traction situations a locker will be very beneficial. but i imagine most would be fine with a LSD combined with the ATRACs as that would be good for on road as well as off

ATRAC is also an art. You really have to learn how to use it. It can take you places! And now my ATRAC commercial:

:deadhorse:ok ok ok ... just asking for knowledge sake ... I dont feel like i need lockers ... technically we dont need any of these things we buy ... i mean who else has had to rebuild a diff in a GX ... not too many that iv heard ... so im in there and i hope its the last time im ever there .... just exploring the options available .... so i wont have to find out after what i dont know now ....

And A-trac is good but there are situations where you have the power and approach to get over something and it would be nice to push a button to lock both wheels to help pull you over ....

and im over the Lock rite system ... just curious ... the reasons given was the reasons i asked ... i just dont wanna read "lunch box locker" again geez! LOL ;) jk

Also, removing the brake lines is a cop out. It takes 10 minutes to bleed a GX470:

- pump 2-3 times with no power, bleed front right (have someone sit in the driver seat)
- pump 2-3 times with no power, bleed front left
- pump 15 times or so until the pedal goes soft (depressurize the master)
- Turn key to on (do not start) and immediately bleed back right, release pedal
- Leave key on, press pedal, bleed back left.
- Turn key off
- pump pedal 15 times or so until the pedal goes soft
- top off brake fluid

Keeping an eye on the fluid level in the bleed is also important, never let it go dry.

The rears are powered by the pump, no passive pressure.

Makes it so easy. Just did it yesterday! :p

yeah sounds like a breeze ... specially when your at an event and you ask some one a question about a Lexus o_O .... It was literally a different answer from everyone we asked ... we weren't in our comfy garage with internet access either ... we was in gravel with a limited knowledge and tools ... its really fine though ... nothing was hurt it just needs to be put back together ... I'm just glad i was able to drive 7hrs home .... (did i mention i love this vehicle).... and since your very knowledgeable you can explain to me how this parking break goes back together
:worms:

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the ARB air locker. Mainly because that's what I have seen first hand but
:deadhorse:ok ok ok ... just asking for knowledge sake ... I dont feel like i need lockers ... technically we dont need any of these things we buy ... i mean who else has had to rebuild a diff in a GX ... not too many that iv heard ... so im in there and i hope its the last time im ever there .... just exploring the options available .... so i wont have to find out after what i dont know now ....

And A-trac is good but there are situations where you have the power and approach to get over something and it would be nice to push a button to lock both wheels to help pull you over ....

and im over the Lock rite system ... just curious ... the reasons given was the reasons i asked ... i just dont wanna read "lunch box locker" again geez! LOL ;) jk

yeah sounds like a breeze ... specially when your at an event and you ask some one a question about a Lexus o_O .... It was literally a different answer from everyone we asked ... we weren't in our comfy garage with internet access either ... we was in gravel with a limited knowledge and tools ... its really fine though ... nothing was hurt it just needs to be put back together ... I'm just glad i was able to drive 7hrs home .... (did i mention i love this vehicle).... and since your very knowledgeable you can explain to me how this parking break goes back together
:worms:
I have a special tool for the parking brake and step by step reinstallation instructions I can get to you. Not going to lie its not fun.

And while I'm posting I'll put in my 2 cents on the locker. I am a fan of the ARB lockers for the simple fact that you have it if you need and you don't if you don't. Just pressing a button to make sure you get the best chance at getting through an obstacle. Plus the compressor has a dual purpose. But it also depends on what you are using your rig for. I would not be using my locker to try and go down a trail a should not be and telling myself I have a locker I can do it. We will be using our rig for more overlanding and would like the assurance I can get out there and back. But then again I'm not re-gearing or putting lockers till I break something. :)

I'm a fan of the ARB air locker. Mainly because that's what I have seen first hand but

I have a special tool for the parking brake and step by step reinstallation instructions I can get to you. Not going to lie its not fun.

And while I'm posting I'll put in my 2 cents on the locker. I am a fan of the ARB lockers for the simple fact that you have it if you need and you don't if you don't. Just pressing a button to make sure you get the best chance at getting through an obstacle. Plus the compressor has a dual purpose. But it also depends on what you are using your rig for. I would not be using my locker to try and go down a trail a should not be and telling myself I have a locker I can do it. We will be using our rig for more overlanding and would like the assurance I can get out there and back. But then again I'm not re-gearing or putting lockers till I break something. :)

1) good! ... it didnt really seem much different than an old drum brake setup bc that's basically what it is ...

2) ditto ... its another tool on your vehicle .... the tool between factory traction and a winch

If you lock, ARB for sure!

Oh, and the e-brake is doable, but just remember the spring clips will become the subject of nightmares for years to come lol. They are a PITA. I assume the special tool is for just this purpose because I almost cut myself to ease the pain.

I get it. Especially out in the woods. No worries, just saying, it is easier than you think, once you know (now you do).

If you lock, ARB for sure!

Oh, and the e-brake is doable, but just remember the spring clips will become the subject of nightmares for years to come lol. They are a PITA. I assume the special tool is for just this purpose because I almost cut myself to ease the pain.

I get it. Especially out in the woods. No worries, just saying, it is easier than you think, once you know (now you do).
ARB is the only thing I have seen first hand and I've never seen it fail and it never had a problem engaging.

Yes it is a spring tool and it is a life saver. I've contemplated putting a rag in the gas tank and lighting it on fire over parking brakes haha

If I would have been there we would have bled the brakes. I do it everyday so its no biggie to me.

ARB is the only thing I have seen first hand and I've never seen it fail and it never had a problem engaging.

Yes it is a spring tool and it is a life saver. I've contemplated putting a rag in the gas tank and lighting it on fire over parking brakes haha

If I would have been there we would have bled the brakes. I do it everyday so its no biggie to me.

:jimlad:Hey brad you wanna go to SCC ...

:shame:Nah dude I gotta get maaaarriiiiiied... to my beautiful GF

:nailbiting:Yeah so I broke my junk at SCC ... it was really confusing to fix ... i was scared

:pompous:If i was there it would have been easy and comforting

:shifty:Im sure it would have been Brad...

LOL JK

ARB is the only thing I have seen first hand and I've never seen it fail...

Well let me be the first to assure you that nothing, not even an ARB air locker is exempt from breakage or damage... I for on have broken an ARB. It was worth it though... Anyhow ARB took it back and completely rebuilt it for free (and I didn't even buy it brand new and they knew it). And that's one thing you are part ng for with them, their awesome customer service.

My point is every can and will fail if pushed hard enough. But if don't think anyone is going to have that issue here with the GX.

:jimlad:Hey brad you wanna go to SCC ...

:shame:Nah dude I gotta get maaaarriiiiiied... to my beautiful GF

:nailbiting:Yeah so I broke my junk at SCC ... it was really confusing to fix ... i was scared

:pompous:If i was there it would have been easy and comforting

:shifty:Im sure it would have been Brad...

LOL JK
hahaha I didn't think of it like that

Well let me be the first to assure you that nothing, not even an ARB air locker is exempt from breakage or damage... I for on have broken an ARB. It was worth it though... Anyhow ARB took it back and completely rebuilt it for free (and I didn't even buy it brand new and they knew it). And that's one thing you are part ng for with them, their awesome customer service.

My point is every can and will fail if pushed hard enough. But if don't think anyone is going to have that issue here with the GX.
Yes everything when off roading can fail I have just never seen one. Heck we buy Toyotas bc we think they will never break down but they do. I personally just think it is the best option for our vehicles and what we seem to be using them for. Most people I know with lockers only use them once a year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom