Paint job suggestions 1970 FJ40 (OR/WA) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping to find some help painting my 1970 FJ40. I picked it up a few months ago, sight unseen, and have been working on the dreaded electrical work (PO(S) said 'everything electrical was working great'). I won't go into details. Anyway, the body is very solid with essentially no rust. It has been primed but has been that way for 3-4 years. The hardtop is in pieces and has been sanded but not primed. Fiberglass top also needs to be sanded and repainted.

I don't have the tools to take on a full body spray but I'm hoping somebody on here knows of either a shop or Cruiserhead that can is willing to paint the outside. Definitely not looking for a shelf queen paint job - just want a good spray and clear coat. I can provide detailed pictures if anyone knows anyone even considering picking up some extra money on the side. Since the hardtop is in pieces, I'm going to have to trailer it and I didn't really want to trailer it all over hell and back getting different quotes unless I have to. I'm located on the North Oregon Coast but can travel a pretty decent distance for the right opportunity.

I also have a friend with a newly acquired 1977 FJ40 that also needs a paint job. His may need a bit more body work but hopefully we can get a bulk discount deal. :) Thanks in advance for any help or leads.

i did 90% of the body work on mine and it is still costing 3k to get it painted. good luck!

Thanks for the heads up. The body work looks pretty good but I'm no expert by any means. I'm going to take it into the "big city" (Portland) for a bunch of quotes. I was just hoping to find a few leads before I went blindly into body shops.

If you haven't done it yet, why not DIY? I'm doing it. Ordered my paint from TCP Global paints Urethane single stage. Summit has great prices on paint and epoxy primer but did not have a color I could use.
Yes I may regret it (not) but I can do it. I've bought 3 of the Harbor Freight professional grade (ok ok ok ok!) HPLV sprayers, and the respirator, (Shave beard before using.) Two car garage gonna be tight, bought new Husky 60 gallon compressor copper piped plumbed it in. I figure the money saved bought the compressor and all the parts and materials for the semi restoration on the 40. And I will still have money left over to repaint if I have to. I won't have to though. yes the prep work is time consuming. It's an adventure!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Captn. I probably should have just bit the bullet and done it myself but I actually I found a guy in Portland that is doing it for $2500. That includes the inside dash and windshield the entire exterior, headliner inside the hardtop, complete hardtop reassembly, etc. It looked like he did pretty good work. My buddy just bought a '77 and he's thinking about tackling his paint job DIY so I think I'll practice on his first. I'd love to see your before and after shots once you get to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom