The welders thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well Im new here and this is probably a spot where I would be more comfortable so I will post my setup. Don't know if this is the place for a small introduction so I will hold off on that.

Self taught starting just under 2 years ago. Busted ass and got job welding in a custom shop about 6 months in. Did 6 months there and wasn't learning anything new so I branched out on my own. Some things happened and I haven't welded much in the last 8 months but thats changing.

I have a pretty simple personal set up and a few other option at work. I did a lot of stainless welding for the custom elevator interior industry. I branched out on my own and started picking off quite a few jobs in the bar/restaurant sector. I also do quite a bit of welding on cars and motorcycles personally or for friends. I work with steel aluminum brass and bronze most often welding/brazing. Haven't been able to weld as much as I would like lately but I've made some strides to change that in a hurry. Setup my welding gear in at work now and have a few machining/welding projects that should be pretty cool coming up. Here is a brief run down of what I use.

Hoods;
Speedglas 9100FX
Opterl Satellite
Sugar scoop w/ shade 10 lens

My machine;
Miller Dynasty 200dx
Coolmate 3
Weldcraft flexhead torch 25' lead
Wireless pedal

Work machines;
Old Miller Dialarc HF
Even Old Miller 330A/BP Inert gas welder
Airco CV 300 mig welder

Welding section I got to setup at work now

This was my first weld in probably 8 months due to my new job and moving out of my shop. Exhaust for my chopper

Inside of the stainless tube

Nice welds, and I love the bike! That is pretty heavy stainless, what's that for?

Yeah, its for my bike. Its .065" wall but the reflection off the bevel may make it look greater. Between the .430" exhaust flanges and the tubing you could crane the bike up from the exhaust if the heads wouldn't break. I could have gone thinner but I wanted to get this exhaust under my belt first before I did a thinner wall 316 SS set I have in mind. The previous post you can also see I was trying to get my purge dialed in as I was having trouble until I got another tank and flowmeter and made some purge plugs.

A long time since any activity on this thread. I was looking for some feedback on MIG. Posting a few pics, maybe I'll get some comments. A newbie MIG guy. Trying to get good enough for my SOA
Weld6.JPG
Weld6.JPG
Weld4.JPG
Weld5.JPG
Weld5.JPG

Weld7.JPG

Weld3.JPG

A long time since any activity on this thread. I was looking for some feedback on MIG. Posting a few pics, maybe I'll get some comments. A newbie MIG guy. Trying to get good enough for my SOAView attachment 1405904 View attachment 1405904 View attachment 1405906View attachment 1405905 View attachment 1405905

View attachment 1405903

View attachment 1405907

I beat on this thing with an 8 lb. sledge before I did the inside angle weld. Held great, but would I trust my life on it?:hmm:

The only real way to tell is to cut the weld, then polish and etch it to see what the penetration looks like.

Looking at the exterior of the weld, it looks like you didn't have enough wire speed for the speed at which you were moving the torch. Your heat affected zone is pretty thin for the metal thickness. Get another couple pieces of test metal and run another bead, but slower.

Looking at the exterior of the weld, it looks like you didn't have enough wire speed for the speed at which you were moving the torch. Your heat affected zone is pretty thin for the metal thickness. Get another couple pieces of test metal and run another bead, but slower.

Thanks, I'll try that, I'll see if I can do it within a couple hours, otherwise, I've got to go out of town for a while, in which case it'll be 10 days. Now that you mention it, I looked up some pics showing the heat affected zone, I totally agree, looks like there almost isn't much zone at all.

you may want to say how thick and how many amps

Do you have etching solution?

Penetration doesn't look good from these pictures.

I agree, penetration not good. I've got some naval jelly I hear works for this. I'll try that for a better look. Right now I'm thinking pausing more on the front of the puddle, keeping the arc there longer and not so much side to side weaving

Yup, naval jelly should work, just make sure to sand the edges smooth before etching to allow the lines to stand out more.

Pausing more on the front of the puddle should allow the puddle to wick more into the root as well as penetrate more. It'll slow you down which will help as well.

Yup, naval jelly should work, just make sure to sand the edges smooth before etching to allow the lines to stand out more.

Pausing more on the front of the puddle should allow the puddle to wick more into the root as well as penetrate more. It'll slow you down which will help as well.

Really appreciating the input/feedback, thanks:clap:

Self learning TIG. As they saying goes:

A Grinder and Paint makes the Welder I ain't!

TIG1.jpg

TIg2.jpg

welderandpaint1.jpg

Well at least there's lot's of resources in the form of videos, blogs, forums such as this one etc. to learn by. I especially like all of these from Welding Tips and Tricks:

Jody of WeldingTipsAndTricks has been a great resource.
Since watching his video's my MIG stuff has gotten better by leaps and strides.

TIG takes a lot of practice, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom